VW Passat 2.0 TDI 58 Plate - Rough gear change when cold - aces4al

Hi all I recently bought a 58 plate passat 2.0 tdi, the problem is that when I go to change gear from 1st to 2nd I get a big jolt when I dip the clucth. The problem seems to be when the engine is cold and eases as the engine warms up though not totally gone. As i'm new to owning a vw i don't know if this is a common issue or not or is it just cause the engine is cold or is it just me releasing the clutch too quick? although I don't think it's that. I have looked a bit on the net but i cant really find anything other than the engine mounts or the gearbox oil could either need topping up or its the wrong one. Can anyone help shed some light on this please?

VW Passat 2.0 TDI 58 Plate - Rough gear change when cold - RobJP

Clutch knackered. DMF (dual mass flywheel) knackered. Those are probably the most likely suspects.

Gearbox oil is a possibility, as are mounts, but a lot less likely.

VW Passat 2.0 TDI 58 Plate - Rough gear change when cold - Railroad.

I agree with the above. Dual mass flywheel most likely worn and needs replacing.

is the dmf a big fix?

It's next to the clutch. The work involved in replacing the DMF involves taking the clutch out too, so usually if you're doing one, you do the other at the same time (minimal extra labout involved with doing both).

If you've got to ask if it's a big fix, then it's probably a garage job rather than a DIY job.

As to why it needs doing, and what it is ... DMFs are put into (mostly) diesel engined cars to absorb the torque shock to the gearbox. Without a DMF, modern diesels can rip apart the internals of gearboxes. So it's a sacrificial part. As to how long they last, it all depends on how the car is driven, and the type of DMF it is. Different manufacturers use different methods of building DMFs. All wear out eventually, but far cheaper to replace a DMF than a gearbox.

Another of the downsides of modern diesel engined, manual gearboxed cars, I'm afraid.

it only has 58000 miles on it, could it still be that, you would think they last longer than that

VW Passat 2.0 TDI 58 Plate - Rough gear change when cold - gordonbennet

it only has 58000 miles on it, could it still be that, you would think they last longer than that

Depends how its been driven, ride the clutch (overheating by holding on clutch on hills) or drive it like an idiot as some do hire/pool/company/someone else's car, and the DMF/clutch can be destroyed in very short order.

As RobJP above, DMF is just one of the many pleasures of modern Diesel (and some petrol) manual ownership, especially when you don't know how it's been treated previously.

thanks for the help, think the car will be going back then if thats the problem

You say you 'recently' bought the car. That's not really very detailed. Was it a week ago, or 7 months ? How many miles have you done in the time yuou've owned it ?

If you're looking at taking it back to where you bought it from, then answers to those questions would be needed to see if the selling garage would / might be responsible for costs of getting it fixed.

i have had the car 2 weeks now only done 100 miles or so.

In which case, yes, you can take it back there and insist on the selling garage fixing it, they will be responsible for ALL the costs. If they won't do that, then you can insist on a FULL refund.

VW Passat 2.0 TDI 58 Plate - Rough gear change when cold - galileo

Depends how its been driven, ride the clutch (overheating by holding on clutch on hills) or drive it like an idiot as some do hire/pool/company/someone else's car, and the DMF/clutch can be destroyed in very short order.

A friend of mine worked for a company that had manufactured crankshaft dampers for many years; they were asked to quote for DMFs and after designing and testing a number of types, declined to supply as they could not guarantee durability to their usual standards.

After researching the dmf problems on the net Iam not so sure that's the problem as it only does a small clunk when dipping the clutch to go for 2nd gear and it's not very often this happens. Could the sub frame bolts do this as I have heard they can be a common problem aswell, Iam not discounting the dmf but after watching videos and the other material on the symptoms and sounds of a dodgy dmf it doesn't really match up

VW Passat 2.0 TDI 58 Plate - Rough gear change when cold - Cyd

I feel I must ask:

Why are you trying to diagnose this problem (remotely too)?

As you have only had the car 2 weeks and 100 miles, take it back to the vendor, it is their responsibility to diagnose and fix the problem.