VW Golf Mk3 German Spec - 96' golf idle issue - craz_dakota

Ok, so i have had my car for a little over a year. Only had a couple problems. Mostly things that you would expect from a cheap car. I bought it for $100USD and in total (Including tires, breaks, spark plugs ext.) i sit at about $1300USD.

Recently i started to have a problem. If im accellerating, everything is fine. When i press the clutch however, the rpms drop down and start bouncing between 700 and 1400 rpms. And if i am at a steady speed, sometimes it'll sputter.

Initialy i thought it may have been the ignition coil because last time i had an issue similar, to that, i replaced it with another one from the junk yard. This time, no luck.

Another thing i have found is that if i turn the key to the on possiton without starting it, i hear a rattling sound coming from underneath the Throttle Body. From reading around, it seems ther may be a gasket or somthing under there that may be leaking? But im not too sure thats the issue because it makes that sound with the engine off.

Any help would be appriciated. I just hope its not going to cost too much.

VW Golf Mk3 German Spec - 96' golf idle issue - elekie&a/c doctor

I would think this is fitted with Bosch Mono jetronic single point injection.Fairly simple and reliable system.However,there is a flexible rubberised gasket/joint that fits between the throtle body and inlet manifold.These are known to split and cause air leaks.Needs to be checked.The rattling sound from around the throttle body is probably the electric idle speed actuator.,which also incorporates the idle contact switch.Also make sure all the connector plugs are clean and not oil soaked.

VW Golf Mk3 German Spec - 96' golf idle issue - Railroad.

Your car may be too old to apply, but if it has an electronic throttle body with no seperate idle speed control motor, and if you've been fiddling about with it then you will need someone with VCDS to reset the basic settings and to allow the ECM to re-learn the values. The engine will not run properly otherwise. The ETB must be clean and working properly before you do it.

VW Golf Mk3 German Spec - 96' golf idle issue - craz_dakota

It's a mechanical. My buddies and i were looking at it today. And we think it is that rubber gasket as well as the solenoid. We are going to start working on it tomorrow and see what we can find. The vacuum lines are fine, but we cant really get at the gasket without pulling it apart. My buddy said it was pretty much just "dieseling" like how diesels can run away.

Edited by craz_dakota on 20/11/2014 at 16:57