Jeep Cherokee - Jeep Cherokee Recall - 2002-2007 Jeep Ref N46 - Rid58

Took my Jeep in for a safety recall and, as it failed, the Dealer installed a cross-car beam. The dealer had to remove the tow bar to do this and now I have been told that the car cannot currently be fitted with one (Jeep cannot source one to fit once the cross-car beam has been fitted). As I bought the Jeep from new with a tow bar (to tow things) I was naturally a little upset that I now had a vehicle not fit for purpose. The Dealer was no help and Jeep customer services attitude was essentially 'tough'. Do I have any legal rights re some sort of compensation from Jeep?

Jeep Cherokee - Jeep Cherokee Recall - 2002-2007 Jeep Ref N46 - RobJP

No. They stopped making this vehicle in 2007. Therefore it is outside any liability under SOGA

Jeep Cherokee - Jeep Cherokee Recall - 2002-2007 Jeep Ref N46 - RT

There's debate on some forums whether the recall is relevant for diesel versions as it was petrol/gasoline models that caught fire in the US.

Jeep made a new towbar in the US which was fitted FOC to all recalled cars that had towbars but that Towbar isn't Type Approved for Europe.

The issue also affects earlier Grand Cherokee's.

Fiat/Chrysler estimate 30,000 cars are involved - no idea if that's just the UK, just Europe or globally.

Jeep Cherokee - Jeep Cherokee Recall - 2002-2007 Jeep Ref N46 - Rid58

To update: After taking advice from Honest John/Citizens Advice and passing on the problem to Trading Standards and Motor Code re the Car Dealers legal responsibilities and Fiats lack of customer care, I have now finally pressed the Car Dealer to buy back my Cherokee at more than trade in value. It took the threat of legal action mind you, but at least I can now go and get a vehicle that will tow. Naturally I will not be getting a vehicle from the Fiat Group (ever again?).