Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 tddi cuts out after 8 seconds - welshsteven
Hi guys, hope this is in the right place. I've got a mondeo 2001 tddi - Long story short - I broke down, the car cut out, no fuel, lift pump wasn't running. Cut the wires, Put 12v directly to the lift pump and got it going, bled the pipes and car started fine. Drove it for an hour or so, stopping and starting all the while running the lift pump from the cigarette lighter, (although it seemed to run fine without the pump running).

Parked up for a few hours, next time I started the car, it started fine but cut out after 8 seconds. Started again, cut out after 8 seconds again. No matter what revs it's doing or weather I'm driving or not. 8 seconds and it cuts out seemingly electrically. No warning lights, starts straight away again so no air in the system or fuel problems. The only thing wrong is the lift pump is disconnected.

Could this be an Ecu problem. Is it recognising there is no lift pump? If so why did I drive it for an hour previously? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks.

Steve.
Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 tddi cuts out after 8 seconds - elekie&a/c doctor

This is a direct injection system with an electronic diesel pump.Are you sure there is a lift pump on this?I don't recall ever seeing one on this engine.

Thanks for your reply. By lift pump I mean a 12v bullet style pump mounted externally of the tank, That feeds fuel up to the filter. Because of the timing and precision of the cut outs, ie after 8 seconds, and the fact it's able to start again instantly, I am presuming this is some kind of electronic cut out. Would a diagnostic test on these age cars be relevant? Steve
Ford Mondeo - Ford mondeo 2001 tddi cuts out after 8 seconds - elekie&a/c doctor

This early type system does have a limited diagnostic facility.There is an ecu and an electronic pump(probably Bosch).However this car is not obd2 compatible,so any happy shopper scanner will possibly not work.

If anyone is interested. It was the fuel lift pump module fuse. It was fed from fuse way f27 in the engine bay fuse box. not f23 like I thought.