VW Passat 2013 - Vw passat with 95k @ 18 months old... worth buying - rg75
Hi... am thinking about buying a vw passat diesel 170 BHP, this one has full history, but has done 95k in the 18 months of its life. Its got full history (long life at 20/40/60/80k miles), so suggests it has been well maintained.

However, what else should I look for, or should I spend the same money on a 3 year old car with ~60k miles (same price for same spec car)

Any thoughts / views welcome.

Also - anyone know how often the cambelt needs changing on these?
VW Passat 2013 - Vw passat with 95k @ 18 months old... worth buying - daveyK_UK

Buy a mondeo.

Better to drive, better built more reliable, cheaper to insure, cheaper parts

Badge snobs need not apply

VW Passat 2013 - Vw passat with 95k @ 18 months old... worth buying - brighteyes
Depends how much you're going to pay for it. Sounds like it's been a fleet car and the chances are that most of the mileage has been on the motorway. I think that at that mileage the cam belt should have already been done, it may even be coming up for it to be changed again. I would suggest you do some homework regarding price, reliability, running costs etc etc. There's plenty of information out there, so do the research and if you think you're getting your moneyworth then go for it.
VW Passat 2013 - Vw passat with 95k @ 18 months old... worth buying - gordonbennet

It's not a make or model that would appeal to me, but unless the vehicle has been on private hire work, nearly all that mileage will have been in high gear on the open road, so wear should be as low as possible for the given mileage.

I don't agree that 20k servicing qualifies as well maintained but that's in accordance with the makers requirements for the relatively short warranty period, and it has been done.

Spend some time perusing HJ's reviews above, sobering reading there.

Not suggesting you look for one, but to put things in context if you found a Hyundai i40 at the same miles and age it would still have 3.5 years makers warranty left.

Other contenders in this bracket, Avensis, Optima.

VW Passat 2013 - Vw passat with 95k @ 18 months old... worth buying - Benugo

I've just handed a Seat Exeo back after 150k in three years that had the same engine.

The belt change didn't crop up until around the 120k mile mark.

It proved to be a very reliable engine. I now have the same one in a Skoda.

The trim and build quality of the SEAT was very disappointing. The Passats on our fleet wore the abuse better.

VW Passat 2013 - Vw passat with 95k @ 18 months old... worth buying - Mike H

They both have enough miles on them to have been (probably) used on decent length journeys, and for any potential problems to show up. If you like the drive, and do your homework on the price you are paying, insurance, parts prices etc, then why not? As to which of the two you should buy, I'd be torn between them. The younger car will probably be worth less a couple of years down the line because of its mileage, and be more difficult to sell on if that is your intention. If, like me, you plan to run a car for some years and aren't particularly bothered about depreciation, then it's irrelevant.

The Mondeo being "nicer to drive" is purely subjective, and will probably depreciate more than the Passat. I have no axe to grind having never owned or driven a Passat, but one of our good friends has had a string of them because they suit him.

VW Passat 2013 - Vw passat with 95k @ 18 months old... worth buying - craig-pd130

Bit of a tangent but 95,000 miles in 18 months is over 175 miles every single day. Much as I love driving, I wouldn't like to drive THAT far every day.

VW Passat 2013 - Vw passat with 95k @ 18 months old... worth buying - Snakey

I would say the answer to the question is completely down to the price!

If its only a marginal saving over a lower mileage equivalent, then no - but if its a good deal cheaper then it might be in better overall condition than something 3-4 years older purely down to its age.