Ford Focus - Hesitancy on accelerating after slowing down - dmhcaspian

I have a really weird issue with my 55 Reg Ford Focus 1.8 tdci.

Sometimes, having slowed down at, for example a roundabout, and on the overrun, as I try to accelerate away the engine misses a couple of times, giving a kangaroo effect.

In the old days of carburettors, I’d have suggested a blocked jet.

As the journey continues, so the kangarooing does, and sometimes, eventually the big red exclamation mark inside a cog wheel “imminent disaster” warning light comes on.

And this is where it gets weird, after that for the rest of the journey the car runs absolutely perfectly. Pulls smoothly, good fuel consumption. No problems at all.

When I next turn the engine on, the light stays out and I may or may not get my ‘overrun kangaroo’ back.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Ford Focus - Hesitancy on accelerating after slowing down - elekie&a/c doctor
Fuel filter been changed recently?
Ford Focus - Hesitancy on accelerating after slowing down - madf

As above - fuel filter

Or

EGR valve sticking.

Or turbo vanes sticking

or split turbo pipe..

or

all sorts of things.

When was it last serviced, by whom , at what miles.. and how many miles has it done. Supermarket diesel?

Ford Focus - Hesitancy on accelerating after slowing down - skidpan

Supermarket diesel?

Not that one again.

Been using pretty much supermarket fuel now since the mid 80's and never had a problem. It meets the specifications of the relevant standard thus cannot be blamed.

Considering that supermarket fuel accounts for over 45% of fuel sales in the UK if there was an issue with it there would be dead cars littering the roads everywhere.

To the OP.

Has the car been serviced correctly with the Ford Schedule using the correct oils. If not get that done ASAP and take it from there if the problem persists.

Thanks for the suggestions: Yes it IS serviced regularly with all the right parts.

I'm having trouble understanding how any of the suggestions could have anything to do with the problem, because once that warning light comes on, the car drives perfectly.

It must surely be that when the light comes on, the electronincs stop trying to do something. - A split pipe would not mend itself, and I don't see how turbo vanes unstcik when the warning light comes on, and then stick again when the ignigtion is turned off.

Similarly, the fuel in the car is the same weather or not the light is on.

Last week I drove nearly 200 delightful miles with the light on. The next morning, no light, but the problem came back after about an hour.

Ford Focus - Hesitancy on accelerating after slowing down - Railroad.
I think the only way you're going to get to the bottom of this other than by a sheer fluke is with the use of diagnostic equipment monitoring live data as you drive. You'll be looking for a loss of crankshaft or camshaft signal, fuel pressure, mass air flow and turbo boost pressure as the fault occurs. No one is saying this is going to be easy or cheap though. Sadly modern cars with these kind of faults are a nightmare to diagnose. The manufacturers throw them together as cheaply as they can get away with, making repairs at a later date very difficult.

Skidpan talks rubbish about supermarket fuel. The base stock is the same with all diesel and 95RON unleaded, and 97RON unleaded. What is different is the additives which are there for engine cleaning and performance. Supermarket fuel is cheaper than branded fuel, and it's not just because they're doing you a favour.
Skidpan talks rubbish about supermarket fuel.

Please tell me why saying

"Been using pretty much supermarket fuel now since the mid 80's and never had a problem. It meets the specifications of the relevant standard thus cannot be blamed.

Considering that supermarket fuel accounts for over 45% of fuel sales in the UK if there was an issue with it there would be dead cars littering the roads everywhere"

is rubbish.

Its what I have observed and considering the amount of fuel sold by supemarkets most buyer agree.

The simple fact is Ford will say in your handbook and on the fuel flap that you must use only diesel that complies with BSEN690. ALL diesel sold in the UK meets this specification and that includes supermarket fuel.

The additives that certain fuel companies claim makes the fuel better has no scientific standing, how can they, the fuel companies won't tell us what they are. Some people simply think if its more expensive it must be better.

Edited by skidpan on 29/10/2014 at 14:24

We all know about the British and European standards by which all fuels must comply, and they all do, but the fact is the supermarket end product is of lesser quality than branded fuels. That's why they're cheaper. Cars definitely perform slightly better on better fuel.

Twice a year we visit Scotland, have done now for over 20 years. Over the week we do at least 1200 miles. Whilst we are ther we have to use the one filling station in the town and its Esso. We fill up shortly after we get there and again before we set off back home.

In those 20 years and 40 or more visits I can honestly say that I have not noticed any of our cars run better than they do on supermarket fuel. That is 5 cars in total, 1 petrol and 4 diesels.

I have also not noticed any of the cars doing any more mpg on the return trip either.

Our current car has a DPF fitted. On supermarket fuel it does a regen every 250 to 300 miles. On the Esso it does a regen between 250 and 300 miles.

All fuels start off in the same refineries as the same base fuel and the different brands have a different additive package put in. All the evidence submitted is very unscientific and so far has proved nothing to me except I might just as well keep saving my money.

But if others want to spend an extra 5 p a litre or more go ahead, its your money.

But it does not help when posters with a car problem are told its the fuel when that is not the case.

The additives that certain fuel companies claim makes the fuel better has no scientific standing, how can they, the fuel companies won't tell us what they are. Some people simply think if its more expensive it must be better.

Up until the mid 1980s petrol contained lead. Its purpose was to lubricate the upper cylinder including valves and valve seats. It also helped to prevent 'pinking', a potentially damaging rattling sound that occured when the fuel/air mixture was ignited too early, causing the piston to compress an expanding gas. Lead served its purpose very well, and engines ran well on 4 star fuel, until it was discovered that lead was poisonous and harmful to the environment. It was decided to stop adding lead, and by 1992 all petrol engine cars had a catalytic converter which had to use unleaded fuel. Removing lead from fuel meant that other ways of preventing engine knocking had to be used. Nowadays fuels have a cocktail of additives designed for modern engines. The days of regularly de-coking an engine are also behind us thanks to modern fuel additives. Different fuel companies use a different cocktail. They're also continuously looking to improve them. Supermarket fuels do have additives - they have to, but they tend to concentrate on lower price rather than better quality.

The days of regularly de-coking an engine are also behind us thanks to modern fuel additives

And that applies to supermarket fuels as well.

Don't forget that modern fuel injected engines run much clean than old carburettor'd enhgines. That has probably had more of an effect on the need to decoke than any fuel additive.

On the additive front, and for what it's worth, the car does run noticeably smoother with Millers diesel plus, - And the fuel consumption is better.

I've recerntl been getting about 550 miles between fill up and the low fuel light coming on,, at which point about 45 litres is needed for a fresh fill up.

I think the problem is now solved.

I boought a bottle of Archoil AR6400D.

Poured the whole lot into an empty tank and filled up.

The car has never run better. Ne hesitancy at all ever, smooth pickup and super acceleraton. I shall miss it when the ploticians decide that diesel cars are the new cannabis, and effectively tax them to death.

No one seems to noitce that breathing issues are still getting worse, while diesel engnes are now cleaner than they have been ever. In many cases the air coming out of a diesel car is cleaner than the air that went in.

In the meantime I bought a gallon of millers.

I wouldn't go quite as far as to say that modern diesels are clean, but thanks to common rail diesel fuel injection running on ultra low sulphur fuel with fuel pressure higher than ever before, and ECM controlled injectors that can be much more precisely fired and in various stages, and with a diesel oxidation catalyst and particulate filter they are about as clean as they're ever likely to be. This comes at a price though. Modern diesels are going to be very expensive to repair when they get older thanks to their emission requirements, and DPF failures are already occurring on six and seven year old cars. They do not have an infinite life, and can only be regenerated so many times before a replacement is required.
Another word on the supermarket fuel debate. A few years ago when I was an RAC patrol I attended a Peugeot 206 which wouldn't run. It would start, but would cut out as soon as the throttle was opened. I spent ages testing this and that, and to cut a long story short I eventually disconnected the oxygen sensor and the engine ran perfectly. I followed the customer the two miles to his home and told him the car needed garage attention, and thought no more of it.

The next day I attended a Citroen Picasso with the same engine as the Peugeot, and exactly the same problem. The engine would start and idle, but would cut out when the throttle was opened. Fresh in my mind from the previous day this time I immediately disconnected the O2 sensor and the engine ran perfectly. I followed the customer to his garage and told them what I had done.

Two days later I attended a Ford Fiesta with the exact same problem, and once again I disconnected the O2 sensor and the engine ran perfectly. By now I had realised this was more than just coincidence so I reported it to the technical desk.

It was eventually discovered that the problem was a brand of supermarket fuel, which contained silicon and was having a damaging effect on the oxygen sensor. It was even reported on national news bulletins and a large number of vehicles across the country were affected. I've always been convinced that branded fuel is a better quality product than that from the supermarket, and until proof is supplied to the contrary no one is going to convince me otherwise.
It was eventually discovered that the problem was a brand of supermarket fuel, which contained silicon and was having a damaging effect on the oxygen sensor. It was even reported on national news bulletins and a large number of vehicles across the country were affected.

This was a well documented one off and very unfortunate incident that only affected cars in a small geographic area. The cars affected were repaired by the retailers (Morrisons and Tesco from memory). It also affected some small retailers as well. This fact was never publiced anywhere near as fully as the cars where the fuel came from supermarkets and I did wonder at the time if the small retailers acted as honourably as the supermarkets did.

The supermarket fuel debate has been done to death on just about every forum but here are the facts as I understand them.

All fuel in the UK regardless of where it is being retailed comes form a small number of depots.

Allegedly additives are put into the fuel at the point the fuel is put in the tanker and these mystery additives vary from retailer to retailer.

Almost 50% of fuel sold in the UK comes from supermarkets. If it was as bad as some people insist dead cars would be littering the roads. Where I live ASDA is the only large fuel retailer in town, bet it has well over 50% of sales and all the taxis in town get thier fuel from there. Don't see many dead taxis.

I have been using supermarket fuel (petrol and diesel) pretty much exclusively since the mid 80's. Never had a single issue in all that time. When I am forced to use posh fuel our cars do not run any better or do more mpg. Its all in the mind of the people who have to convince themselves its worth spending more on a branded fuel.

On the ouskirts of town there are small Shell and Total filling stations. In the past I have seen plain tankers leaving both of these sites and then going to ASDA. Proves to me you will get exactly the same fuel form whereever you buy it.

I appreciate I will never convince those people who believe what they ahve been told over the yeasr Bu I for one will not be wasting a single penny of my money on this supossed better fuel that in truth is no different.

Not being funny Skidpan and please correct me if I'm wrong but you do strike me as being more of a DIYer rather than someone who has spent all their working life in the motor trade, and so has probably not become quite so sensitive to all the little quirks about cars. There's a word for that. It's called experience. Those of us who've been in the trade all our lives will have driven more different cars in a week than most people do in their lifetime. I've used supermarket fuel in my own car in the past and I'm in no doubt that it performs better on the branded stuff. And I'm in even less doubt that it's not my imagination either.
Not being funny Skidpan and please correct me if I'm wrong but you do strike me as being more of a DIYer rather than someone who has spent all their working life in the motor trade,

You don't need to work in the motortrade to know if a car is working OK or not. I have been driving for 40 years now and can assure you I am as sensitive to small changes in my cars as any seasoned mechanic, I should be, I drive them all the time.

So in my opinion I have lots of experience.

But some muppets would never know if a car has a problem or not, witness the number of cars with easy to check things like bald or even flat tyres on the road.

For what its worth I have built 2 Caterham 7's from scratch. The car I have now started life as a 4 speed X-Flow carburettor powered car and is now a 5 speed, Zetec engined injected car. All the work was done by myself including making a number of parts and the fitting and mapping of the fuel injection. The car is now 22 years old and has never been touched by anyone other than myself except for the annual MOT, which it has never failed.

I think that qaulifies me as being a bit more than a DIYer. In truth I have far more practical experience than most of the spotty kids working in garages who only know how to do basic repairs or even some of the gorillas whose toolkit only contains a big hammer and a large dose of brute force.

As for AA patrol men I had one work for me several years ago. He had to leave his job (according to him) because knee surgury made it impossible for him to carry on so he came as a delivery driver. When we spotted his previous experience we thought it logical to pass him some of the simple maintenace duties and managment of the vehicles. He was either thick, useless or a liar. If all AA patrols were like him they would go out of bussiness.

Ford Focus - Hesitancy on accelerating after slowing down - nortones2

The standards for fuel (EN***) do not currently include detergency requirements. It's been talked about but nothing has yet been completed (I may be out of date), so the net result is that some fuels may have such compounds, but others will not. Lack of them is not immediately fatal to the engine, but some vehicles may accumulate more deposits due to differing driving conditions.Suspect that pottering about may cause problems, because even with much better fuel control, rich mixtures are present at low temps. I prefer to follow HJ on this: keep the pipes clean! Or as clean as possible. Chevron make many of the additives. They have some interesting info.

I can't comment on individual patrols but I will say that the quality of them has definitely definitely reduced in more recent years. That's down to modern clueless managers who think they can take Charlie off the street and after six weeks of training he'll know as much as it's taken the rest of us 30 years to learn. The school of thought is a modern manager can manage anything, but the truth is most of them haven't got the sense they were born with, let alone any knowledge of the job. I'm sure the same applies to other industries too.

I will say however that the AA has an enormous wealth of knowledge and experience of motoring as a whole, not to mention a vast library of technical information. They also work very closely with vehicle manufacturers, and patrol job completion information is fed back to them. I've worked on the technical helpdesk and in technical sort in the operation centre, and dealt with hundredS of queries. I've also on many occasions found and resolved problems where main dealers have previously failed, and I've appeared on local television and radio. I still have the recordings to this day.

The AA also used to many manufacturers' training. Garage mechanics attending factory courses may not have been aware that they were actually being trained by the AA. The good patrols were those who took an interest in the job and benefitted from the many forms of training available, and there were many of them. Sadly not all were or are, and those gave the organisation a bad name.