BMW 3 Series - Diesel or Petrol? - former farmer

For the past ten years I have run BMW 3 series all of them diesels. I have had no problems with any of the engines whatsoever!

With the adverse publicity about diesel emissions is it time to consider a petrol fuelled BMW when I change in the near future?

BMW 3 Series - Diesel or Petrol? - skidpan

Depends on you mileage.

Having said that I had a 2008 118D for 5 1/2 years and 37500 miles with no issues. Great engine.

BMW 3 Series - Diesel or Petrol? - RobJP

BMW diesels do seem to be far more tolerant of low mileage drivers, with regard to DPF problems. My mum has a 2009 116d, has had it from new, only done 28,000 miles in it. Mostly town driving. Once had a DPF light come on (2011, I think), I carried out a forced regen for her by taking it for a decent motorway run, nothing since then.

BMW 3 Series - Diesel or Petrol? - peterb

Depends on your driving conditions.

The particulate are mostly problematic locally, so if you drive in a city then petrol is the kind choice. If you drive longish distances in the country then diesel is probably OK.

I live in a city and drive petrol - partly because of the particulate issue and partly because petrol engines sound nicer at idle (happens a lot in cities....)

BMW 3 Series - Diesel or Petrol? - scot22

As previous said,'it depends'

I bought a diesel about 3 years ago which was not suitable for my mileage or driving style. I have paid significantly in costs, DPF etc. Having taking the hits I'm not giving anyone else the benefit, and will keep it for a while.

However, when changing I will definitely NOT have a diesel. This is now essential in my criteria.

BMW 3 Series - Diesel or Petrol? - xtrailman

Choice of engine type depends on what you want it to do.

I have had both and find ones with a turbo or two definitely provide me with what i need for towing, lots of torque and adequate power.

I do short trips and cover only 7K miles a year and have had no DPF problems ever since 2009 when i had my first diesel fitted with one, not even a dash light.

Its only city driving dailey were i would agree to avoid diesel.