AudiA4 or VW Passat - Is there any difference in build quality Audi v VW - Steveieb

Apart from the upmarket radio and climate control are the 2003 versions of the above cars exactly the same?

AudiA4 or VW Passat - Is there any difference in build quality Audi v VW - skidpan

No. Mechanically they share most componets but bodily they are totally different.

On an 11 year old car forget the badge, buy on condition and histoy.

AudiA4 or VW Passat - Is there any difference in build quality Audi v VW - Avant

In terms of build quality, Audi use slightly plusher materials inside the cars but VWs, Skodas and SEATs are assembled just as well.

But I agree - for a 2003 car go for the one in the best condition, preferably with some service history.

Edited by Avant on 20/10/2014 at 23:07

AudiA4 or VW Passat - Is there any difference in build quality Audi v VW - concrete

I agree with previous comments. My Skoda is excellent and every bit as good as my brother-in-laws' Audi. Except I have far more 'bells and whistles'- tee hee.

Mine is now 9 years old with 190K and as sweet as a nut. FSH of course because I look after it. Bargain for someone one day- but not yet, like it too much to part.

Cheers Concrete

AudiA4 or VW Passat - Is there any difference in build quality Audi v VW - oldtoffee

Passats have a very well known problem with blocked plenum chambers leading to leaks to the passenger footwelll where under the carpet and prone to soaking there is an expensive bit of electronics controlling the windows, door locks, alarms and some other functions. Not sure Audis have the same issue.

AudiA4 or VW Passat - Is there any difference in build quality Audi v VW - Hamsafar

Passats have a very well known problem with blocked plenum chambers Not sure Audis have the same issue.

The same with Audi, but usually older models as Audi is the first to use the new designs by 2-3 years.

AudiA4 or VW Passat - Is there any difference in build quality Audi v VW - Eddy56

water ingress was a problem with both A4 and Passat of that era. Pollen filter housing seal and blocked drainage holes under battery. Leads to lots of water under the footwells in chassis recesses, controller for various consumer electrics like alarm, windows and so on get immersed and then starts playing up. I had the issue, alarm going off at randomn, windows opening on thier own! VW no help as out of warranty, took two days to stip the interior and dry it out and what seemed like a coupe of gallons of water drained out of chassis when I punched a hole in in a plug under there. Fixes are DIY and will be fine if done right, but I would walk away from anyhting damp as I would imagine electrics wont stand for long term submersion. Check all footwell (front/rear) carpets for damp, press down hard and feel for damp, feel for areas that indicate a recess, press those particularly. There are pages and pages on this topipc online, how VW ever got away with it is beyond me, my local delear said they'd never heard of the problem!

AudiA4 or VW Passat - Is there any difference in build quality Audi v VW - Steveieb

Thanks for all your excellent comments.

Does the A4 Passat of this era have a north south engine and does this have benefits to the handling. Also why is East west the norm?

AudiA4 or VW Passat - Is there any difference in build quality Audi v VW - oldtoffee

My experience is that an A4 is set up for a noticeably more sportier drive than a Passat. I've driven an A4 for a month long rent and owned 2 Passats and would choose the Passat for comfort as most of my driving over the last 15 years has been motorways and some town and the Passat on 15" wheels was brilliant over the lumps and bumps and good on the motorways. The A4 on bigger wheels and sports suspension (most are) will be a more engaging drive (to be honest anything will be over a Passat) but you'll feel every bump.

Checking the bodywork and comparing the A4 with the Passat, the front offside wing appears to rust badly on Passats wheras the A4 s seem to be intact. So is the body/paint protection better on the A4?