Peugeot 206 valuation - lordwoody

My elderly mother has asked me to sell her 2001 (51 reg) 206 1.1 LX.

She bought it from new and although she has had it serviced and valeted regularly she has no receipts apart from one a year ago, which was a full service by a local garage.

She has some old MOT's which confirm the 9000 mile mileage. It is in pretty good condition overall. Her friend drives down to Porstmouth in it twice a year and it is used for local shopping every two weeks. I have to arrive at a price to sell it at and need a few opinions. I appreciate the low mileage can be seen as a problem, but also feel that may appeal to some buyers. The car has been 99% reliable but does have a faulty fuel gauge, not registering below quarter full, and I do not know if the cambelt has been changed.

My daughter may be interested in buying it, but I need to arrive at a price which is fair to both seller and buyer, and also a valuation should I need to sell it on the open market.

Edited by Avant on 20/10/2014 at 23:14

Peugeot 206 valuation - alan1302

I would say it's worth arounf £800 after looking on Auto Trader.

Peugeot 206 valuation - elekie&a/c doctor

Agreed,£6-800 would be about right.But you need to factor in a new cambelt.If it breaks it is an uneconmic repair.You can lve with the fuel gauge fault.

Peugeot 206 valuation - Andrew-T

Given the likely resale value of a 206, it sounds like a suitable Christmas present for a grand-daughter? Saves you all the hassle of advertising ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 20/10/2014 at 00:13

Given the likely resale value of a 206, it sounds like a suitable Christmas present for a grand-daughter? Saves you all the hassle of advertising ....

This is a possibility, although my mother could also do with the money. The problem/complication is that my daughter already has an early Aygo. The car has never let her down whilst driving but has been a constant source of expense at MOT time, with lots of brake related problems that have cost her a fair amount. Her thinking is that she could sell the Aygo, put any excess balance into her house deposit fund and buy ( or be gifted) the Peugeot. Her concern is that her first car ( bought against my advice, and chosen pretty much on the basis of liking the wheels and the colour) was a bit of an unreliable disaster and happend to be a 206.

Peugeot 206 valuation - gordonbennet

Valuation in these circs a difficult one, i'd give the 206 a shot, cars with this mileage through sensible use (as described) don't come up often, would be a shame to not give it a go however you value it.

My issue here is with brakes being expensive on an Aygo, that should be far from the case, they are simple as can be with cheap and easy parts availabilty, only requiring a bit of annual TLC as any and every braking system does (but seldom receives).

Presumably seizing front calipers?...the only reason these seize is neglect, properly cleaned and lubed once a year by a sensible, home or dad?, mechanic, preferably every spring when the salt has gone, they will last indefinately, friction materials cheap as chips and one of the simplest there is to work on.

It hasn't only been the brakes on the Aygo, the power steering failed recently, fixing that was £471.

Peugeot 206 valuation - Gibbo_Wirral

Fuel gauge issue should be an easy fix.

Peugeot 206 valuation - Andrew-T

Only you can answer this, but selling a car to someone you know (i.e.have to meet occasionally) can be tricky. Despite its silly low mileage, I wonder about the wisdom of replacing a 'troublesome' car with a 13-year-old one. At that age little things usually come up at MoT time. If the 206 has been kept under cover, rather than exposed to the elements, a lot may be going for it, and it should be safe to pass on to your daughter, or relatively easy to sell privately. If not, it may be wiser to sell as-is, to preserve family relations.

Unless you enjoy tinkering yourself? At least it isn't a mass of modern electronics.

Peugeot 206 valuation - Avant

You might get a little more for it if you can find the stamped service book, even if not the receipts. Stick it on Autotrader for about £950 and someone may fall for the low mileage.

I'd say your daughter's better off with the (newer) Aygo: components wear out with time as much as mileage and there could be just as many expensive problems at MoT time with the 206.