Nissan Xtrail sport 2002 - Intermittent electrical fault - kangaroomobile

Hi, recently treated my car to a service and it even passed its MOT but ever since it has had a loss of power, kangarooing along the road and stalling at de-acceleration. I have taken it back to a local garage and nothing came up on the computer or occured during the test drive. Taking the car back the problem persisted and after checking online we thought it might be the cam sensor and crank sensor so returned to the garage and had these replaced. The car did seem to run much better afterwards but within a day it was back to jerky movements as if fuel starvation and again stalling when slowing down. The garage have given up thinking of what it could be as it's so difficult to detect when it doesn't do it all the time and they've not come across it before. I notice reports of similar problems in 2010/2011 on your site and wonder if you have any solutions you can suggest or if it's time for a trade in. Many thanks - getting desparate and fed up of people honking at me and my erratic car!

Edited by kangaroomobile on 19/10/2014 at 16:56

Nissan Xtrail sport 2002 - Intermittent electrical fault - elekie&a/c doctor

Why were the crank/camsensors changed?.Googlefix didn't get this one right.Has the fuel filter been changed recently?more important if this is a diesel.

Nissan Xtrail sport 2002 - Intermittent electrical fault - ED731PDH

Not electrical, more fuel filter. On the X Trail the filter is bolted to the A frame bulkhead and it gets very cold and damp in that position. From experience supermarket fuels are the worst offender for blocking the filter on an X Trail, symptoms are juddering under load and bunny hopping when really bad. Ironically, tick over will be usually ok but wil start to play up once a load goes on. Once the temp really goes down the fiter just freezes up.

Personally, I'd get a new filter installed and then put a couple of tanks of decent fuel through. If after this it's still a case of juddering then you are looking at the two fuel suction valves for replacement which are a know issue on the X Trail engine.

Nissan Xtrail sport 2002 - Intermittent electrical fault - Simon

If the fuel filter was changed during the service was it a quality part rather than some cheap rubbish?

Nissan Xtrail sport 2002 - Intermittent electrical fault - xtrailman

Its go zero to do with supermarket fuel, i ran xtrails for 9 years only on super market fuel.

The fuel filter needs to be changed every two years or 22K miles, care has to be taken changing the fuel filter or i believe debris can get into the fuel line.

Nissan Xtrail sport 2002 - Intermittent electrical fault - Tam hallett
Hi did u fine out the problem with ur car cause mine is doing the same and garage don’t know what it is thanks tam