Volvo C30 - groaning noise back of car - scot22

While waiting at temporary lights, handbrake on, on an incline a 'groaning' came from the rear of the car. I put my foot down on brake pedal and it stopped.

Without obvious witty comments any ideas as to cause ? it seems handbrake related.

Volvo C30 - groaning noise back of car - Big John

Ignoring the fact that you shouldn't carry passengers in the boot

Simply sounds like that the handbrake wasn't quite holding the car on the incline

Like it.

However, it was only a slight incline and it has concerned ( I'm neurotic ) about the efficiency of my handbrake. Probably calls for a trip to the garage - I do trust it.

Volvo C30 - groaning noise back of car - Peter.N.

Sounds typically like the car moving slightly with the handbrake on, the obvious question to ask is was the handbrake pulled on as hard as normally? if yes, then the efficiency is falling and it may need some attention.

Yes it was full on and the incline was fairly mild. I will take the car asap to the garage for checking and any necessary work.

Thanks for your response.

Volvo C30 - groaning noise back of car - Peter.N.

Well I wouldn't say it was desperate, if you leave it in low gear it won't be going anywhere, I always do. But it will probably require attention for the MOT.

Thanks Peter, good advice. I'm neurotic and do need to be less keen to rush to the garage !