Mazda 6 Diesel - advice please, buying a Mazda 6 with 2.2 Diesel - Waynester
Hi Guys

14 years since I bought a new car, coming from a 1998 2.5 V6 Vauxhall Omega!

have been reading horror stories about some Mazda 6 cars,
but i was about to purchase one
can you all advise if what I`m about to buy will be okay?
what were the issues exactly? and when were they fixed by Mazda?
something to do with oil level rising and going into the diesel and DPF problems?

the setup date of the car I`m going to buy is 25th Jun 2010,
but registration date is 1st September 2011

its a 2.2 Diesel (163) Takuya model in black, here is the exact car I have put a deposit down on
http://www.johnsonscars.co.uk/mazda/use ... 53/mazda-6

it only has 29k on the clock, full history, looks a lovely motor, never owned Japanese before obviously

any advice on my new car would be lovely, getting excited as I`m going to pick it up next week

Wayne Harris
Keyboard Player & Vocalist
BonGioviWayne@aol.com

www.bongiovi.co.uk

www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
Mazda 6 Diesel - advice please, buying a Mazda 6 with 2.2 Diesel - madf

My advice:

Mazda has a poor reputation for quality.

Mazda diesels were pants and broke down . Mazda don't want to know.

As Clint used to say "are you feeling lucky today?" . Cos you need to be.

I'd run a mile.

Nut if you do buy, get the engine oil and filter changed regularly and use premium diesel and high quality oil.

Edited by madf on 02/10/2014 at 08:02

Mazda 6 Diesel - advice please, buying a Mazda 6 with 2.2 Diesel - gordonbennet

Yes and i'd check the oil level weekly, or daily if you cover a lot of miles, any sign of the oil level rising get it looked at.

What a sea change in reputation their modern Diesel (and their response) has reaped, in the days of the boxy 626 they enjoyed the same bomb proof tag as Nissan Bluebird/Primera1 and Toyota Corolla/Carina/Camry, indeed their Diesels were highly sought after for 4x4s being converted to Diesel.

To be fair you hear little if anything about their petrol engines causing problems, but has the damage been done?

Mazda 6 Diesel - advice please, buying a Mazda 6 with 2.2 Diesel - xtrailman

The 163 is the old engine not a skyactive one which is either 150 ps or 175ps.

I'v had a 175ps for over a year, do short journeys mainly and cover only 7K miles a year. Yes this engine will usually have some oil rise which is why you have to use the correct oil. The engine is superb in every way, and is great from towing. And the quality is easily on a parr with Nissan.

I also had some oil rise with my xtrail.

The engine you are considering has an history of failing injector seals, which can lead to the sump pickup strainer clogging up which inturn can cause low oil pressure and engine failure.

IMO its essential that it has full mazda service history, and the sump pan dropped every service to check the strainer. Do that and the car should be fine.