Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - galileo

The price difference between standard unleaded and premium (e.g Shell V power) locally is about 6%, so only worth the extra if mpg is increased by more than this amount.

Obviously some cars designed for higher octane fuel will go better, my question is not about acceleration/speed but mpg in normal driving.

Has anyone measured the difference (if any) in ordinary cars?

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - Falkirk Bairn

I use V-power - no appreciable change in mpg from normal but both my X-trail & CRV run smoother, quieter, seems a wee bit nippier........... all non-measurable by the punter.

30mpg for 9000miles = 300 gallons @ even 40p = £120.00 per year = £2.40 per week

With depreciation, Road tax, Ins, Servicing, tyres it is neither here nor there - the £2.40 won't buy a cup of coffee these days.

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - Wackyracer

I seem to remember they did test it years ago on 'fuels gold' with Quentin Wilson. It did give an inprovement but, not sure it was economical to use it instead of regular diesel,.

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - RobJP

HJ personally reckons it CAN give a bit extra mpg. It also is supposed to burn 'cleaner' and to keep the various other engine components in better condition (fuel pump, etc).

Does it ? I've no idea. I use V-power diesel though, on the basis that the additional cost is minimal (15,000 miles a year, 45 mpg is roughly £135 a year). Considering that 'base' fuel cost is about £2000 a year, plus a couple of services, plus tyres, tax, insurance. Lets say £3000 a year, BEFORE depreciation.

Much like Falkirk Bairn, any extra cost (if there is any) is lost in the 'noise' of running the car

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - craig-pd130

I did a test in my 2011 Volvo V60 D3 (163bhp) - a fairly modern turbodiesel with a relatively up-to-date common rail injection system and DPF.

I ran 10 consecutive tankfuls of nothing but Shell V-Power (i.e. about 6000 miles over 6 months using no other fuel), and compared with the 10 previous tankfuls of Shell's ordinary Fuelsave (easy for me to do, as Shell is my nearest filling station and is the same price as the local supermarkets).

So I did about 6000 miles in 6 months on 'ordinary' fuel, and then 6000 miles in 6 months on Shell's premium stuff.

I got a brim-to-brim average of 46.29mpg on V-Power compared with 45.12mpg on Fuelsave. At the time, V-Power cost 8p per litre more than the ordinary stuff.

Or, to express it in percentages, I got a 2.6% improvement in economy for spending the extra 5.7% cost of V-Power. I reckon that the 10 tanks / 6000 miles on each fuel was sufficient to reduce the influence of variables like ambient temperatures, type of journey etc. Please note I said REDUCE, not eliminate, the influence of variables, before people jump down my throat on this :)

There was no detectable difference in performance at all. I concluded that while V-Power might make a small difference to economy, it wasn't worth paying the extra for, compared with the ordinary, cheaper Fuelsave.

Thanks for the data, Craig !

Interestingly, when you do full calculations on that (assuming 134.9 ppl for normal, 142.9 ppl for V-power, which are prices by me today), the V power cost you roughly £5.83 extra for the 6,000 miles.

Or just under 1/10th of a penny per mile.

IF (and its a big if, I'll accept that) the more expensive fuel gives a barest fraction of additional engine life, or component life (fuel pump, common rail system, injectors, DPF, etc) then it's probably worth it, for a cost of £10 (or less) per thousand miles

Interestingly, when you do full calculations on that (assuming 134.9 ppl for normal, 142.9 ppl for V-power, which are prices by me today), the V power cost you roughly £5.83 extra for the 6,000 miles.

I make it a bit more than that - taking the % improvement in economy from the % extra cost means that V-Power cost me 3% more in real terms. This is about 4p per litre at current prices.

6000 miles at 46.29mpg = 129.6gals = 589.25 litres x 4 pence = £23.57 :-)

However, your point is valid, it's less than a quid per week ...

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - Manatee

I have monitored mpg at each fill for extended periods, and have found no pattern of better economy with petrol or diesel (mainly diesel), using Shell/BP mainly.

The Shell and BP super diesel (I think Total Excellium has disappeared?) AFAIK are GTL based so inherently cleaner. The Esso one, from the blurb I infer, is just the claimed better additive package.

The benefit I would be after is just a cleaner engine and particularly diesel injectors, which could I suppose influence economy longer term.

The German company Aral developed BP Ultimate diesel. They did significant testing and on a Euro 3 diesel it was reasonably expected to give a 50% smoke reduction IIRC. It seems reasonable to think that cleaner burn (more complete combustion and less crud in the fuel in the first place) might have some benefit for DPFs and maybe EGRs - but I am not aware that anybody has made that claim.

There was also a claimed fuel saving of c 3%, but that is hard to see in the noise for most people I think.

I use the super diesel when I can get it, and when I can't I chuck some Millers in it, but that doesn't turn it into super diesel - it can't remove the crud from ordinary diesel, which is a simple distillation product of crude oil, but I think it does help stop the muck from gumming up the injectors. My subjective evidence for that is a Scorpio I once had, with the VM diesel boat engine, that smoked quite badly - Millers cleaned up the exhaust quite a lot, which I put down to cleaner injectors and a better spray pattern.

E&OE. I'm not a real petroleum chemist, but I knew a bloke who was, and he thought the Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate were worth the extra.

EDIT - just seen craig-pd130's post above. His 2.6% economy improvement is very much on the scale of the 3% assumption.

Edited by Manatee on 18/09/2014 at 13:07

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - Cyd

using live data from my ecu I can measure a variety of variables. One of these is horsepower at the wheels, calculated from the vehicles acceleration and [known] weight.

On standard BP unleaded my maximum hp at the wheels is 208 at 5200rpm. On Shell Vpower it is 222 at 5400. before the nay-sayers start shouting me down, conditions were very similar (road, car load, ambient temp, warm up runs etc - testing was only a few days apart). I believe the improvement is larger than experimental error. The car is much better to drive, particularly in the mid range (it's forte is overtaking with 360Nm on tap from 2250 to 4000rpm)

on my regular run to work (on the M6/M42 over 45 miles each way), driving fairly consistantly gently over several tanks fulls, I have found an improvement of around 2mpg on VPower and about 1.5mpg on Ultimate.
Driving in the lanes tends not to yield any improvement in mpg, but the car drives much much better and I'm using the extra power.

My wife runs a C1. the car does the same journeys every week. On standard unleaded over several months it averaged 47 to 50mpg over tankfulls, only once touching 51mpg. A few weeks ago we started filling it with Total Excellium (available in our town) and the mpg is now typically in the 54 to 57 region.

So, I believe super unleaded (note that premium is the standard stuff) CAN improve the power or economy of a car, but results will be variable from car to car and how the car is driven.

I've done almost 30k in my car now and most of that has been on super unleaded. Looking down the plug holes recently it was obvious that the piston crowns are cleaner than they were soon after I got it. So longevity of the engine and it's performance is also likely to be enhanced by th euse of super. A desirable outcome for me, but not necessarily high on others priorities.

My apologies Craig, bad maths on my part.

(I hadn't multiplied by 4.546, to go from gallons to litres)

Edited by RobJP on 18/09/2014 at 15:36

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - brighteyes
My previous car was a Peugeot 207Hdi and the overall mpg improved by about 3-4mpg. Not really worth the premium, however after reading various articles on the subject it would appear the premium grade burns cleaner and is allegedly better for the injectors and fuel pump. I now have a Focus 1.6 petrol and have tried the same trial with an improvement of 2-3 mpg with no benefit to the engine that I can find. Think it's a case of you pays your money and makes your choice. With modern engine technology I can't help thinking that it's a bit of a con but there again I'll be the first to admit am a dyed in the wool sceptic!!!!
Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - madf

Shell V Power Nitro in my Jazz has increased mpg from 42pmg to 46mpg over the same routes. I admit to great surprise since in the past V Power has had no impact but I undersatnd it was changed in 2013.

I'm on my third tank: 46mpg is consistent.

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - piggy

Not got any MPG figures for comparison I`m afraid,but starting and cold running on Vpower is much better for my Mazda. It possibly depends on the engine,driving patterns etc. but for what little extra it costs,(extra MPG minus cost) Vpower gets my vote.

My apologies Craig, bad maths on my part.

No worries :) Either way, the incremental cost of premium fuel is minimal.

In terms of power output, I remember Fifth Gear did a back-to-back test on a chassis dyno of ordinary diesel versus premium, with only a tank & fuel line drain inbetween each test. The car was a Citroen C5 2.2Hdi (the classic PSA 4-cylinder lump with common rail injection).

On supermarket fuel, the car gave 155bhp (wasn't stated if this was at the wheels or flywheel). Both BP Ultimate and V-Power gave 161bhp. Not a huge gain, but a gain nonetheless.

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - galileo

Thanks for all replies, I had filled from quarter full with V power to see if it ran better/more economically and got an extra couple of mpg over the last 200 miles. I'll check consumption for a couple of full tanks for a more representative result.

I can't claim to be in any way accurate, correct, or anything about this, but ...

In the 'olden days' when I used to drive a Turbo Impreza, before we'd even heard of the millenium bug, Subaru recommended running on super unleaded. They said that if you ran on normal unleaded, and then moved over to super, it would take a couple of tankfuls for the electronics to notice, and self-alter the ignition timing to get the best BHP.

I'm wondering if the same sort of thing might be in play here. The longer the test, the better, which is why Craig's results are so nice, being 6k/6 months per test.

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - YG2007

The biggest variation in fuel economy can be gained from comapring a branded fuel unleaded to a supermarket fuel unleaded. a 5% price saving in price can be more than offeset with 10+% improvment on economy from the better quality fuel. Super unleaded can help certain cars get even better economy but the cost difference limits the savings

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - Andrew-T

The biggest variation in fuel economy can be gained from comparing a branded fuel unleaded to a supermarket fuel unleaded. a 5% price saving in price can be more than offset with 10+% improvment on economy from the better quality fuel.

This topic has been discussed here many times over the years, with some people believing that supermarket fuel is somehow radically different from - and worse than - fuel from an outlet with an oil company's badge; forgetting that in some places the stuff is delivered from the same tanker, with optional additives.

Unless you can show otherwise, I don't accept that you will get anything like 10% better economy from 'branded' fuel. Supermarkets don't control refineries AFAIK. Maybe long-term, using only supermarket fuel will make your engine 'dirtier', possibly lowering efficiency, but that's not quite the same thing.

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - 3puddings

My last car an Automatic C3 would get an increase of fuel economy of about 4% using premium unleaded at at time when the difference in price was about 7%. I had more impact on fuel economy by driving economically when I could push it to about 46mpg from about 40mpg, but this involved driving no more that 55mph, basically driving like my Dad which was no fun at all,

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - Railroad.
Just to put a slightly different slant on this thread. My ex-wife used to run our Octavia TDi on fuel purchased from Morrisons, and would fill up while she was shopping. We would always fill the car up rather than add £20 or whatever. Over time I noticed that the car didn't seem to perform quite as well as it once did. Nothing major, but it just lacked punch. I plugged in VCDS and did some live checks but nothing showed up. I asked her to start filling up with branded diesel rather than the supermarket stuff. Within the first tankful the previous performance was back, leaving me in no doubt whatsoever that supermarket fuel is cheaper for a reason, and that it's an inferior product. I always use branded fuel in my car now. It might cost a little more at the pump but it's definitely worth it.
Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - skidpan

Bought a new Golf GTi back in 1989. The sticker on the petrol flap said 97 octane for best performance/economy but 95 octane fine with a slight loss of both.

Tried it for a few tanks on both and there was no noticable difference to either drivability or calculated mpg. After that just used supermarket 95 octane for the 113,000 miles I had the car.

After that I have just used supermarket petrol or diesel in every car myself or the wife have owned. All have run perfectly over a large mileage.

The only time we use "branded" fuel is when we are on holiday. A fill up when we arrive and a fill up to drive home. The economy and drivabilty are no different on the expensive stuff.

Not wasting my hard earned cash on marketing hype and many urban myths.

But if you want to waste your own money carry on.

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - Railroad.
A bloke I used to work with who has a V8 Range Rover also used to say his car definitely lacked a bit of performance when running on supermarket fuel. Not a huge amount but enough to notice. Also my brother knows a bit about this. He's a Process Operator at a major UK oil refinery. He told me that the base stock is the same wherever you buy your fuel from. ie 95RON unleaded is the same irrespective of whether it comes from BP, Esso, Shell or the supermarket. What's different is the additives that are put into the fuel to reduce noise, engine cleaning and so on. Supermarket fuel is generally cheaper than branded fuel so draw your own conclusions. You're deluded though if you think the supermarkets are doing you a favour by giving you the same product for less money.
Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - alan1302
You're deluded though if you think the supermarkets are doing you a favour by giving you the same product for less money.

To be fair to the supermarket one other reason other than different additives being added is that they can get by making less profit on the petrol. They use the petrol station to draw the customers in.

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - willingtonsteve

Here the branded fuels are the same price as the supermarkets. I work for a company who makes the additives for petrol/diesel and branded fuels do add much better additives than supermarkets especially on the Super unleaded petrol and Super diesel. Most newer cars whether petrol or diesl will benefit from using branded fuels, giving better fuel consumption and more power as the detergents in the additives clean the injectors, remove carbon and aid combustion. Usually after a couple of tanks of branded super fuels and an itallian tune up you notice the difference, more so highjer performance turbo/cars and can help pass your MOT emmissions.

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - MAASS42

The price difference between standard unleaded and premium (e.g Shell V power) locally is about 6%, so only worth the extra if mpg is increased by more than this amount.

Obviously some cars designed for higher octane fuel will go better, my question is not about acceleration/speed but mpg in normal driving.

Has anyone measured the difference (if any) in ordinary cars?

I've been looking into this recently. purchased a standard 1.2 corsa Petrol, 5 years old from a dealer with 25k on the clock. In the first 3 months of having it the best it managed was 260 miles on a full tank, 26mpg. This was all around town driving.

I thought to myself this is pretty rubbish for a small engined car, i expected more. Looked around online, looked into these premium fuels.

From all my research it seemed obvious Shell V Power Nitro + was the best quality fuel to put in your car for longevity of your engine and hopefully better mpg.

Also Tesco momentum 99 as a second choice.

Ive been trying the V power for 2 tanks, I ran the standard unleaded more or less empty to 1 or 2 litres and started filling up full tanks on the vpower.

I'm now getting 345 miles from a tank, an increase of 85 miles in a standard 1.2 engined car. To me thats excellent. To fill my tank up on v power just costs me £4 more so if i take that small cost into account im still gaining 60 miles on standard unleaded petrol and saving about £11 every time i fill up.

Forget about any negative opinions on Premium fuels, Any petrol car under 15 years can take them, take your car along near empty, fill up and drive the same as you always do, and see what you gain in mpg, i wasnt after a performance increase as its only a 1.2 corsa lol.

It does drive smoother though.

All cars probably react differently so see how yours does, im well happy, i'll be using V Power till i pop, I might try a tank of Tesco momentum 99 in a tank or two just to compare,

Happy driving Guys

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - DanCactus1200

As someone with a fair amount of motor trade experiance, my opinion is that Premium fuels are worth the extra depending on your vehicle. In my personal vehicle, a Citroen Cactus with the Puretech 82 engine fitted, it is not worth it. However, a friend of mine currently owns a large CC petrol engined 2004 Mercedes CLK in which his fuel econemy improved to 35 MPG and more from an averge of 22 MPG. Also, I was presented with a 2008 BMW 320i which belonged to a friend of mine which had several running concerns. Essentially the problems were all caused by using the "wrong" fuel. BMW did not demand to used a Premium fuel but it certainly made a huge difference in performace and fuel econemy and almost definintely is extending the life of the engine.

Also, the Peugeot Citroen EP range of engines, introduced in 2006, will require to run of the most premium fuel avaliable (even if it isn't demanded by the manufacturer) if you do not want it to write itself off within around 30,000 miles!

If your engine is at all inspired with perfomance, then YES use the premium fuels. Other than that it is trial and error really, give it a go and see how your car and MPG figures respond and decide from there. Just PLEASE do not use any of the fuel additives avaliable from Halfords!

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - liammcl

I use V-Power on my 1997 1.1 Peugeout 106
and it does seem to give it more "Oomph".
(well, as much oomph as my car is ever going to have :) )

Both v-power and tescos cheapest, weigh in at £10 for 100 miles.

With the v-power the engine seems smoother and a bit more fiesty.
(Tho' , that could be because the tappets are slightly out and the v-power compensates for that? ... I dunno..

Cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 02/02/2016 at 02:12

Any - Premium fuels - do they improve mpg? - skidpan

However, a friend of mine currently owns a large CC petrol engined 2004 Mercedes CLK in which his fuel econemy improved to 35 MPG and more from an averge of 22 MPG

Even better than the owner with a Corsa who got a 33% improvement. The Merc improved by almost 60%.

Soon be April the first, try posting this nonsense again then.