BMW 3 series - BMW Windscreen chipped - ruspola

Hello,

I purchased a 2nd hand BMW 3 series car.recently. The day after my wife there noticed that there was a chip in the windscreen. On closer inspection I noticed it was repaired but quite unsightly. Now I paid the BMW dealership qute a hefty price for this vehicle so that I could be assured of a getting a quality car. On the day I purchased the car it was raining quite badly and I didnt see the chip when looking from the outside or inside and also during the test drive. I contacted the dealer today and he said he was aware of the chip but obviously didnt feel it necessary to point this out. There current position is that they will look to see if they can make a better job of the chip repair. I am a bit annoyed about this and did not expect BMW to sell a vehicle like this. Does anyone know what my rights might be on this?

Thanks

Edited by ruspola on 30/08/2014 at 19:52

BMW 3 series - BMW Windscreen chipped - elekie&a/c doctor

How old is the car,and how many miles?

BMW 3 series - BMW Windscreen chipped - 72 dudes

A windscreen chip won't be covered by warranty, so unless it would be an MOT failure (unlikely) it will be down to your negotiating skills.

Sale of Goods Act unlikely to be any help as the car is not unfit for purpose. Is it of satisfactory quality given its age and mileage? May be some leverage here.

I would have thought that they would repair the screen to a better quality, but a replacement may be a stretch. Worth trying for though.

Lesson: Don't inspect a car in the rain.

BMW 3 series - BMW Windscreen chipped - ruspola

Thanks

Yes I agree , very silly of me to check a car in the rain.

I will just hope they can do the right thing

BMW 3 series - BMW Windscreen chipped - gordonbennet

''I contacted the dealer today and he said he was aware of the chip but obviously didnt feel it necessary to point this out.''

That tells me all i need to know about the dealer, the only word missing was 'tough'.

If it annoys you enough you'll just have to get the screen changed, from the quote above i would expect nothing from this dealer now he's had your money, and i'd be giving them no further business eg servicing.

BMW 3 series - BMW Windscreen chipped - Ben 10

You could try the softly softly approach. Ask them if they would be agreeable to paying the £70 excess if you were to claim a new windscreen through your insurance. I'm sure they could accommadate that as a goodwill gesture, seeing as they knew about the repair before passing it onto you.

BMW 3 series - BMW Windscreen chipped - Andrew-T

As we still don't know the age or mileage on this car, or how significant the chip is, we can't really judge. But although some may imagine that there is something magical about BMWs, they are actually only other vehicles on the road, and may even suffer chipped screens occasionally. If the damage is not in the line of vision and not enough to fail a MoT, it may be unreasonable to demand a replacement just for cosmetic satisfaction. What's the cost - £200 or so? Hmmm - maybe the dealer checked it in the rain too.

BMW 3 series - BMW Windscreen chipped - skidpan

If you had raised it during negotiations maybe they would have done something about it for you. Probably would not have been a new screen, maybe just a better repair.

If the repair would pass an MOT there is no point in trying the Sale of Goods Act etc. If the car works and will pass an MOT its fit for purpose. Simple as that.