Ford Fiest Mk5 - Humming noise from inside cab - Tanfies2

Best way to describe this, is that I have a humming noise coming from inside of my Fiesta (the cab). The noise is very similar to when you have a bearing out on one of your wheels and it’s humming away. This is slightly different though, as it’s only heard when the car is stationary, it will be quiet for a few seconds, then it kicks in.

At present, I do have a noisy water pump pulley, I think, which is being repaired next week. It gives a low level whine, but then starts to sound like a whistling kettle when the car is stationary. Wasn’t sure if this is connected, and the hum inside the cab is the bearing, maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by Tanfies2 on 29/08/2014 at 21:34

Ford Fiest Mk5 - Humming noise from inside cab - Manatee

Does it have air conditioning?

Yes it does, but currently not charged, or not working. My mechanic did say something about some kind of leaver / arm doesn't engage when switched on?? but I could be talking rubbish.

Ford Fiest Mk5 - Humming noise from inside cab - elekie&a/c doctor

Drop the glovebox forward to see if that makes the noise any louder.Your mechanic could be referring to the air recirculation mechanism lever that is located behind this.

Nope, remains the same if the glove box is dropped. Tried putting my ear on the dash board as well to see if i could locate the humming, but nothing definite. It's weird, because when you sit in the car, the humming seems centralised, but definitely the sound that a noisy bearing gives off or where something is spinning but not balanced.