Kia Ceed - Kia Ceed and extended warranty - Kia-Ceed

HI,

I am new to the forum. I purchased a used Kia Ceed in 2010 and at the time I was told it was part of the approved used programme where the car would be given a 7 year warranty. Great - so i thought.

To cut a long story short, the car was one month out of the maximum 18 month age limit cars can be to quality for the programme, but the dealer agreed to honour the additional 19 months. All i had to do was to be the owner of the car and let them know one month before the end of the normal manufacturers 7 year warranty. Ok, I thought i could live with that.

So that’s exactly what i did. Contacted them one month before and here is where the problems start. They wanted to see the full service history of the car. There was no mention of this in the agreement that i had to keep the car to the schedule. I had it serviced by Kia garages so no problem. All the servicing was fine but the last service was carried out 2 months later than the 12 month schedule and i did about 3k miles more than what the schedule stated.

The dealer is now refusing to honour our agreement as the last service was not carried out in time and greater than the 12500 miles per annum.

Kia do not sell extended warranties so no sure how they would have arranged this. Their argument was they couldn’t get Kia to add to the warranty plan because the schedule was not kept to.

My question is can they do this, also do i have any options?

Thx

Kia Ceed - Kia Ceed and extended warranty - skidpan

Warranties work 2 ways. The dealer promises to repair the car FOC if you keep it serviced to the schedule they display in the handbook or service book. If you don't its simply the end of the warranty. Since you admit to being 2 months late with the service you have given them a get out of jail free card by failing to keep to the T & C's.

We have a Ceed SW bought in 2010 and I must admit I did not think that the current system where you get the warranty increased to it full 7 years existed then.

But there is a problem with your maths.

You say you bought an 18 month old Ceed in 2010, that means it is a 2008 car, possibly a 2009 car.

You say that deal was you had to let them know one month before the end of the original 7 year warranty.

On a 2008 car that would be in 2015 and on a 2009 car it would be in 2016.

Since it is only 2014 the original 7 year warrnty is still in force until next year or the year after.

But its not since you were late with a service.

Game set and match unfortunately to Kia.

Kia Ceed - Kia Ceed and extended warranty - Kia-Ceed

You are indeed correct that there is a problem with my maths.

To confirm:

Car registered in Sept 2007

Puchased in 2009 not 2010 as i first mentioned - apols

7 year warranty expires next month.

Kia Ceed - Kia Ceed and extended warranty - skidpan

7 year warranty expires next month

No it doesn't. By your own admission "All the servicing was fine but the last service was carried out 2 months later than the 12 month schedule and i did about 3k miles more than what the schedule stated." thus the 7 year warranty ended 2 months and 3000 miles before your last service.

No point in trying to get the warranty extended, there is no way they will do it.