Vauxhall Vectra Cdti 1.9 (150) Estate - Intermittent Blue Smoke - tony doc

I have noticed that my Vectra is occassionally emitting blue smoke and the MPG drops severely. What is happening. 57 plate, less than 80k miles.

Any suggestions? Will be taking it to a garage but don't want to get fleeced.

Thanks in advance.

Vauxhall Vectra Cdti 1.9 (150) Estate - Intermittent Blue Smoke - madf

DPF regen?

What is DPF regen? What should the cost be about?

When I turn engine off wait a few minutes the smoke stops for a while but then cones back?

I know nothing about cars except how to drive etc. Sorry totally useless, can wash them change bulbs and check oil but that's about it. :-(

Edited by tony doc on 21/08/2014 at 11:51

Vauxhall Vectra Cdti 1.9 (150) Estate - Intermittent Blue Smoke - dieselnut

Have you just bought the car?

It sounds like it is doing a DPF regeneration.

The DPF is a filter in the exhaust that collects soot particles, then burns them off with extra fuel every now & again under the control of the cars ECU.

It looks like the DPF isn't working, with the extra fuel injected going straight out the exhaust.

Have you just bought the car?

It sounds like it is doing a DPF regeneration.

The DPF is a filter in the exhaust that collects soot particles, then burns them off with extra fuel every now & again under the control of the cars ECU.

It looks like the DPF isn't working, with the extra fuel injected going straight out the exhaust.

Bought the car in may, and its ran great since then. This is my first Diesel.

I will get it fixed asap, just worried that i have bought "a pig in a poke" have you any idea what it should cost? Thanks for the reply, really appreciate the help.

Vauxhall Vectra Cdti 1.9 (150) Estate - Intermittent Blue Smoke - dieselnut

You need to find out for sure if it had a DPF fitted originally. Not all Diesel cars of this era have them

Would think a Vauxhall dealer could advise, or It may also be noted on the V5.

Have you had this problem since buying.the car.