Hyundai i40 - High mileage Hyundai - Steamdrivenandy

I've spotted a 2011 i40 with 82,000 miles. What are peoples thoughts on such a car given Hyundai's 5 year unlimited miles warranty? Currently it's averaged 28000 miles a year, we only do 6000, so at 6 years old that average would be down to 16000 a year. And the poor thing deserves a rest LOL.

Hyundai i40 - High mileage Hyundai - John F

High mileage? Are you sure you haven't missed a 1 off the beginning?

If you only do 6k a yr that's just the sort of car you should buy. I have just sold my 1998 A6 which I bought at just over 4yrs old at 77,000 because it was coming up to a major service [cambelt etc] - and ran it to 133,000 with no significant problem. [cambelt still as good as new]. Only sold it because I finally fancied something more interesting - buyer has a bargain!

Hyundai i40 - High mileage Hyundai - 72 dudes

I assume it's the one at Exeter Renault?

Good value, but at 6k per annum you don't really want any diesel engined car. This one has had loads of long motorway journeys where the particle filter has plenty of time to do it's stuff and regenerate.

With such a low annual mileage as yours you could get into the filter blocking which would not be covered under the warranty. This oftern puts the car into limp mode and throws up fault codes and the engine warning light.

Tempting buy but consider the potential downsides.

Ah, but half of those miles are pulling a 1400kg caravan and as we live out in the sticks 5 miles south of Crewe and 10 miles west of Stoke, just within hearing distance of the M6 we don't do short runs. Minimum shopping trip is 10 miles each way on good open roads.

Most local mileage is done using Mrs SDA's petrol Yaris Verso, although having a '59 Cee'd SW, the last with no DPF, has been one less thing to worry about.

Sadly the Cee'd auto has a tow limit of 1300kg and won't pull our new caravan, even though some i30 auto's are rated for 1400kg. The i40 at 1500kg would seem ideal.

Hyundai i40 - High mileage Hyundai - 72 dudes

That changes things considerably.

I would go in with a cheeky low offer on the basis that it's almost 3 years old with 82k, yet they still want over half the original list price.

Trade price looks to be about £9200, so you may get it for £10k, start at £9500.

Maybe somebody did just that, the dealer tells me it's been sold, even though it's still on Autotrader at the moment. Doh!

Hyundai i40 - High mileage Hyundai - scot22

Sorry to read that. However, in my view, its better to miss a good buy ( others come along ) than buy a money pit.

I hadn't done sufficient research and bought a diesel (2007) ( 3 years ago and I didn't know about this forum. It was not suitable for my motoringand has cost me significant amounts in bills, e.g approx £1,000 for new DPF.

Although looking to change not rushing to buy now and am much better informed - thanks forum.