Volkswagen Golf VI - Golf 2009 1.4 TSI Start-up shaking and Exhaust Noi - Akmeeda

Hi, guys,

I bought a VW Golf 1.4 TSI 122 a few weeks ago and I've been having some issues on cold start up.

Basically, the car shakes a little and revs higher than usual for 20-30 seconds. Now if I apply gas and rev the engine whilst this is happening then the car doesn't sound good at all. The noise can be heard in the videos below and it sounds like it's coming from underneath the car. This only happens on cold start.

There is also a slight humming noise when accelerating, I don't think this is normal as the noise is not consistent and only happens at certain speeds.

The water pump was already changed under warranty and I don't think it's the timing chain. I've had two garages have a look at the car and neither can find a fault. There are no fault codes either. The only other issue is that the air con needs to be re-gassed.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKOGEu80jaY

Edited by Akmeeda on 18/07/2014 at 22:00

Volkswagen Golf VI - Golf 2009 1.4 TSI Start-up shaking and Exhaust Noi - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds to me like a misfire with a lot of unburnt fuel popping in the exhast system.These do suffer with ht leads rubbing out and shorting on the exhaust manifold heat shield.Have these been checked?This engine also suffers with injector problems.

Volkswagen Golf VI - Golf 2009 1.4 TSI Start-up shaking and Exhaust Noi - Akmeeda

Sounds to me like a misfire with a lot of unburnt fuel popping in the exhast system.These do suffer with ht leads rubbing out and shorting on the exhaust manifold heat shield.Have these been checked?This engine also suffers with injector problems.

Would a misfire not show a fault code though? And again this only happens on cold starts, sometimes the car starts normally from cold as well.

Volkswagen Golf VI - Golf 2009 1.4 TSI Start-up shaking and Exhaust Noi - Big John

How about lack of oil pressure on start-up after oil has drained back into the sump? Could cause all sorts of probems with crank noise and if the chain tensioner uses oil pressure the chain could rattle for a while and put the timing out. This engine has an inverted oil filter and if a cheap or incorrect one is fitted (without return valve) oil will eventually drain back into the sump and it will take a while for it to prime itself and draw oil through.

Just a thought. Try a new OEM oil filter and oil.

How about lack of oil pressure on start-up after oil has drained back into the sump? Could cause all sorts of probems with crank noise and if the chain tensioner uses oil pressure the chain could rattle for a while and put the timing out. This engine has an inverted oil filter and if a cheap or incorrect one is fitted (without return valve) oil will eventually drain back into the sump and it will take a while for it to prime itself and draw oil through.

Just a thought. Try a new OEM oil filter and oil.

That's the first thing the VW mechanic said. The problem went away for a day or two I think but then same thing started happening.

Volkswagen Golf VI - Golf 2009 1.4 TSI Start-up shaking and Exhaust Noi - Big John

I would follow that advice, and it's cheap....

Edited by Big John on 19/07/2014 at 02:13

I did, and problem came back after 1-2 days. Sorry should have made it clear that I did get the oil and filter changed, as recommended by the mechanic.

Volkswagen Golf VI - Golf 2009 1.4 TSI Start-up shaking and Exhaust Noi - Mark_Space

See www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&...7 for description plus videos, though note that some of that discussion applies only to the 160PS variant. The 30 sec or so of slightly unsteady high idle and even the odd soft misfire are probably the result of the engine map retarding the ignition timing during that time to speed up the heating of the exhaust system and, thus, presumably reduce the time for the the lanbda sensor to get hot enough to function properly. Depending on weather conditions and time since last run, my 1.4 TSI 122PS does the high slightly unsteady idle. I've not tried blipping the throttle under those conditions, so don't know if the popping sound you're getting is normal. Anyway, once the 30 sec approx period is over and the idle speed drops, it should be smooth and quiet.

Volkswagen Golf VI - Golf 2009 1.4 TSI Start-up shaking and Exhaust Noi - Mark_Space

Another link, again with video, this time specific to the 1.4TSI 122PS: www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&...2