Any - Tyre safety - scot22

I have been offered a new condition 16in alloy wheel and tyre. My concern is that it has been the spare kept in the boot for about 15 years. I am neurotic but could there have been any deterioration caused by age. Any risk and I'm not interested ( even though its free ! )

Thanks for advice

Any - Tyre safety - John F

The alloys on my TR7 are 34yrs old and the tyres were well over 20yrs when I eventually changed them.

They can become 'porous' if poor original quality, and can deteriorate round the beading. Put a squirt of washing up liquid in a small glass of water and paint it round the rim to see if it leaks.

If there is nothing but a bit of superficial cracking on the tyre it should be fine. Sunlight can do this over time, so if been in the boot it should be OK.

Any - Tyre safety - RobJP

I believe that since the late 90s/early 00's that tyres have markings which identify when they were made.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong though

Any - Tyre safety - skidpan

Alloys do age and go porous over time but generally providing they do not get knocked and are strait they are 100% OK. Magnesium wheels which are the reserve of exotica are different and age and deteriorate faster.

Tyre age much faster especially when exposed to sunlight but the atmoshere affects the rubber as well. The advice used to be that no tyre should be used when it was over 6 years old but the more sensible advice now is its fine to use up to 10 years old but after 6 years they should not be refitted to a wheel or have any punctures repaired.

There have a 4 number date code moulded into the side wall. For tyres made after 2000 it should read something like 2310 which translates as manufactured in week 23 of year 2010. Prior to 2000 it was only 3 digits, 237 could mean either week 23 of 1987 or 1997.

The wheels on my classic are date coded 1989, 25 years old and all are strait and do not leak. The tyres are date coded 4608 which means they are coming up 6 years old. In 4 years time I will change them even though they will still be road legal but in truth by then they will be near the end of their lives since the rubber will be geting rock hard.

Any - Tyre safety - 72 dudes

I have been offered a new condition 16in alloy wheel and tyre. My concern is that it has been the spare kept in the boot for about 15 years. I am neurotic but could there have been any deterioration caused by age. Any risk and I'm not interested ( even though its free ! )

Thanks for advice

The wheel may be OK but the tyre probably won't be any good except kept as an emergency only. As Skidpan says, rubber hardens and deteriorates with age, so even if no cracking is visible on the sidewalls, the tyre will give a hard ride and could be 'non round' or even dangerous.

Edited by 72 dudes on 13/06/2014 at 18:32

Thanks for the informative and helpful replies.

Any - Tyre safety - Cyd

A spare alloy is always worth having in case you ever kerb one of yours, especially if it's coming to you for free.

I'd change the tyre though. Any structural deterioration will not be visible and IMO not worth the risk, however low the percieved risk might be - a blow out on the motorway is not a pleasant experience!!

Any - Tyre safety - AlexT

Put nitrogen in them if porous, and they leak. But don't worry, in my country very many people buy second hand tyres from germany (there are places that sell them usually any tyre for 50-100 lei). They are less dangerous than they sound, lots of people say they are ok. But then again I saw a lot more tyre services in Romania by the side of the road (one in every village) and the average speed in romania is a lot lower than in the uk (we only have 632,8 km of motorway, and the rest are quite annoying roads.

Any - Tyre safety - Andrew-T

Put nitrogen in them if porous, and they leak.

I don't believe this, if it is to be interpreted literally. I would like any metallurgist on this forum to explain how a solid alloy wheel becomes 'porous', and why nitrogen would stay in it any longer than air would.

Alloy wheels usually start to lose pressure after a few years due to surface oxidation round the bead (where the tyre rubber meets the metal) or round the valve entry point. Usually easily cured by releasing tyre, cleaning mating surfaces and relubricating.

Any - Tyre safety - galileo

The company I worked for used aluminium castings; when pressure tested, some were suffficiently porous to leak slightly. An impregnation treatment was therefore used which cured the problem. (Permanent fix was to change supplying foundry!)

Some alloy wheels may be porous when new, so either coated with a sealing paint/lacquer or impregnated. The coating may, in time, fail, as may the impregnation sealant.

Thanks again. As I've said before on my posts I do appreciate people taking the time to share their knowledge.

Any - Tyre safety - bathtub tom

Edited by bathtub tom on 15/06/2014 at 21:26