Renault Laguna - AA Breakdown Repair Cover - Dont Waste your money - HomerML

I’ve been a member of the AA now for some years. It’s only this year that I’m disappointed with the service I have received. In January my car blew its intercooler pipe and they refused to pay for the repair stating it was due to a blockage. We are still currently arguing about this one. In fact I have made a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service and we are awaiting the response.

My car has since then broke down again. The day before the bank holiday (17 th April) we left our home towing a caravan for a six day holiday to the forest of dean. We didn’t get very far. Just 45min down the road before the clutch went, or so we thought. When the service man came, he diagnosed the fault as a turbo issue. First we dropped off the caravan to our house and then the car to our local garage.

On the way to the garage I gave my mechanic a quick heads up we’re coming. He said that the turbo if ordered today wouldn’t get delivered until the following Tuesday / Wednesday and we were hoping to try and get away again that Wednesday. The campsite that we had booked with let us move our booking to that Wednesday. The mechanic said that we could drop off the old turbo and pick up a new one if we went our self to collect. So he removed the old turbo that night and then Friday morning I went and exchanged the turbo. I was curious, so while I was there I asked, “Why it had failed?” The man said the fan thing inside the turbo had come loose. I dropped the new / exchanged turbo to the mechanic Friday morning and by the Tuesday we had our car back. Then on the Wednesday night we went Holiday.

It was that Tuesday when the problems started. I had just got the car back and so I got the receipts for the new turbo and mechanic bill. I rang my mechanic and gave him the telephone for claims and my details. The next second my mechanic rang me back saying that the AA wouldn't take his word that the turbo is faulty and wanted to see it. Which was impossible as it was exchanged for a new one. And so when I rang them up they said they wouldn't pay as they haven't seen the turbo.

It seems to me that the AA are making anything as an excuse not to pay. The reason given for wanting to see the old turbo was they wanted to check for wear and tear.

My mechanic said "Everything is wear and tear". As soon as you drive a new car off the forecourt you will have some degree of wear and tear. What is the point of having insurance when every time I go to claim, the AA refuses to pay out? Anyone would think that they are trying to get me to cancel my insurance because my car is getting old. They are quite eager to take my money but very reluctant to pay out.

Am I right to be asking to cover this cost. What do you think?

Renault Laguna - AA Breakdown Repair Cover - Dont Waste your money - madf

Do you seriously think the AA should pay up on your say?

Did you not read the Terms and Conditions?

I think the AA are 100% correct. For all they know you could be scamming them.

Renault Laguna - AA Breakdown Repair Cover - Dont Waste your money - Avant

I'm missing something here. If you dropped the old turbo off with the garage, why can't the AA see it? It's entirely reasonable that they should want to.

I'm sure you're not scamming them but sadly there are people who do.

Renault Laguna - AA Breakdown Repair Cover - Dont Waste your money - RobJP

Didn't this same person post this on a thread a month or so ago, saying that they'd been hard done to ? If it was the same person, then they got short shrift on here that time.

I see no reason for things to change. Your warranty states that the old parts MUST be made available for inspection. They are not. Ergo, it is not a valid claim.

Renault Laguna - AA Breakdown Repair Cover - Dont Waste your money - Cyd

Perfectly fair enough.

This failure may have been covered, though turbines coming loose is usually due to bearing wear allowing too much movement on the shaft, the root cause of which is oftern abuse or lack of servicing

abuse = cooking it by turning off when hot or still rotating fast and thrashing it when cold. Both very common, see it all the time.

Renault Laguna - AA Breakdown Repair Cover - Dont Waste your money - RobJP

(see my post above)

Here we go. The OP posted on a thread here :

Wed 23 Apr 2014 10:20 AA Breakdown repair warranty - HomerML

I had a problem myself yesterday. They (the AA) are refusing again to pay for a failed part. This time my turbo went. Because my garage part-ex the turbo with a refurbished one, they are refusing to pay up. They said they need to see the old one. Too late,I need my up and running. I'm going on holiday tonight in it. We were on our way towing a caravan Thursday. It broke down an hour into our first ever journey. Kids were gutted. Garages were closed on good Friday and Bank Hol Monday, so my garage got the turbo off the Thursday night and gave it to me. Friday I got it swapped, so we could have the car repaired for today. Hopefully we will make it today. It's the second time they haven't paid for a repair. I'm still fighting the first one. It's gone to the financial ombudsman.

I would not recommend the AA breakdown Repair Cover. Just save the money yourself in a savings account

Edited by RobJP on 24/05/2014 at 14:12

Renault Laguna - AA Breakdown Repair Cover - Dont Waste your money - galileo

This failure may have been covered, though turbines coming loose is usually due to bearing wear allowing too much movement on the shaft, the root cause of which is oftern abuse or lack of servicing

abuse = cooking it by turning off when hot or still rotating fast and thrashing it when cold. Both very common, see it all the time.

More likely compressor wheel coming loose, which are retained on the shaft by a locknut. Turbine wheels are welded to the shaft so can only come off by weld failure. Re-reading the OP's post, his original thought was clutch failure, which seems odd?

Renault Laguna - AA Breakdown Repair Cover - Dont Waste your money - Cyd

Yes Gali, I meant compressor.

Yes, the compresor wheels can come loose, but it is more comonly the shaft/bearings causing excess movement due to abuse - at least during the warranty period it is, the failure mode may change as the miles rack up.