How long have you had your car? - barney100

I've had my clk for about 5 years now but reckon that will be nothing. Only cars used as everyday transport not classics kept in garages!

How long have you had your car? - gordonbennet

Had the MB W124 nigh on 12 years now, bought at 6, hoping to keep it indefinately, its been maintained/rustproofed to that end, so hopefully.

The '02 Outback we bought last month i have been busily getting up to standard too hoping for a long life with us, so now almost fully rustproofed, all oils changed (except transmission, no time yet), new discs/pads all round, now LPG converted (as is the Benz) and just about to pop over and pick up the summer wheels following full refurb.

As expected the Subaru a pleasure to work on, except for changing the spark plugs, especially the rear two one either side of the boxer 6, which were just about the most awkward i've ever done, and there have been many hundreds over the years, for example fitting new boots on the front driveshafts was a lesson in how to build vehicles to be fixed in the field.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/05/2014 at 12:14

How long have you had your car? - Ed V

Citroen C5 2.7 since 2008, nearing 60,000, running really well.

How long have you had your car? - skidpan

Bought one of our cars in 1992. Will never sell it.

How long have you had your car? - Trilogy

The '02 Outback we bought last month i have been busily getting up to standard too hoping for a long life with us, so now almost fully rustproofed, all oils changed (except transmission, no time yet), new discs/pads all round, now LPG converted (as is the Benz) and just about to pop over and pick up the summer wheels following full refurb.

Interesting choice for LPG cnversion. I was tempted with the 4 cylinder but rejected. Maybe better with the 6.

Interesting choice for LPG cnversion. I was tempted with the 4 cylinder but rejected. Maybe better with the 6.

The 4 pots appear to suffer CHG issues more than the 6's, obviously i checked carefully for evidence before doing the conversion, i hope it doesn't blow a gasket, seeing just how difficult the spark plugs were to do it would definately be an engine out job, we'll see how she fares.

Interestingly the chap who did ours (Burford, Tenbury Wells) had a really nice anonymous looking 07 Imprezza 2.5 STi in for conversion when we dropped it off, and i ran into a chap with a Forester at the LPG filling station just after we picked the car up afterwards that had been converted by the same bloke, seem to be a lot of Scoobies running LPG and the chap who did ours is doing a lot of them.

Would highly recommend the 6 pot if ours is anything to go by, sitting on nice simple 60 aspect tyres too, comfy and relatively cheap for proper rubber.

H6 chain cam too.

By the way folks, The Wheel Clinic at Northampton did an excellent job of the original Subaru wheels, superb tough powder coating finish, better than i expected considering just how scabby they were previously, will use them again.

Will drop HJ's site an email to add to the good garage guide.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/05/2014 at 17:07

How long have you had your car? - corax

expected the Subaru a pleasure to work on, except for changing the spark plugs, especially the rear two one either side of the boxer 6, which were just about the most awkward i've ever done,

If the spark plugs are anything like the Forester, NGK Platinum are the standard choice and last 30000 miles, so at least that job won't be coming up very soon.

Or you can fork out and get the Iridiums which last 60000.

Although I'm sure you researched them before fitting.

Or you can fork out and get the Iridiums which last 60000.

NGK Platinums here Corax, and they were £8 apiece, Iridiums were just silly money, and you can get special versions for LPG conversions now made out of unobtanium, need to be a footballer or a politician with limitless unchecked expenses to afford those.

Are the Foz ones as hard to fit? i've got dozens of little cuts all over the backs of me mitts, sting like hell still two days later.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/05/2014 at 19:24

How long have you had your car? - corax

Are the Foz ones as hard to fit?

I've got around 3000 miles to go yet, and my mechanic will be doing it. It's apparently difficult on the turbo - I'll let you know by the amount of muffled cursing I can hear.

My back isn't great and bending over engine bays doesn't help.

I'm not made of stern stuff like you :)

My back isn't great and bending over engine bays doesn't help.

Pfft.

Back no excuse for this job so get to it..;) my back's probably worse than yours anyway, i'm a worn out old frat....all done from underneath lying flat out on an old rug.

-:)

How long have you had your car? - mss1tw

Just over 2 years. Bought as I went self-employed and motorbike wouldn't cut it anymore.

Hoping to run it for a good few years. One of the last simple diesels, apart from the stupid multiplex wiring system. If that fails I might retrofit simple relays and fit a pure mechanical diesel pump...

How long have you had your car? - Ethan Edwards

Previous one (X Trail ) 11 years just replaced it with a Qashqai. The small runaround (currently a Yaris HSD) er about two years..I usually replace it around every 3 years or so. Though I may keep the Yaris a bit longer -colour me impressed by it.

How long have you had your car? - RickyBoy
Skoda Octavia vRS will be 11 next month.

Bought from new, Skoda serviced for first three years then independent @ mates rates ever since.

Now showing 105,000. Has let me down twice - battery after 9-years, starter-motor after 10. Full service history, everything stamped, every single receipt/MOT cert. retained.

Apart from tyres, pads, discs, toothed-belt(x2), one wheel-bearing & one rear door lock everything else is original.

Still goes like s*** off a shovel when asked to and seems to get better with age - exactly like me!

Despite the fact it costs me £260 annual RFL, insurance is always less than £200 and I do less than 6K per annul in it these days so fuel costs not really an issue either.

Have a new motor coming on 01/09 ( like you didn't already know) but I'm certain I'll keep I unless anyone wants to make me an offer?...
How long have you had your car? - artill

I bought my Monaro in 2005, and cant see me ever selling it, but whilst it was my daily driver to start with, for the last 3 years or so it has been just for fun, and spends far more time in the garage. My mother drives a MK2 Golf GTi bought new in 1990, and it remains her daily driver, so i have a long way to go to catch up.

How long have you had your car? - colinh

After a working lifetime of company cars (construction industry) being swapped on a 3-year cycle, have found it difficult to break the habit in retirement - current car is 2+ years and I'm starting to get the itch!

How long have you had your car? - Mike H

Current 2004MY Saab 9-5 Aero estate auto has been with us for 7 years, and been taken from 71k to 210k. Not planning to replace it until something expensive breaks, it still runs silky smooth and purrs like a kitten.

We previously had a 1997 n/a 2 litre 9000 poverty spec, run by us from 96k to 202k from 1993 to 2003. Still ran OK despite getting thrashed everywhere to make up for the lack of turbo, but didn't exactly purr at 202k - the timing chain sounded like a few bits of brick rattling round in a cement mixer when it was first started in the morning! Strange, as it had the same 6,000 mile oil/filter regime as the 9-5, which has no timing chain noise.

How long have you had your car? - johnnyrev
My Mum has a 13 year old Hyundai Amica. It's a hideous thing to drive, a bit like hurtling down a mountain in a shopping trolley! But, it's been very reliable. The steering column was replaced very early on under warranty and last year the window winding mechanism on the drivers door broke.

Other than that, a few bulbs, tyres and regular servicing from an independent garage in the middle of Dorset and it continues to plod on. Mum did reverse it into the back of the garage, but the car just suffered a cracked light. The garage however is being demolished soon (although not entirely as a result of the Amica impact!).
How long have you had your car? - Avant

"Bought one of our cars in 1992. Will never sell it."

Are you going to tell us what it is, Skidpan? I'd guess either an early MX-5 / Eunos as a fun car, or some sort of classic.

How long have you had your car? - Bobbin Threadbare

My standard pattern has been to replace my car every 2 years with something 4-5 years old, bought with cash. The current vehicle is definitely going to break this pattern; my MX-5 is far too much fun, it sails through MOTs, it's pretty reasonable to run and I had a large change in circumstances so I can't afford to change it anyway! I've had it for about 23 months now. It'll definitely be with me for another 12-18 months, if not 2 years.

How long have you had your car? - bathtub tom

Bought my 'boring as hell' 03, 1.5 petrol Almera in 05.

It still does everything I want, so why should I change it?

5 door, climate control and everything still works as it should, except I noticed the wipers didn't self-park last time I used it. Is this the beginning of the end?

Damn! Why did I ever mention it????????

How long have you had your car? - A3 A4

Two Audi's in this household, a 53 plate A3 8P 1.6 Sport (purchased 2008) and a 52 plate A4 Avant 1.9 PD (2010). Neither have clocked 100k yet and reliability assumed no plans to get rid, paid less than £6k for each one.

In my naive younger years I have made the mistake of wasting tens of thousands of £'s on a multitude of new cars and have taken the hit at trade in time, won't get fooled again!

Edited by A3 A4 on 07/05/2014 at 01:02

How long have you had your car? - Trilogy

1998 Saab 9-3 bought by a family member in 2002. Still owned by same person.

How long have you had your car? - Gordon17

Another Almera, but a 2.2 diesel. Bought new in January 2004. Has had 1 battery, 1 starter motor, 1 pair of front coil springs after 1 of them broke.

Only about 65,000 miles as it's our second car these days and for the last 4 years it hardly ever goes goes further than the 4 miles each way to work.

How long have you had your car? - thirts

I have a Y reg 1.0l Yaris bought from new, it has only 51k on the clock but has had a very tough life, but so far so good

Lots and lots of short cold start and stop start journeys, been bashed a few times, some t*** jumped on the roof but I managed to push it back sort of flattish.

It's due its MOT this month so fingers crossed.

There is something reassuring about an old car, as I don't give a damn where I park.