Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi - Citroen Xantia, Startup issues - Twang69

Hi everyone,

I purchased a citreon xantia 2.0 Hdi and all was running well for a few days then it died on me at a petrol forecourt. Car tried to start so didn't think issues with starter motor, glow plugs etc. Will kick in OK using Easystart but cannot get diesel to engine. This led me to believe that the immobiliser kicked in (for some reason) and so this cuts off power to the fuel pump and so no fuel getting to the engine.

After unplugging battery, charging it up, removing shunt fuse and then banging the fuel tank (where fuel pump was), I finally got it up and starting. Was fine for a day or so and it's happened again. Battery is old and so think it could be battery not holding charge and this low charge causing the immobiliser to kick in and so replaced with another battery I had (which unfortunately had low charge but I know will hold charge when charged up)

Am charging this second battery up overnight and then try again after work tonight.

From what I can summise all my issues stem from the immobiliser kicking in (it isn't one of the xantia's with a keypad to put in a code to disable). Is it to do with my 2 button plip key? When turn on the ignition the key icon on the dash comes on for a split second (along with other lights) then goes off. I understand that sometimes key gets out of sync with car but I have tried resetting key but the instructions on the internet don't seem to do much.

Is there a way I can just bypass the immobiliser so that I can get the car started?

My thinking is that, if it then runs well for a week I can summise my issues where with the immobiliser. If doesn't run or is intermittent it could be my fuel pump. If still doesn't start then could be my keys not in sync.

What I read on t'interweb is that if changing car battery to put keys in ignition and turn to 1st notch before putting the new battery on (this is meant to stop the alarm kicking in). Also if the alarm goes off, to put the key in the ignition within 10 seconds and press the alarm disable button.

Any assistance anyone can provide will be extrememly gratefully received and will stop me losing my temper and torching the thing down the fields.

Joe

Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi - Citroen Xantia, Startup issues - Peter.N.

Hdi engines need a fair number of revs from the starter to get the fuel pressure high enough to initiate injection, if you battery is not good it may not be turning the engine over fast enough.

Another problem I have had is the pressure regulator on the HP pump, the have a very fine filter that can clog and its almost impossible to clean, I removed the one on my C5 and it works fine now or you can just grind the end off.

Are you sure your in tank pump is running OK?

Hi,

Thanks for the very prompt response.

Since messing about with it the other day I have figured out that it is not worth trying to start the car if I don't hear the in tank pump make a whirring noise behind me. After removing fuses, unplugging battery, messing about with the plip key and banging on the tank (under the right hand side back seat) I heard the pump kick in. Then I would try the car and it started after a second or two of turning over the engine. From then on every time I started the car, I heard the pump whirr behind me and then I had confidence the car would start. It would then start first time without hardly having to start over.

Then after being stood for a day I went to the car and it wouldn't start and after a few tries the battery seemed weak. Prompting me to think that the battery wasn't holding charge.

Hopefully tonight when I get in from work and put the battery back on it will have had about 20 hours on charge and so should be enough to start the engine (fingers crossed).

From what I have heard speaking to other people that if the High Pressure pump is playing up then would know about it prior to it giving up. When I get the car going it drives beautifully, doesn't stutter and seems great. So I think the HP pump is OK.

Joe

P.S Sorry if I waffle but just trying to give as much info as I can.

Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi - Citroen Xantia, Startup issues - Gibbo_Wirral

How old is the battery and what mileage on the car? I'd probably start there and replace that.

If you car's tank has a lift pump then I've known instances where they start to pack up around the 120,000 mile mark. Tapping it sometimes gets it working again.

The car has done 110K and the battery is about 4 years old.

So, I've taken the battery off another car that is only a couple years old and left that charging overnight for 20 hours. Will put that on later and if still having issues can hopefully rule out a low battery.

I image the fuel tank pump is original and so is getting old but at the moment I don't know whether the whack I gave it the other day to get it working was what allowed the car to start or whether the issue is that the immobiliser/deadlock has kicked in (once when at fuel station, and once when I disconnected battery) and it is this that has stopped the in-tank fuel pump from working.

Led to believe this is how the immobiliser works by switching power to this pump.

So that is why wondering how to reset immobiliser or disable it so can then rule it out and determine if it is the pump or the immobiliser.

Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi - Citroen Xantia, Startup issues - Peter.N.

Modern cars can be very critical on battery voltage, if its less than the specified voltage the electronics won't fire up.

After a bit of reading around with other people having issues with xantias (and other citroens and peugeots) some issues point to the fuel cut off/inertia switch being faulty/damaged and so cuts off fuel. Therefore engine turns over but doesn't start.

So, I'm going to see if I can swop out the fuel cut off/inertia switch if I can get one from a scrapyard and see if that changes things. Only doing as it is easy to get at under the bonnet and is a job a numpty like me can do.

One question though if any citroen owners out there. Will the switch off other citroens, peugeots fit. Seen one off a Peugeot on a scappers website that looks identical but not seen any citroen ones yet. If anyone knows Id be grateful.

Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi - Citroen Xantia, Startup issues - Bromptonaut

If you cannot hear the lift pump prime before startup it's probably on the blink. I had one go intermittent at around 100k before packing up altogether stranding car outside my Mother in Law's. IIRC it's accessed from under the rear seats and while a faff it's not too difficult to replace except that there were different versions with different diameters during car's production life and trimming of metal can be required.

The other Xantia issue that can give symptoms of a poor battery is corrosion in the battery/starter/alternator wiring harness. Cannot recall cause but effect is that useful conductive cross section of the harness is reduced with effect (a) failure to start and (b) overheating of cable. Latter can be dramatic enough to melt the battery terminal. In earlier stages thermal damage to harness insulation provides a clue.

There's quite a bit on this issue on the French Car Forum.