Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - Baffled_Bloke

Thought I'd dip my noobie toe in the water.

Its darn difficult to choose a new car these days. We're currently looking to replace our "fun" ride, a Mini Cooper S, which after 7 years is starting to have too many (minor) problems cropping up to stay. We've been looking at the sector and settled on a choice of 3 models (not necessarily the obvious ones).

Our first test was in an Abarth 500 which put a terrific smile on our faces, the sound track is exactly what we were looking for and the ride and handling fitted the brief very well, so simple choice then, we get the Abarth.

We next popped into the Seat local dealer and tried the new Leon SC (1.4TSI FR). A completely different drive, smooth, refined, quick, and on balance a more versatile option, this made the decision a little more complicated.

Finally into the local Citroen dealer, after reading the reviews on HJ, to test the DS3 (155THP) just to see if it could match the other two. Got to be honest and say I was hoping to be able to elimate it, but the ride and the spec (DSport Plus) are better than I was expecting and proved to be very enticing.

All in all this is going to make the final decision really difficult, they are all very different propositions but each has characteristics which appeal to us. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of owner feedback in the forums on either the Abarth or the DS3 and I wondered if this post might prompt some informative replies.

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - skidpan

We had a Mini Cooper S, sold it in 2008, hateful car, at least it did not loose much.

Bought a Seat Leon 1.4 TSI last June, not the SC, the 5 door hatch. Identical cars, the SC has 2 less doors and a bit less rear leg room. Its superb. Faster than the Cooper S in the gears and probably not much slower if you do a SS 0-60. Way more refined and way more economical. We used to struggle to get 30 mpg out of the Mini, the Leon does 45 mpg without trying.

Everthing a car should be.

thanks Skidpan, we were really surprised at how the Leon impressed us, we like the 3 door because it looks a little sharper than the 5 door version and we don't really need an extra pair of doors 99% of the time.

Based on our experience I'd take a Leon over a Scirocco and pocket the saving.

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - gordonbennet

Welcome Baffled Bloke.

Course you could kick these all into touch and check out Toyota GT86, correct wheels driven too.

The decision is proving to be difficult enough, fortunately the Toyota was ruled out fairly early as on occasion we've need to put real people in the back seats.

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - elekie&a/c doctor

If you had any engine faults with the Mini,then i would avoid the Citroen,it has the same motor.The seat may be the best choice,but I hope vag have ironed out the problems with the 1.4 tfsi engines regarding timing chain and blown pistons.All modern cars seem to suffer some kind of major issues just out of warranty,so be careful.Do like that abarth,but a bit small.

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - 2.0Tsi
I believe Seat are just about to put the ACT (Active cylinder Technology) into the 1.4 Cars this is the engine from the Audi A1 which shuts off 2 cylinders when cruising to make it even more economical.

Edited by 2.0Tsi on 21/04/2014 at 20:37

Yes, we've suffered the "Death Rattle" issue and had the timing chain & tensioner replaced (less than 30k on the clock at the time) for which Mini denied all responsibility, you live & learn. Not heard of anyone having the issue with the DS though, which after 4 years is encouraging.

The Abarth was roomier than we expected, certainly no worse than the Mini, but its the sound that really hooks you, and with only just about a tonne to move around it really pulls. Only question from our perspective is the reliability factor, Fiat hardly cover themselves with glory on this point, and the feedback on dealers is variable (from the Abarth owners forums).

Haven't come across any specific info on the Seat with respect to timing chains or pistons on the 1.4 TSI, is this something you could direct me to? extended warranty might be in order!

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - RichT54

The 1.4TSI in the current Leon has a cam belt, not a chain.

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - daveyK_UK

Go with the Abarth

As noted above the new rance of TSi engines now have belts and not chains. Its a totally different engine to the earlier ones that gave problems, mostly in the stupidly powered twin charged versions. (especially when some muppet had chipped them).

Don't get hung up in the cylinder deactivation stuff, like stop/start its just a gimmic that rarely produces in the real world yet produces miraculous improvements on the official tests. The Mk7 TSi had it from introduction and its mpg figures in the real world were no better than its siblings without it. Just another thing to cause problems later in a vehicles life.

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - Bobbin Threadbare

One of my (very privileged) 6th formers informed me that he has just got a SEAT Leon FR - he is a bit of a boy racer and he loves it. He is the only pupil I don't mind parking next to me in the school car park....

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - drd63
Easy choice surely, the Fiat is too 'cute', DS goes well, looks good inside and out, decent size, can't even picture the Seat.
Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - Avant

If looks are important - and they are to some - you'll either love or loathe the DS3. The SEAT Leon is more conventional: too much so for some, graceful to others.

For me it would be the SEAT, by some margin.

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - Happy Blue!

Not sure I would ever want to sit in the back of a 500. DS possibly also the Seat. If carrying people in the back is important avoid the Fiat.

Not sure I would ever want to sit in the back of a 500. DS possibly also the Seat.

Can you please explain why you would not want to ride in back of the Seat Leon. Ours is easy to access and has good leg and headroom.

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - Happy Blue!

Skidpan, you have misunderstood. It's the Fiat I would not want to get into. Seat and D'S probably ok.

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - Avant

Like Skidpan, I'd go for the 5-door Leon: no less fun to drive but much more practical.

I don't like 2- and 3-door cars in general: a pain to get in and out of in a car park designed for narrower cars than today's; and the stretch for the seatbelt does one's back no good at all.

Maybe it;s just me, but a fun car isn't fun unless it's a convertible. I'm less of a Mini fan than SWMBO, who's on her fifth - but if you want a small convertible there isn't much choice. The glorified sunroof of the Fiat 500C and Citroen DS3 aren't the same thing as a true convertible.

As I've said, I'd go for the Leon out of the OP's choices - but personally I'd have an MX-5 ahead of any of them.

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - Bobbin Threadbare

As I've said, I'd go for the Leon out of the OP's choices - but personally I'd have an MX-5 ahead of any of them.

Me too - what passengers?!

Citroen DS3, Abarth 500, Seat Leon SC - Difficult choices - oldtoffee

I'd can the Abarth on the basis that my wife's 500 doesn't suit me. Shame really as an Abarth does appeal and looks ok when a bloke gets out of the drivers side. Huge blindspot at the extra thick C pillar and a sticky out moulded plastic handle on the lower console/tunnel affair thing that sticks in your left leg when you try to rest it. The teeth rattling ride, rubbish semi auto, lousy dealers and Fiat UK not knowing how a warranty should work all helped us get rid. In 3 to 6 months SWMBO will need a car again - I'm trying to persuade her towards a Mito.