BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - 5series

Having been a very happy 520SE auto petrol owner for the last 15 years, i am looking at buying a stunning BMW 520DSE Automatic with 69k on a 60 plate which has already been serivced 3 time and looks to have done mainlly motorway driving. BUT I have seen worrying reports about the DPF. I only drive between 10-20 miles a day on a motorway so will may reach 70mph for about 5 mins. occasional longer drives. I am worried bout how soon I will need to replace dpf and at what cost. Can anyone put my mind at rest please ?

BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - gordonbennet

I haven't a clue about the DPF, but i'd run a long way from a car that had only 3 services in 69k miles, i'd be more worried about timing-chains-of-cheese and valve gear issues to be honest....and thats not forgetting the turbo, which is doing well to have lasted this long.

However the maker recommends such services, but then its out of warranty so not their problem.

Can i ask why, presumably after 15 years of good service from renowned BMW petrol engines, you want to risk the issues.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/04/2014 at 19:01

BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - RobJP

I'd agree entirely with gordon. BMW actually do pretty good DPF systems, but only 3 oil changes in that mileage would put me right off.

BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - coopshere
Totally agree with GB above with regard to servicing, I wouldn't touch any thing that had not been serviced at least every 10 to 12000 miles and every year. Some manufacturers are selling these long service intervals to appease the fleet buyer and are not interested about what happens after two or three years later as it won't be their problem.
BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - quizman

I've got a 520D which had 3 oil changes in it's 68000 miles when I bought it. I now change the oil every 10,000 miles with Castol Edge 5W/30.

The car goes well with no rattles from the timing chain, but what can a buyer do when BMW only service them when the light comes on at about 18,000 miles?

BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - RobJP

BMW service the cars when the owners tell them to service the cars. The more knowledgeable that second-hand buyers get regarding the disaster that etended interval oil changes are over the long term, the more downward pressure will get put on prices of the ex-fleet cars. When that happens, the fleets will force the change.

BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - alan1302

The car goes well with no rattles from the timing chain, but what can a buyer do when BMW only service them when the light comes on at about 18,000 miles?

Get them serviced before the light comes on.

BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - Avant

You don't need a diesel, 5-series. You really don't.

Find a good petrol straight-six BMW within your budget and enjoy the performance and sound of one of the finest engines ever made.

BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - coopshere
"but what can a buyer do when BMW only service them when the light comes on at about 18,000 miles?"

Simple, don't buy them.
BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - Cyd

When I bought my Saab (9-3 Aero, 2.0T) at 3 1/2 yrs old, 41k and 3 services I was having kittens over the lack of oil changes! This Beemer would probably give me a heart attack!!

Anyway up, with your mileage and driving pattern I'd avoid diesels like the plague

BMW 5 Series E60 - DPF - Baffled_Bloke

I'm currently in an F10, a high mileage driver in a 520 D SE, mines a 107k '11 plate, serviced as and when the car tells me. Even after all those miles it drives like I remember it did when new. The engine is fantastic, particularly when mated to the 8 speed auto box.

Can't really offer any useful info on the DPF for obvious reasons, but if you're worried about the engine on anything with 60-70k, particularly if its been mainly motorway, I'd say those worries are probably unfounded.

I've got several colleagues running 5's (both E60 & F10) and we've all been delighted with them. A couple of the guys have 3's (318 & 320) and there have been issues with the flywheel on those (replaced under warranty) which might be an indication of some issues.

With only low weekly mileage you'd probably get more enjoyment from the petrol version, the diesels are definately the best choice if you're going to up that. I'm getting 50+ mpg out of mine.

Edited by Baffled_Bloke on 21/04/2014 at 19:48