Volkswagen Polo - Brake Discs replaced after 7000 miles ? - Vic Flange

My partner bought a 2013 Polo about 9 months ago, the mileage of the car is now 7,000 - Last week she noticed a juddering when braking, i presume this suggests the front brake discs - unfortunately the warranty seems to cover the first 6,000 miles or first 6 months. Would i be correct in assuming its the brake discs? - it seems a bit strange that they need replaced after 7,000 miles, should she be taking care of the cost of this? i would have hoped that the dealer would recognise that 7,000 miles for changing brake discs isn't the norm. What sort of cost is she looking at ?

Volkswagen Polo - Brake Discs replaced after 7000 miles ? - gordonbennet

Thats extremely low mileage unless someones really cooked the brakes and left their foot on the brake pedal as it cooled and transferred a patch of pad material to the disc, this does happen, as does salt corrosion on low mileage cars, though this has been a very mild winter with very little salt use.

Assuming the discs still look good, not scored badly and show only the slightest wear lip, i somehow doubt they need replacing, what i would do is remove the pads and examine them carefully...pads cannot be checked whilst in situ depite that being the normal way in service depts these days...and using a dial gauge check the disc run out, even turning the wheels by hand you will 'feel' and hear any high or grabbing spots.

Could be a caliper or slider sticking and/or one of the brakes getting hot, doubtful but can't be ruled out.

Thing is if you take it in to most dealer workshops, they will shove new discs and pads on and squirt brake cleaner liberally about, and most likely bill you for the trouble, and you still won't know what the cause was or if they really needed changing, it really needs a mechanic to look at it not a fit new parts person.

If it does need new discs/pads i'd be sourcing good quality aftermarket, probably using Textar pads from Eurocarparts or GSF (most likely OE nudge wink but a third/half of the price) and shove 'em in meself or pay a handy mate, easy job for someone used to car DiY, i wouldn't be paying the main dealer the money they'll be asking....course they might come up trumps and do it under warranty.

edit, don't forget the rear brakes either, with such low mileage they can wear surprisingly quickly.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/04/2014 at 09:29