ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - WolfGirl72

I am in need of some feedback if there are any owners or input.

I have £7500k to buy used car that has to tick following boxes.

ESTATE or MPV type - 3 kids and 3 large dogs - Economy good as motorway miles and school run too - upto 5yrs old but pref within 4 - comfy, reasonable mileage (but what is reasonable on a DIESEL or PETROL?) Should I look at Diesel or petrol?

Good Insurance & Road Tax.

I do average of 120 motorway miles a week and 80 about town/school run.

Hoping to atleast get upto 1.5k knocked off but I am new to this so not holding my breath ;-) dont have a car to Part ex as one have is on its last miles.

I have looked at, Ford Mondeo, V50 & V70 Volvo, Mercedes, BMW, Vauxhall Insignia...

I now feel when I visit a lot to look at some just baffled as like so many, but it has to last me for around 5+yrs to upgrade.

Be really grateful for any input/help.

;-)

Edited by WolfGirl72 on 07/04/2014 at 14:25

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - gordonbennet

Avensis, 1.8 petrol nearly as good on fuel as the Diesel, CVT auto is excellent if you want an auto.

Electric parking brake though, otherwise one would be on our drive.

Petrol engined of most makes will be higher VED than Diesel, but generally a simpler engine and likely not be as horrendously expensive should anything go wrong.

Kia Ceed estate surprisingly roomy too, might just be big enough, and don't ignore Honda Accord.

Edited by gordonbennet on 07/04/2014 at 16:07

Thank you, will look at these. However, I dismissed the Avensis as drive Shogan and I find Toyota's very uncomfortable to drive & passenger. But many thanks.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - skidpan

We have a Ceed Estate (they call it the SW). Very roomy load area but the rear seat space is less than cars such as the Mondeo.

We tried the Avensis 1.8 petrol estate before we bought the Ceed. Very nice car but it was very unresponsive despite the stated bhp being over 140. The road tax was also quite high and despite what people on here say I do not belive it is as economical as the diesel cars. Honest Johns Real MPG site give it 39 mpg, we get 51 mpg out of our diesel Ceed HJ says 50 mpg so the figures are pretty close to ours.

Thank you. What are Kia's like for servicing and parts, ive heard they are expensive.

Ive also the SAAB 9-3 1.9td on list to check out.

Thank you. What are Kia's like for servicing and parts, ive heard they are expensive.

The Kia has cost pretty much the same to service as the Fords we have owned in the past. A minor service has been about £160 (£200 inc. MOT) and a major was £250. Not needed any parts, its been 100% reliable other than a A/C condensor that was replaced under warranty.

Servicing is always one of the items I check before buying. Cannot believe that some people don't check and then moan later.

Thank you however boot space is too small. ;-)

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - Trilogy

Skoda Octavia.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - Ed V

3 children, 3 dogs suggest size will be important, leading towards Mondeo or Insignia models. Citroen C5 Estate is big, and will now be cheap at 3 years old, but is a much more reliable car than previous ones.

Hard though not to go for a Mondeo, probably diesel.

Thank you however boot space is too small. ;-)

Thats OK, you know what size you need.

But

I have looked at, Ford Mondeo, V50 & V70 Volvo, Mercedes, BMW, Vauxhall Insignia...

The boot on the Ceed SW is bigger than a Volvo V50 (which is very small) and most BMW estates. The Mondeo Estate has a large boot but it is quite shallow, the overall quoted capacity of the Ceed SW is very close. The V70 Volvo has a great boot, just like a Volvo should have. Never looked at an Insignia.

Yes your right and after consideration of what I need, I will be looking at boot space that is 500L + . I will go and look at cee'd. What spec is all rounder in luxury too. Even the Mazda 6. Im sure I will whittle it down...

Edited by WolfGirl72 on 07/04/2014 at 18:34

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - Cyd

I love my Saab 9-3 Aero. It's a 2.0T, Maptun tune to 255hp/360Nm and fitted with Maptun lowering springs.

It's near silent on the motorway and on my 45 mile each way run to work and back I'm getting around 40mpg, sometimes as much as 44mpg.

It also goes like stink when I want to (weekends, usually).

I've written about it before, so look here

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=104525

Just make sure to follow HJs oil change recommendations

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - corax

The road tax was also quite high and despite what people on here say I do not belive it is as economical as the diesel cars.

No one has said that - it is economical for a petrol - the diesels are not as economical as expected.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - barney100

Volvo V70 2.5 diesel. Nothing fancy on it, just eats miles and loads.....decent drive too.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - oldtoffee

Dacia Logan MCV diesel? 5 year warranty option. No unexpected bills, no road tax (for a couple of years) and big boot. OK its more than £7500 but over 5 years I bet it costs less than anything else mentioned so far.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - Graham567

I have the Ford Mondeo 59 plate Titanium X and i absolutely love it.Its the 2.0 diesel which is smooth,reliable and quiet.Do not buy the 1.8 diesel.

I get 38mpg around town and 54 mpg on the motorway.The road tax is £175.

Servicing costs me £120 for a minor service and £200 for a full service.

The Titanium X is within your budget and has all the toys.Heated leather seats,6 cd sony stereo with DAB radio,cornering lights,voice control,bluetooth,electric folding mirrors, etc.

I am 6 foot 4" tall and with my drivers seat set at a comfortable postion i can get out and get in the back behind the drivers seat and still have inches of leg room infront of me.

The boots are huge.

I would highly recommend one!.

Dacia even though tempting, is very budget. Holding 3 x 45kg dogs with a key opening boot is not what I would want. Even though I currently drive a Shogan full spec, it has had its downfall and is on 245k miles, however the boot layout holds 3 harnessed dogs secure.

After much consideration, safety also comes into it, with children also in the vehicle and I think I may miss the high up view.

So it looks like my husbands Defender 110 will do me for now until I really can put my finger on it. (he prob treat himself to a motorbike).

Many thanks for the input really appreciated from other car owners.

:-)

Is it possible to maybe look into the Pick up truck side of motoring?

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - gordonbennet

If you think a Toyota Avensis is uncomfortable, you won't want a cart sprung pick up.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - Avant

Doing 10,000 miles a year you should go for petrol: a diesel will cost you nore and as miles mount can be liable to expensive failures.

With 3 children and 3 large dogs you need something lo smaller than a Skoda Superb, Ford Mondeo or Mercedes E-class (all estates). For your budget you'd have to settle for a much older Mercedes than the other two. Volvo V70 is another possibility but I believe that these aren't as roomy as they look.

My choice would be the Skoda Superb estate: it's only been on the market since 2010 but you should get a 1.8 petrol within budget.

To accommodate children and dogs in a pickup you'd need a huge truck which would be no fun to dive.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - Alby Back
I wonder if there is some edict within VAG that Skodas 'Shalt not look as nice as VWs and that Audis shall be the fairest of them all'

No doubt in my mind at all that the Superb is very very good in either body style. But it is a bit of a munter.

My sister-in-law has a Nissan Pathfinder ( which is a sort of pick up truck with a roof) she says it's handy enough as a kid / dog shifter / caravan tugger but it's very thirsty ( even though it's a diesel manual ) and a bit of a slug to drive.

However, I'd second the suggestion that the biggest estate you can find on the budget/desire/can live with chart will be long term the best choice.

While I do get the petrol versus diesel versus mileage discussion, a large diesel estate will depreciate less violently than a large petrol estate if you ever want to sell it on.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - stivvy

Totally agree with AVANT. Having gone from doing 45k pa to less than 15k pa over the last 3 years, my experience with diesels, two Volvos, was great for the high mileage but not for the sort of use OP has described. Definitely stay away from diesel. My middle daughter has run SKODA Estate with no problems, stacks of room, good drive and excellent value.

Edited by stivvy on 09/04/2014 at 11:18

My experiences with diesels, even over low annual mileages has been fine, the savings have been woth having.

Examples.

BMW 118D. Owned 5 1/2 years, 37,500 miles. When we bought it we also considered the 118i petrol, the 118D was a much better drive. Over the 37,500 miles I saved about £1800 in fuel and £400 in RFL. Insurance and servicing were the same. New the car was £350 more than the 118i but when I traded it the walue was £600 more, another £250 better off. Total savings about £2450.

Kia Ceed SW 1.6 CRDi. Owned 3 1/2 years (so far) 35,000 miles. in those 35,000 miles we have saved about £1800 in fuel and about £200 in RFL. Again Insurance and servicing are the same, total savings about £2000. When we bought the car it was about £1000 more than the petrol, now its valued about £1100 more than the petrol, no difference. So in 3 1/2 years we have saved about £2000.

But when I bought my Seat Leon last year I bought a petrol because the projected sums simply did not work in the diesels favour. Added to that was the simple fact the petrol was a better drive. Fuel savings were expected to be approx £700. RFL savings was only £10 a year. Diesel was £2000 more than the equivalent petrol and on the previous models the diesels appeared to keep only about 1/2 of that value at best. So in 5 years and 35,000 miles I would save about £750 and loose £1000 in extra depreciation. Diesel was also in a higher insurance group but servcing was the same. As I said the figures did not work.

Basically I make my decisions based on the facts and not on the prejudices that other people may have.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - Bromptonaut

Regulars wil recognise it as my answer to everything but would a Citroen Berlingo or another van derived car fit the bill?

We've both the previous model (2005 1.9D) and current (2013 HDi 115 XTR). No problem with 3 in back, even when they're adult. Boot, although capacious as a med/large estate such as C5 or Mondeo, might be wrong shape for dogs though.

VW Caddy might fit bill in it's larger variants thouh.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - daveyK_UK

Correct.

Latest fiat Doblo also worth consideration.

ESTATE CAR 2009 ONWARDS - Stuck with decision. - Avant

Beauty - or ugliness - is in the eye of the beholder. I agree with Alby that the Superb hatch is dumpy at best - but the estate is much better proportioned and to my eyes looks better than the Passat estate.

Audis look better for sure - but you pay a lot more for less room.