X5 3.0 petrol X5 2001 Auto - Erratic drive from cold / Missfire: - redleg

Hi, Hope you can help with the following issue,

From initial start for cold [but not all the time] there is very erratic throttle response, drives slowly, then quicker by jerking forward feels as though it is misfiring [but the rev counter remains steady!] then after say about
¼ mile or so it'll suddenly drive normally, no further issues, until, i start it again from cold, although during normal driving it will occasionally start to slow with little throttle response, have to stop switch off & restart and that usually
clears it, no warning lights or any messages are displayed, except very occasionally "TRANS.FAIL-SAFE PROG".

Have taken it to the independent garage who services the car, checked diagnostics, it came up with Pensil coil issue which was changed, he cleared all the fault codes, changed plugs air filter etc., but the fault has returned

Any feedback would be appreciated..............Regards Ian

X5 3.0 petrol X5 2001 Auto - Erratic drive from cold / Missfire: - V4 Heaven

I had a random erratic drive when the engine was hot on my Toyota Carina E, 1997. One of the petrol injectors was failing and had to be replaced. This isn't a definitive answer for you but may be something worth investigating?

X5 3.0 petrol X5 2001 Auto - Erratic drive from cold / Missfire: - privateinvestor

could be a temperature sensor linked to the ecu

X5 3.0 petrol X5 2001 Auto - Erratic drive from cold / Missfire: - Collos25

Coil problem very common fault answer is to replace all coils not just one with proper coils not after market rubbish,a faulty coil can also damage the plug .

Thanks everyone, i'll post the outcome once its fixed....Ian.

Hi All, Just to let you know it's now baqck from BMW, it was the Mass Airflow meter.....Ian.