Used VW - Option to extend manufacturers warranty? - fredthefifth

Hi All, I am buying a 6 month old Passat 2L Diesel (140PS) from a VW franchise. Manufacturers warranty runs out in Aug 2016. I have enquired about extending the VW warranty and have been told something like £490 for one year and £890 for 2 years. I do about 15,000 miles a year.

Any thoughts on what questions I should be asking and in the absence of a crystal ball whether its worth it?

Thanks.

FTF

Used VW - Option to extend manufacturers warranty? - gordonbennet

Assuming that covers everything that the original makers warranty covers except consumables and friction materials, (copy of T's and C's to compare) then it seems reasonable value to me, especially the two year deal, just make sure it covers the working parts of the electric parking brake, and the DSG box if fitted.

The only thing that would niggle me is that you could instead buy an Avensis or similar and the car would be automatically warranted for those extra 2 years, a £900 discount in effect, plump for an Optima and you're covered for another 2 years on top, makes you think.

Used VW - Option to extend manufacturers warranty? - fredthefifth

Thanks GB. Did look at some cars with 5+ yeas as standard, managed to get a bit of discount as a result but point taken. Its a manual by the way.

Used VW - Option to extend manufacturers warranty? - Bromptonaut

If it genuinely extends the warranty, ie will deal no quibble with anything other than wear/tear components - tyres, brakes etc - than maybe worthwhile compared to Warranty Direct or similar.

OTOH I've twice inquired about such extensions on Citroen warranties only to be told they were not available through that dealer as nobody had the requisite FSA certification