Volvo XC90 D5 - Unexplained uneven tyre wear - the_bandit

Despite rigidly maintaining the manufacturers recommend tyre pressures, all four tyres on my car are showing signs of additional wear on the shoulders relative to the centre of the tyre. (Approx extra 0.8mm per 8000miles) I'm even using the ECO recommendation from Volvo which for my car is the same tyre pressure to be used as if fully loaded. All wheels and tyres were brand new too!

Motoring logic tells me the tyres have been under-inflated but I'm already running at the highest pressure as dictated by Volvo.

Any sensible explanations or solutions for this?

Volvo XC90 D5 - Unexplained uneven tyre wear - galileo

Maybe a silly question, are the pressures being set with a gauge that is known to be accurate?

Volvo XC90 D5 - Unexplained uneven tyre wear - gordonbennet

The obvious one is to have wheel alignment checked.

Are you hooning it round corners, and/or do you live in the living hell of Milton Keynes with its network of roundabouts, or another similar place worth avoiding.

No boy racer driving here and I don't live anywhere near MK !

Edited by the_bandit on 21/03/2014 at 08:19

I have a second gauge from a different manufacturer which confirms the same values, so unless both are wrong!

Volvo XC90 D5 - Unexplained uneven tyre wear - skidpan

all four tyres on my car are showing signs of additional wear on the shoulders relative to the centre of the tyre. (Approx extra 0.8mm per 8000miles)

If its on both the inside and outside edges its probably just a charisteristice of a large, heavy car.

If its only on one edge get the alignment checked, preferably by a reputable company that can do all 4 wheels. Forget dealers, they usually farm the work out, forget Kwik Fit etc. they don't have the necessary kit or even the expertise.

But don't forget that tyres have a hard life on a 4 x 4. As I said above they are large and heavy and when manouvering/parking there is a fair bit of tyre scrub.

If there is a XC 90 Forum it would be worth asking the same question on there, its possibly normal for this model.