Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - thirts

Could I ask what is the purpose of a V rated tyre over a H rated one for normal road use?

I have a Focus 1.6 currently running on V rated tyres. Looking at them, I'm going to replace all four, but I fail to understand why I need to replace them with V rather that H rated tyres, as the size/profile is available in both.

As H are good for 130 mph, why do I need V?

Any thoughts

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - Auristocrat

If the car was originally fitted with V rated tyres, you're changing the spec if you go for a lower speed rating, and stand a good chance of voiding your insurance. Before you fit the lower rated tyres, consult your insurance comapny to see whether they will accept the change and/or charge an additional premium.

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - skidpan

There is far more to a tyre than the size. The speed and load rating are 2 other markings on the sidewall. Manufacturers take all this into consideration before specifying the standard fitments. They have 1000's of engineers with more data than we can imagine before arriving at the OEM spec. H arted tyres would save manufacturers a few pounds on every car which over a few 100,000 cars would add up, if they were OK they would fit them.

On average a H arted tyre is perhaps £5 less than a V rated one, Buy 4 thats £20. Run them for 20,000 miles and that's 0.1 pence a mile.

Are you prepared to risk your safety, the safety of others and risk prosecution for 0.1 pence a mile?

For what its worth IMHO the H rated tyres would probably be absolutely fine when used on UK roads at UK legal speeds.

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - thirts

Are you prepared to risk your safety, the safety of others and risk prosecution for 0.1 pence a mile?

Absolutly not, hence my question.

I went on to the Black Circle website, and for my car reg they gave both the V and H rated tyres.

If I was only replacing the front or back tyres, I would replace like with like (I would not mix H and V), but as I intend to replace all four, I wondered it by going to H I was making a safety compromise, or just saving some cash

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - RT

Tyres simply have to exceed the car manufacturers' specification - check the handbook - what's currently fitted is irrelevant as they may not be original.

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - Wackyracer

Tyres simply have to exceed the car manufacturers' specification - check the handbook - what's currently fitted is irrelevant as they may not be original.

Exactly this! The handbook will have the relevant information and depending on the car, There maybe a sticker on the door shut or in the fuel filler flap with tyres sizes, Ratings and pressures.

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - leef

Short answer is "H" speed rating is fine for a 1.6 Focus.

I have a 1.6 petrol Focus and had H speed rating fitted on the car. Rangthe insurance and asked the question, after a minute on hold and being asking if I'd modified the car in any other way, and if the tyres were the correct profile, was told thats fine as the Max speed of my car is 115mph and H rated are good for 130mph so no issues. You could fit "V" rated, but IMO waste of an additional £20 for 4 tyres.

Lee

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - Bromptonaut

As others say, the key is what's in the original specification for size, speed and load rating. It may vary by precise model/trim etc so even two different 1.6 petrol Foci (?) might have diferent min requirements.

Somebody may have fitted V rather than H because they were on offer or in stock at time they were needed. Sure I'm not only one here to realise three days before a holiday that tyres look a bit worn.

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - RT

I have found in the past that V-rated tyres were slightly cheaper than H-rated - in popular sizes - probably just due to bulk buying.

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - gordonbennet

I usually buy the highest rated i can get, especially if the same price, as RT notes very often cheaper than the probably less popular lower rated.

Seldom we get caught out late needing tyres fortunately, usually start to look for the next set at least 6 months before needed, gives plenty of time to get the feel for things and for the bargains on the shortlist to crop up then hit the BiY button when the unmissable or possibly mistaken price appears, had some serious bargains doing this, grabbed a good set of winters (hardly needed this year..;) for the lad from Openeo only last autumn, within 2 days of purchase they'd jumped £25 each to about the same as everywhere else.

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - leef

I agree, if a higher rating is cheaper or the same price on the brand you want, then its a no brainer, but if your just popping into kwik fit or ATS etc as a lot of people unfortunetley do and theres a difference of £10/20 between H and V rated, then there is no problem with the H rated if they up to your cars spec. I got 4 New Hancooks on my Focus from Halfords on offer they were "H" rated, had "V"s on the car previously, they are perfectly acceptable, I won't / cant do more than 130mph in the car so hopefuly they'll not blow up and I'm sure I'm not risking anything by having these on :)

Ford Focu 1.6 - H vs V Rated Tyres - thunderbird

I won't / cant do more than 130mph in the car so hopefuly they'll not blow up and I'm sure I'm not risking anything by having these on :)

From a safety point of view you are risking nothing, as other have said the H rated tyres will be well up to the job of keeping a Focus on the road. However, have you ever had an accident and seen the assessor go over your car with a magnifying glass. He is not only looking for damage, he is looking for ways they can avoid paying out. Having tyres with a speed or load rating lower than OEM spec is one of those "get out of jail free" cards they look for.

By all means fit them but look in your handbook, look on the drivers door pillar or petrol flap for the tyre specs and check with your insurers first. They will in all probability say go ahead but find out first and avoid the possibility of an expensive mistake.