Any - Paint protection systems. - davecooper
A lot has been written on here about dealers offering paint protection finishes for, in some cases, considerable extra cost. I was probably conned into getting this done on my last car as the dealer said that some paints are more prone to stone chips and my paint choice was particularly bad for this.

Anyway, I am picking up a new car in march and have been offered the coating for £250. I have declined because so many people on here have said you can do the same job yourself for £50 or so.

My question is, do these coatings really help protect the paint from chips etc? Immediately after picking up the car, I am heading off on holiday in the UK, therefore I will not be able to apply any protection until I return. Should I have any concern that the paintwork is not protected as well as it could be during this time?
Any - Paint protection systems. - skidpan

I have never polished a new car immediately on purchase and I have never paid a dealer a stupid amount of cash to put some pointless polish on it.

I simply polish my cars twice a year using a good quality wax (currently Meguiars Gold Class), wash regluarly and enjoy. Gold class costs about £15 a bottle and lasts 5 years for 2 cars so why anyone would want to spend even £50 is beyond me. There again on one forum a chappie spent £2000 for some special polish for his Kia, he must have been totally mad

I can state that without doubt my cars are in excellent condition when i sell them for minimal outlay and effort.

Any - Paint protection systems. - Ethan Edwards

They offer no protection whatsoever against stonechips imo. Total snake oil.

I was looking at the Yaris yesterday and both rueing and lamenting the tar /stone chip situation. Sticky black knobby bits blend very well against light silver metallic don't you think? Tried to use some spot treatment with AutoGlym Super Resin polish ..removes some tar but the hole remains and in very fetching sticky tar black. Lovely zitty appearance.

26K miles and I ain't 'appy Supa Dupa Gard. Though I'd be more upset still if I myself had actually paid the £500 for it. Dealer had several Yaris' to give to new owners that day and did mine by mistake (hah!).

I eschewed the stuff based on the cost and the fact I have had dismal experiences with Dya-mund-brigit (Note to mod are these brand names disguised enough?) also quite useless imo. Now't beats AutoGlym and El-bow grease.

Any - Paint protection systems. - Hamsafar

My question is, do these coatings really help protect the paint from chips etc?

Of course not, go to Trading Standards and complain about miss-selling.

Any - Paint protection systems. - davecooper
Thought as much. After all, all car paint has a thick layer of laquer on it these days anyway, doesn't it?
I will apply my normal good quality polish once the weather allows!
After all, all car paint has a thick layer of laquer on it these days anyway, doesn't it?

All metallics/mica etc finishes are lacquered but only some solid colours are. The white car I bought last year has no lacquer but in the past I have had plenty of long lasting unlacquered solid cars so not worried.

Any - Paint protection systems. - Drivethru

I agree with Ethan, I have used Autoglym for years. Wash with the bodywork shampoo, then use the super resin polish and finish with the extra gloss protection, which acts as a sealant for the polish. The stuff the garage tries to sell you is just a con, avoid at all costs.

Any - Paint protection systems. - corax

I use Car Lack. First you need to clay the car to make the panels spotless, then the polish, then the sealant. Both need to be left around 15 minutes per panel to cure. You won't have to treat the car again for a year, then you only have to use the sealant again. It is really tough stuff.

Quite a few hours preparation and work, but worth it when it lasts so long. I find that the car stays clean for much longer too.

Any - Paint protection systems. - oldtoffee

What corax said. Maybe use an intenive tar cleaner before claying it to save the clay bar clogging up.

Any - Paint protection systems. - Ethan Edwards

SupurrrGard does however protect 100% against Wildebeest, at least my Yaris hasn't been attacked by rampaging Wildebeest whilst I have been driving round the the UK.

So it must be good for something eh? ;)

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 18/02/2014 at 13:10

Meguairs has given all my cars 100% protection against damage caused by Dodo droppings.

One of the wonders of modern science.