Any - Battery and Alternator Management Systems - Firmbutfair

My son has owned his 58 plate BMW 123d Coupe since 2009. Purchased S/H from the local BMW dealer with a full service history. The car has been serviced by BMW in line with the recommended schedules but is now exhibiting 'problems with the electrics'. BMW checked the battery/alternator management system at the last service and pronounced all fine. My son's driving pattern has changed dramatically from doing 2 x 47 miles per day to just 2 x 3 miles per day and all his instuments, radio and trip computer are losing data and losing radio code etc. However there is always plenty of power to start the car before each journey. It appears to be the original battery. Any ideas about an inexpensive solution?

Any - Battery and Alternator Management Systems - martint123

Initially, I'd go for the cheap test of getting a battery tender and leaving it on all the time it is not in use to see if matters improved. (Aldi/Lidl ones are cheap and effective). Assuming it is garaged or has power available.

Other than that, I find modern batteries cause problems at around 5 years old, so it may be worth him putting some pennies aside for a replacement. It is usually at this time of year with cold batteries that problems start up.

Does the radio data and clock data seem fine when switching the ignition on and disapear when starting?? I would guess so and indicates volatge dropping too far when starting up.

Any - Battery and Alternator Management Systems - Firmbutfair

Initially, I'd go for the cheap test of getting a battery tender and leaving it on all the time it is not in use to see if matters improved. (Aldi/Lidl ones are cheap and effective). Assuming it is garaged or has power available.

Other than that, I find modern batteries cause problems at around 5 years old, so it may be worth him putting some pennies aside for a replacement. It is usually at this time of year with cold batteries that problems start up.

Does the radio data and clock data seem fine when switching the ignition on and disapear when starting?? I would guess so and indicates volatge dropping too far when starting up.

Many thanks martin123 - a very helpful observation. I think you may well be right. Memory/data IS sometimes lost immediately after starting the engine - I will ask my Son to monitor the battery volts whilst cranking (with my trusty DVM set to 'HOLD MIN ' ) I believe that it should not fall below about 9 volts whilst cranking (on a 12 volt SLI battery ?)

Edited by Firmbutfair on 30/01/2014 at 11:14

Any - Battery and Alternator Management Systems - 659FBE

I have just repaired a BMW (different model) of similar vintage with charging problems, giving very similar symptoms.

Firstly check that the alternator is made by Bosch - Valeo machines are not suspect. A batch of Bosch regulators made in the UK (S. Wales) are suspect, and fail due to a water soluble adhesive being used to cover the hybrid chip. The water boils and steam blows the lid, destroying the sealing integrity.

Replacement regulators (the part number changes) are made in Mexico and do not exhibit this fault.

Changing the regulator/brusbox assembly is completely straightforward. On some installations it can be done in-situ. Any vehicle of this vintage (M-B, VAG etc) will exhibit this problem if this regulator is fitted. Genuine Bosch Mexican regulators are available online more cheaply if bought under the "cargo" label. You will need to enter the original part number (FOOM....) and get the updated part. There are lots of configurations and termination options to suit different vehicles. BMW use +15 and 61 on the 2 pin connector.

Bosch have closed the S. Wales factory.

Edited by 659FBE on 30/01/2014 at 11:28

Any - Battery and Alternator Management Systems - elekie&a/c doctor

Find a garage that can carry out a conductance test on the battery.You may find that the battery can start the car,but if the voltage under cranking drops below around 10 volts,then a lot of electronic equipt will shut down and suffer memory loss.hth