Ford Focus 1.6 Elle (02 Plate) - Is this Ford Focus 02 worth it? - iajb

Hi,

I have been to view a Ford Focus today and I really liked the car, bodywork and interior was in great condition for age.

Car has 78k miles on it with part service history, 3 owners and MOT history. It is taxed until end of February and MOT'd till September 2014.

Issues with the car:

- Cambelt needs replacing

- Occasionally revs at 2000-4000 rpm when it should be ideling

- Windscreen wiper gets stuck on single wipe mode (motor needs replacing)

- Wing mirror is loose and damaged on one side so that needs fixing

- There may be a power steering leak as the reservoir was empty

MOT advisories:

- Exhaust back box has minor hole causing exhaust fumes to leak

- Brake pipes slightly corroded

- Brake discs are worn but not severely

- Bushes are worn but no excessive movement

The owner seemed very genuine but lacked knowledge. The car has not been serviced for 3 years which also worries me. The car has been sat still for 4 months as the owner has a new car from work so drives that instead.

We agreed a price of £900 for the car but I'm now having strong doubts due to the amount of work that needs to be carried out plus the potential extra costs (particularly regarding the power steering fluid leak).

Would really appreicate some honest advice if this car is worth the risk as I am lost and confused myself.

Thanks in advance I really appreciate any help.

Ford Focus 1.6 Elle (02 Plate) - Is this Ford Focus 02 worth it? - oldroverboy.

NO NO NO.

Do not waste your time, the car is effectively worth nothing.

Thanks for reply.

Not what I wanted to hear but I guess I knew that myself but just didn't want to admit it.

Any more advice?

Ford Focus 1.6 Elle (02 Plate) - Is this Ford Focus 02 worth it? - csgmart

Any more advice?

You've already had the best advice there is - what more do you need?

Guess this is my second opinion then if I wanted one. Think I'm going to stop my search for a focus because I've had no luck!

Thanks again.

Ford Focus 1.6 Elle (02 Plate) - Is this Ford Focus 02 worth it? - elekie&a/c doctor

Just to put this into perspective,I bought an 04 same model,2 years ago for £1200.It reqd no mechanical repairs.All that was needed was some cosmetic repairs to the rear bumper.A 1.6 Focus of this age can be a solid purchase,if the right one can be found.They are out there.

Ford Focus 1.6 Elle (02 Plate) - Is this Ford Focus 02 worth it? - The-Mechanic

According to wisebuyers price guide, the guide price for a poor condition Focus of this age and mileage is £541. Given the work that needs doing, I'd say it's condition is lower than poor.

The costs involved to rectify just the known faults and replacing the cambelt (not including the MOT advisories) would probably cost just about the same, if not more than the lowest valuation, effectively making the car worthless.

Walk away from it, it will be nothing but trouble and a money pit. As doc above said, there are plenty of these about. Bide your time, go view a few and don't get suckered into buying a wreck.

Ford Focus 1.6 Elle (02 Plate) - Is this Ford Focus 02 worth it? - Avant

I don't think anyone is suggesting you 'stop your search for a Focus' - just don't go for that one, particularly as it hasn't been serviced for 3 years and has sat still for some time.

Equally, don't confine your search to Focuses, as if your budget is around £1,000 condition matters much more than make or model. But a point in favour of a Ford is that there are lots around to choose from: even at this age it's possible to find one that's been looked after and has fewer issues than this one.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you 'stop your search for a Focus' - just don't go for that one, particularly as it hasn't been serviced for 3 years and has sat still for some time.

Equally, don't confine your search to Focuses, as if your budget is around £1,000 condition matters much more than make or model. But a point in favour of a Ford is that there are lots around to choose from: even at this age it's possible to find one that's been looked after and has fewer issues than this one.

I was suggesting that to myself really, think I had been far too narrow with my search with only 1-1.5k to spend.

I have taken everyones comments on board and will definitely be walking away from this one. This is my first time buying a car so I am learning how it all works in a way, while trying to avoid the pitfalls.

A local mechanic today told me to go for a honda civic or a toyota corolla (around the same year/younger) if I couldn't find a focus in good condition, thoughts on this? I could stretch my budget but ideally wanted a first car that I wouldn't be suicidal if I dinked it while parking etc. so was looking at cheaper cars.

Thanks again.

Ford Focus 1.6 Elle (02 Plate) - Is this Ford Focus 02 worth it? - galileo

Also look for Hyundai Accents, tend to be cheaper than Toyotas or Hondas and usually within your price range. Impoverished stepson has had three over the last few years, all for less than £1000, all reliable. (Changed each for a newer model with shinier bodywork)