Skoda Octavia Elegance 2005 , 1.9 TDi 130 bhp - Thinking of buying Skoda - Astrotara

Am looking at a Skoda Elegance , it is ex police but was used like a company car , not for emergencies, with no changes from the original. Its 130bhp.

Would this be a better buy for me then a 2002 with 110 bhp. I tow a caravan now and again.

It has no spare wheel, is this usual?

Skoda Octavia Elegance 2005 , 1.9 TDi 130 bhp - Thinking of buying Skoda - oldtoffee

The 130 will be a better tow car, more torque. That engine has a good reputation for longevity with Bosch injectors and the 5 speed manual is the gearbox to have. There are some 3 letter engine codes that you can check on here and elsewhere as giving you the Bosch injectors and 5 speed. AWX is one of the codes. Use the search on this site for plenty of info on the PD engines. The engine needs regular oil changes with a specific VW approved oil for that engine. Make sure you have a history of this being done and cam belt and water pump changes preferably every 40k miles although some will tell you it can be left longer.

No idea about the spare, alloy I guess being Elegance, but I'd buy a full size wheel and tyre off ebay.

Skoda Octavia Elegance 2005 , 1.9 TDi 130 bhp - Thinking of buying Skoda - gordonbennet

If its direct ex police..ie not another owner since...then a full and complete print out of its service hsitory should accompany the vehicle.

One of my very best cars was an ex driving school Rover 827, the service history of which the most fastidious classic car owner would drool over, probably nearing 150k miles when i finally sold on, that car never missed a beat, went like a scalded cat and at tickover the engine was almost inaudible.

Skoda Octavia Elegance 2005 , 1.9 TDi 130 bhp - Thinking of buying Skoda - Big John

The 1.9 pd 130 is one of the best VAG diesels especially if fitted with the 5 speed manual box

At that age I think it should come with a spare wheel - on later models it was an option though. As a police car they may have stored things under the floor!