BMW 320 M Sport - Alloy Wheel Faults - spd

Have been thinking about buying a BMW 320D M Sport, but I am somewhat alarmed at the number of stories/concerns regarding the 19" alloy wheels. There are numerous accounts of these alloy wheels developing serious cracks and thus need to be repaced (including the tyre). Buyers complain that this is a known fault but that BMW refuse to acknowledge the problem and dismiss these faults as being caused by potholes. I have no personal experience of any such issues so would be most interested in any feedback.

BMW 320 M Sport - Alloy Wheel Faults - skidpan

Low profile tyres as used on 19" wheels have very stiff sidewalls that absorb very little of any pot holes that you hit, the run flats as used by BMW are even stiffer and absorb even less. This can cause problems for the wheels and suspension.

Simple solution is to buy a car with 16" or 17" rims. You will have no issues then.

The 19" rims have no advantage other than the bling factor.

BMW 320 M Sport - Alloy Wheel Faults - coopshere
Also shows BMW's attitude to complaints and warranty issues. Find a better manufacturer.
BMW 320 M Sport - Alloy Wheel Faults - 72 dudes

M-Sport suspension + 19" wheels = loss of fillings boneshaker.

OK on German autobahns and billiard table smooth roads, not so much here.

An SE with 17" wheels rides rather well though, apparently.

BMW 320 M Sport - Alloy Wheel Faults - Collos25
Also shows BMW's attitude to complaints and warranty issues. Find a better manufacturer.

There is nothing wrong with BMW wheels only there application by users.

Even my son runs 17" wheels on his Alpina in Germany, 19" in the UK is asking for trouble both with the wheels and with your fillings.

Edited by Collos25 on 07/01/2014 at 13:28

BMW 320 M Sport - Alloy Wheel Faults - Andrew-T

Some owners might argue that BMW is fully aware of the road conditions in the UK and should have made their 19-inch alloys fitter for purpose. You can hardly expect a salesman to warn buyers to drive their sporty vehicles carefully on potholed roads in case a wheel fractures?