Peugeot 205 - Peugeot 205 non start - freddie298

Hi there.

I have just changed the cam belt and flexible fuel lines coming from the top of the fuel tank on my 1989 peugeot 205 gti 1.6. The car however will no longer start. I have no idea what it could be as it was running absolutely fine before I started this work!

Any advice would be greatly received!

Thanks in advance!

Fred

Peugeot 205 - Peugeot 205 non start - The-Mechanic

If the car was running fine before I'd be checking the cam timing in case it's slipped or not been timed up correctly ? If that's OK, check the fuel pipes are fitted the correct way round just in case you got them mixed up. If they are OK, check if when you did the cambelt there are any sensors that you forgot to connect or any trapped wiring.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be checking it this weekend!
Car all running fine now. However a new problem seems to have materialised!
At tick over there seems to be a bearing noise coming from the engine. Would the new cam belt put extra tension on the output bearing or on the cam?
Again any advice would be great !
Thanks
Peugeot 205 - Peugeot 205 non start - Oli rag
Car all running fine now. However a new problem seems to have materialised! At tick over there seems to be a bearing noise coming from the engine. Would the new cam belt put extra tension on the output bearing or on the cam? Again any advice would be great ! Thanks

Only if the belt was over tensioned, are you sure it's correct?

Edited by Oli rag on 11/01/2014 at 19:24

As far as I'm aware. I don't think you can over tension the belt as it's a spring loaded tensioner?
The noise goes away as soon as you rev the engine. Very strange!
Peugeot 205 - Peugeot 205 non start - csgmart
As far as I'm aware. I don't think you can over tension the belt as it's a spring loaded tensioner? The noise goes away as soon as you rev the engine. Very strange!

I have no knowledge of these engines so what I am about to say may be complete b******s. I have previously replaced belts on other engines and once had a similar problem. This was caused by me not also replacing the idler roller (Ford cvh engine).

Could that be your problem?

I've replaced the idler roller. Would the cam shaft smearing and output bearings be likely to have gone wrong?
It's a strange sounds, it's not a high pitched squeak as you'd expect from a bad bearing.
Peugeot 205 - Peugeot 205 non start - sarka1230

try running it with the alternator belt off, if there is no noise then check tensioner bearings etc ifyou still have the noise then check the cam bbelt cover is fitted correctly [run it with cover off if no clear signs] if still there then must be cam belt check aligment and all bearings etc