2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - bluenun

At the end of January I will be going abroad for 12 months and am leaving the car in a storage container.

It was suggested that I disconnect the battery when storing it, I just looked in the Haynes manual to see which terminal I should disconnect first and read that if I disconnect the battery the ECU will lose the information stored in it's memory (KAM), this includes idling and operating values and any fault codes detected, it goes on..........

Also the Ford keycode audio unit will not function again on reconnection until the security code is entered (I bought the car from auction 7 years ago and was never given the code.)

Also it will be necessary to re-initialiose each electric window motor seperatley.

Scary stuff for me, I did leave it for 3 months from end of August until end of November with the battery still connected and it started frist time.

Should I try it for 12 months?I do have a battery charger and a friend who can charge my battery from his car should I need to.

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - skidpan

After 12 months of inactivity in a container your battery will probably be dead but there is also a good chance your brakes will be rusted up and the interior of the car covered in mildew. The A/C probably won't work either

The ECU will soon relearn once you start driving again, programming windows is not that difficult and if you do a search on here you will find the radio code. Its normal stuff you ahve to do after fitting a new battery.

So disconnect the battery earth terminal but don't lock the doors. make sure the car is still insured while its in storage (and make the insurer aware what is happeneing) plus remember to SORN the car.

Better option is to sell it and buy another on your return.

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - madf

Better option is to sell it and buy another on your return.

If your garage is dry, and you trickle charge the battery, you should be OK as long as you leave a window open to prevent mould.

Otherwise sell it.

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - Armitage Shanks {p}

HJ offers this comment http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/storing-a-car/

I haven't read thru it but I recall that some problems can include tyres getting flat spots from standing, clutch plates seizing, mice and rodents getting in and eating uphostery and, without geting into the body they can eat wiring in the engine bay. Good luck

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - Collos25

He has had all this advice before but seems most convinced that to put an almost worthless car into an expensive tin box for year plus all the ancillary expenditure is the way to go.

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - dan86

Like has been mentioned befor in another thread it will bebetter to sell the car and buy another one on his return.

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - alan1302

If your garage is dry, and you trickle charge the battery, you should be OK as long as you leave a window open to prevent mould.

He doesn't have a garage - he is putting into a metal container crate.

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - SteveLee

After 12 months of inactivity in a container your battery will probably be dead but there is also a good chance your brakes will be rusted up and the interior of the car covered in mildew. The A/C probably won't work either

As long as the battery was healthy and fully-charged when disconencted, it should last a year completely disconnected. Although it would be wise to take a jump start pack along with you when it comes to starting it again.

The procedure to disconnect the battery should be in the owners' handbook.

Put the car on axle stands to prevent damage to the tyres.

PS clean around the terminals and the top of the battery after disconnecting with a lint-free rag and alcohol (or similar), oil mist or crud on the battery case when it becomes moist can leach a small amount of charge flattening the battery over time, that why it's advisable to remove both terminal connections.

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - RT

As long as the battery was healthy and fully-charged when disconencted, it should last a year completely disconnected. .

The self-discharge rate inherent in all lead-acid batteries means that they need recharging every 2-3 months, even if stood disconnected. In addition, car batteries aren't designed for deep discharge so 12 months without charging is gauranteed to kill one.

I've been mucking around with cars for over 30 years, I have had plenty of batteries I've left standing in my workshop for a year plus that are still perfectly servicable after that period. As long as they are fully charged and cleaned before you store them and they are not allowed to get wet - they will be fine unless they are already on the way out. yes they will lose a chunk of their charge but as long as they are not allowed to get flat enough to freeze in the winter they will be fine.

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - bluenun

There is no A/C on the car.

I have the 4 digit audio code now.

Already got the V14 for SORN and refund. I had to do one in August when i was away for 3 months.

I would sell it if I was staying abroad but I have a temporary permit/visa and have to apply again when it runs out in the hope of a permanent permit.

I have to hire the container for my possessions anyway which I can't ship over until i know if i will get the permanent permit.

When I come in back to the UK in 10-12 months time I would have to hire a car for a couple of months at I guess £600 a month.

I will disconnect the earth terminal.

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - Collos25

I have had and seen batteries one or two years old that have been stood start a car with no problems at all do not forget new batteries could be a few months old before you even buy them.

2003 Ford Focus auto 1.6 - Disconnecting the battery - RT

New batteries usually have stickers reminding the retailer to recharge them every 2 months.