Peugeot 306 HDI D-turbo - Rubbing/vibration noise offside front. - garyc923

Approximately 500 miles ago I discovered a rubbing noise coming from the offside front of the vehicle when in motion. This can also be felt as a dull vibration through the steering wheel and throttle pedal. This vibration increases in frequency as the speed increases, and increases in severity and volume when turning right during driving or braking.

I have likened this noise and feel to a slighly buckled wheel or a warped brake disc but the discs and pads have just been renewed and the noise appeared during a long drive.

When travelling over bumps there is also a knocking noise coming from the same area.

I suspect it maybe the cv joint but would be grateful for any other thoughts.

Peugeot 306 HDI D-turbo - Rubbing/vibration noise offside front. - Peter.N.

I would also suspect a CV joint although they are not the classic symptoms, the only other possibility would be a wheel bearing. If the CV joint is that badly worn you should be able to feel movement in it.

Peugeot 306 HDI D-turbo - Rubbing/vibration noise offside front. - paulc924

Anti-roll bar bushes maybe?

Thanks for the replies. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Peugeot 306 HDI D-turbo - Rubbing/vibration noise offside front. - andy815

This one sounds like a trackrod end is worn.

It ended up being the two front wheel bearings. I changed the o/s/f bearing and the noise was still noticeable so changed the n/s/f and that has now cured the problem.

Regards,

Gary

Peugeot 306 HDI D-turbo - Rubbing/vibration noise offside front. - gordonbennet

It ended up being the two front wheel bearings. I changed the o/s/f bearing and the noise was still noticeable so changed the n/s/f and that has now cured the problem.

Deja vu.

Umpteen years ago we diagnosed one front wheel bearing on my mate's 305, changed it but still as bad, it was the inner bearing on the other side.

Very difficult to be certain when the bearing runs quietly unless weight is imposed during cornering.