all - Tax Discs to be Axed - MartynK

Looks like the Tax Disc will finally be a thing of the past.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631

Good or Bad?

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - Snakey

If only they were being axed properly! This is probably just an administrative change to save money, that will probably end up costing more as they invest more in ANPR to check those cars without tax.

About time road tax was axed altogether as the out of date idea it really is, I would say stick the duty on fuel but theres plenty on there already, and get rid of the tv license while you're at it :-)

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - jamie745

If the tax has to stay then make it a flat rate. The BBC Funding Tax (sorry, TV Licence) is a flat rate and nobody complains about that....

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - galileo

If the tax has to stay then make it a flat rate. The BBC Funding Tax (sorry, TV Licence) is a flat rate and nobody complains about that....

I complain about it. Every programme seems to finish 5 minutes before the next so they can irritate me with b****y trailers for all kinds of crap I would rather have teeth pulled than watch. Why do they spend licence money on fancy graphics before every programme, even the news, just to keep geeks in a job?

Don't get me started on the obscene amounts paid to bosses and claimed on expenses.

The BBC is just another 'old boys' gravy train, like Government and Local Authorites, with a guaranteed income extorted from us they concept of thrift and economy is foreign to it.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - artill

I am all for a flat rate tax like the BBC. Better still as they dont tax you on how many TVs you have, how big they are, how much energy they use, or what sort of rubbish you watch on them.

Anybody who watches TOWIE should have to pay double though.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - Armitage Shanks {p}

It is a falt flat rate for a common service, available to all.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - martint123

What's all this about the BBC licence being a flat rate tax?? Those with a nice colour telly pay more than the misers with black and white box.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - RT

What's all this about the BBC licence being a flat rate tax?? Those with a nice colour telly pay more than the misers with black and white box.

But everyone's seen all the old black-and-white repeats many times.

Perversely, the registered blind only get 50% discount !

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - Andrew-T

If only they were being axed properly! This is probably just an administrative change to save money, that will probably end up costing more as they invest more in ANPR to check those cars without tax.

About time road tax was axed altogether as the out of date idea it really is, I would say stick the duty on fuel but theres plenty on there already, and get rid of the tv license while you're at it :-)

Maybe they are just getting rid of the disc, not the tax? ANPR and on-line access is probably a more reliable way to check whether a car has been taxed.

In principle it makes sense to tax vehicles according to how much they use the roads - i.e.at the pumps. But then other countries' fuel would be much cheaper.

As for TV licences: as pretty well every inhabited building in the country has a TV, separate licensing seems no longer necessary. The over-75s get free TV, so it is a way of taking ~£100+ from the 'young' and giving it to the 'old' in the shape of winter fuel allowance.

But then other countries' fuel would be much cheaper.

Oh so you believe in international competition now....

The over-75s get free TV, so it is a way of taking ~£100+ from the 'young' and giving it to the 'old' in the shape of winter fuel allowance.

Well quite. The downside of any flat rate tax is you then have to put in a whole host of exemptions to avoid political scorn. We'll be told the alternative is missing out the licence fee paying middle man and Government just handing the money straight to the BBC, but I'm not sure I like that either.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - Collos25

I am almost sure they intend to keep the staus quo they only plan to get rid of the disc you will still have to pay,the computer system at the DVLA is said to upto the all difficulties that may arise.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - Trilogy

The new system will allow motorists to pay their car tax by monthly direct debit.

The new system will allow motorists to pay their car tax by monthly direct debit.

With a surcharge, like 6-monthly discs are now.

I'll probably leave my last ever tax disc in the windscreen to remind me what month it expires.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - veryoldbear

Not a bad idea. I suspect that the new system will be a bit like the existing renewal notice. You'll think you've got plenty of money left at the end of the month and then they send you the letter ... oh s***

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - Andrew-T

< Oh so you believe in international competition now.... >

It's not a reflection of my beliefs, or anyone else's. It would naturally follow.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - NARU

Depending how they do it, the ability to tax montly could be interesting. I have a 2 seater and a 4x4, so it would be nice to be able to SORN one and tax the other - amking the decision on a month-by-month basis.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - artill

Depending how they do it, the ability to tax montly could be interesting. I have a 2 seater and a 4x4, so it would be nice to be able to SORN one and tax the other - making the decision on a month-by-month basis.

I hadnt thought of it working that way. That would be brilliant, but i bet it wont be that easy

It can already work that way, in a fashion, but currently you need to buy 6/12 months and then apply for a refund.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - Hamsafar

making the decision on a month-by-month basis.

Pft! They aren't that generous!
It will be 12 months paid in advance in monthly installments -

If you want to cancel, you have to lose the last months' tax you paid for.

all - Tax Discs to be Axed - Armitage Shanks {p}

Could be a nice earner for Osborne! Sell a car on 15th of month but don't get a refund on the unused 2 weeks. Buyer has to tax from the beginning of the month and pays for 2 weeks has hasn't used. Unless there will be a scheme to change owenership and keep the tax going and tranferred with the car.