B-MaxB-MAX - Ford PowerShift Automatic - Sir Lancelot
Is the Ford PowerShift Automatic a reliable gearbox? Does it still provide creep in the same way as a "proper" automatic when no throttle is applied?
B-MaxB-MAX - Ford PowerShift Automatic - RT
Is the Ford PowerShift Automatic a reliable gearbox? Does it still provide creep in the same way as a "proper" automatic when no throttle is applied?

No and no!

DSGs from all manufacturers are struggling to establish any reputation for reliability - the lack of creep and poor low speed control are the main areas of concern to those changing from conventional automatics.

Thanks, that rules them out for me as I have a very narrow drive and need creep to get a wing mirror within one inch of the wall, been managing it in this house for the last 50 years.

B-MaxB-MAX - Ford PowerShift Automatic - Richard M

I don't have any experience of the B Max auto but our Smax auto definitely has the creep facility.

Smax auto definitely has the creep facility

-------------------------------------------------------

Interesting, must check that out when we return from West Australia as I've always liked Fords. Have been considering a Vauhxall Meriva as it has a "proper" auto-box, but I've never had a Vauxhall.

B-MaxB-MAX - Ford PowerShift Automatic - 72 dudes

I think you might find the S-Max too wide for your driveway, regardless of creep!

Smax auto definitely has the creep facility

-------------------------------------------------------

Interesting, must check that out when we return from West Australia as I've always liked Fords. Have been considering a Vauhxall Meriva as it has a "proper" auto-box, but I've never had a Vauxhall.

B-MaxB-MAX - Ford PowerShift Automatic - KB.

No and no!

DSGs from all manufacturers are struggling to establish any reputation for reliability - the lack of creep and poor low speed control are the main areas of concern to those changing from conventional automatics.

The 7 speed DSG in my Yeti DOES creep.

The poor low speed control IS NOT the main area of concern to those changing from TC boxes.

The reliability factor IS debatable. Very many have run to high mileages without issue. Some have had problems that are sufficiently well documented as not to warrant repetition here but a blanket condemnation isn't, in my view, appropriate.

I have one, so have an element of experience on which to call. Don't know if the detractors here have owned one.

B-MaxB-MAX - Ford PowerShift Automatic - Avant

This is a more general point so moved to Motoring.

B-MaxB-MAX - Ford PowerShift Automatic - daveyjp
Audi DSG creeps too. Whether it does or not depends how the system is set up. Some don't engage the clucth until gas is applied, so no creep, example smart. Others engage as soon as the brakes are off, such as Audi.

Mercedes now use a twin cltch auto auto in some models so this is a new entrant to watch for problems emerging.
B-MaxB-MAX - Ford PowerShift Automatic - nortones2

Honda (or whoever makes the transmission for them) are said to have a TC element in their dual-clutch set up for the Jazz. I'm not sure how that works, but I guess the TC takes on the role of providing the creep function, and while moving off from rest. Allowing the clutches to remain fully engaged, only actuated when gears are to be swapped. TC lock-up when moving at or over a predetermined speed.