Volkswagen T5 Camper / Van - PD Engines ? - A3 A4

Am looking to purchase a T5 camper or maybe a van to convert.

I'm sold on the longevity and reliability of PD engines, and that would be my ideal choice.

Could anyone tell me if there are any engines to avoid as they don't seem to follow the same outputs as VAG road cars (84 & 102PS). I want to avoid DPF's and later versions (BXE?)

Any help welcome.

Volkswagen T5 Camper / Van - PD Engines ? - concrete

I think 659 or dieselnut maybe the best source of information. For my part I know a little about the 1.9 TDi 130 PD engine. This nice piece of kit drives my Skoda Superb and has done for over 170K miles. Regular servicing, long life oil, cam belt changes and that's it. The 130 stands for Brake Horse Power, nearly the same in PS I believe, which I think equates to 96Kw. Whatever, there is bags of grunt. Also no DPF to worry about. On mine the DMF, Clutch and Exhaust are original and approaching 8 years old. Marvellous engine if you can find a good well cared for example. Cheers and good luck. Concrete

Volkswagen T5 Camper / Van - PD Engines ? - A3 A4

Cheers concrete,

They are indeed fine engines, had a 130BHP Audi A4, but replaced it with an 02 Avant (more space needed) with the 100BHP engine, that has just passed its MOT with no problem, its 100k behind yours! have absolutley no intention of getting rid.

My experience of the PD is the reason I want a T5 with a PD engine, but I have no knowledge of the vehicle at all.

Volkswagen T5 Camper / Van - PD Engines ? - elekie&a/c doctor
I would avoid the 2.5 engine models.they run a very complicated gear drive camshaft water pump and aux drive system.This is very noisy and they always sound like a bag of nails.hth
Volkswagen T5 Camper / Van - PD Engines ? - oldtoffee

I think the 3 letter engine code is crucial and some like AWX were the last to have the Bosch injectors, 5 speed manual but I don't think they were in the T5. Check out wiki

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_die...s

Edited by oldtoffee on 30/10/2013 at 21:10