Honda Jazz 1.4 (2006) - Winter wheels & tyres - Carl D
Current (summer) tyres are 185/55 R15 on standard alloys (15x6 JJ). I want to fit steel wheels and winter tyres.
Www.mytyres.co.uk recommend 175/65 R15 tyres on 5 1/2 x 15 wheels. Are these compatible with the Jazz?
Also my local Honda dealer says Honda supply a winter tyre/wheel combination but they do not list them for my car (only for more recent models). Does that mean they are incompatible with it?
Any advice welcome!
Cheers, Carl
Honda Jazz 1.4 (2006) - Winter wheels & tyres - gordonbennet

Usually just as cheap (and you know there will be no fitment probs) to source a used set of alloys (or genuine steels) for your car from the usual auction site and fit whatever the standard tyre size for the wheel is.

Whatever you decide be quick as winter tyres prices will soon start to rise if they haven't already.

If the tyres need replacing soon you could consider snowflake marked winter spec all seasons as straight replacements on the present wheels, such as Goodyear Vector or Vredestein Quatrac.

Honda Jazz 1.4 (2006) - Winter wheels & tyres - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Generally, a slightly slimmer tyre (within reason) gives better grip as regards pounds per sqare inch over the contact area, on snow and ice. In my experience, there should be little difference between a 185 - 6J and 175 - 5.5J tyre and wheel combo. (Though a 175 tyre on a 6J wheel gives better braking, in my experience).

There are a couple of firms out there who will supply you with a set of steel wheels complete with a set of Winter tyres.

Honda Jazz 1.4 (2006) - Winter wheels & tyres - oldtoffee

Going up two sections will put your speedo out by 4.11% a bit too much IMO. Check with your car's manual what tyre sizes are listed as these will be right and you can tell your insurer the same so there shouldn't be any problems. Maybe your summer tyres are not the "right" size which is why mytyres have come up with a different section tyre.

For winter I've gone from 17" alloys with 50 section tyres to 16" steels with 55 section and the speedo is out by -0.77% which to me is reassuring.

Edited by oldtoffee on 01/11/2013 at 13:36