Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - trailer

I've just had my 59 plate Audi A3 in for a replacement headlight due to a DRL (LED) failure. I've heard a rumour (as you do) since that Audi know this is a fault and are replacing a lot of these. As the replacement cost me close to £500 (Self levelling Xenon variety) I was wondering if it would be worth pursuing this any further with Audi for a goodwill gesture? Thanks in advance.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - oldtoffee

My fairly recent experience of chasing down a claim with VAG is yes it is worth it but expect a great deal of hand wringing, frustration and ducking and weaving. If you have a bit more than a rumour ie evidence on other forums of Audi paying up then add that to your argument. Get a case number from Audi/VAG and a name of who is dealojg with you and their email address. Then don't accept their initial refusal saying its not a fault or even an out of warranty issue and also refuse their subsequent paltry goodwill offers, stick out for a decent contribution and keep your fingers crossed.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - oldtoffee

"dealojg"? - dealing :-(

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - elekie&a/c doctor
Worryingly,led lights seem to be failing on a regular basis on modern cars.not just drls but other lights , mainly park and side lights.Usually it is after the warranty has expired.It would appear that any damp or moisture ingress into the lamp is enough to damage the delicate electronics that power the LEDs.
Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - gordonbennet

re-arrange plague like avoid the

Just another addition to the many tick boxes of no thanks matey

along with--- electric parking brakes, automated manual/dsg gearboxes, goo/toy pumps instead of spare wheels, runflats, Diesels with DPFs, keyless go/cars with plipper only access, stop/start etc etc.

Eventually when i can't find a car/van/pick up which doesn't have all that carp and more i'll hang me driving gloves up and take the bus or taxi.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - markweatherill

Getting the absolute most light output from LED DRLs seems to be the priority for manufacturers. Considering LEDs last for ever if they are run within their tolerances (electrical and thermal - and cooling becomes an issue with high powered LEDs) it must be that car manufacturers are carefully trading brightness against long life, and we are now seeing how long that life can be.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - Cyd

I've recently seen two Renaults and a BMW with one failed DRL each. Two of them were the RH light. All three cars were under 3 yrs.

As replacements outside warranty are likely to be so expensive (as above), would it be MoTable to retrofit aftermarket DRLs to such a car and deactivate the OE fit items???

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - Smileyman

just drive on dipped headlights. It'll be cheaper than £500 and much kinder on other road users - no need to be faced down with gay-glow fairy lights

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - Snakey

just drive on dipped headlights. It'll be cheaper than £500 and much kinder on other road users - no need to be faced down with gay-glow fairy lights

Seconded - why Audi persist in fitting the campest looking lights onto their cars is beyond me, especially as a good percentage of their drivers are the aggressive tailgating type.

I'm not saying all audi drivers are like that - its just based on my observation, and the irony of being tailgated/cut up by a car that has the most mincing headlights is quite amusing ;-)

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - Collos25

I think a soldering iron and a trip to RS are in order before I would part with 500pounds.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - dieselnut

I have a BMW K1300 motorcycle that uses a LED rear light unit. Recently half of the stop lamp LED's failed. The rear light unit is all in one piece & costs well into £££ & would even have had to pay nearly £100 for a second hand replacement.

I looked carefully at its construction & was able to prise the clear plastic cover off easily, it seemed to be just superglued together. Then was able to remove the faulty LED's & driver circuits & replace with some superbright 12v LED's sourced from eBay @ less than £5 for 50 & only needed 9. Then superglued back together plus a smear of sealer to ensure it was waterproof again.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - bazza

I looked carefully at its construction & was able to prise the clear plastic cover off easily, it seemed to be just superglued together. Then was able to remove the faulty LED's & driver circuits & replace with some superbright 12v LED's sourced from eBay @ less than £5 for 50 & only needed 9. Then superglued back together plus a smear of sealer to ensure it was waterproof again.......

That's more like it! A man with a bit of grey matter and lateral thinking, I take my hat off to you, very useful post.

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - Hamsafar

Places repairing them can be found on ebay and with google.

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2055845.m570.l1...0 Some people repairtheir own rear clusters, but why dealers and garages don't do this is beyond me, it takes minutes, little skill, and propbably a higher margin and happier customer than a new lamp assembly.

Edited by Hamsafar on 30/10/2013 at 19:47

Audi A3 Sportback - Audi LED DRL Failure - Smileyman

I guess the manufacturer would not support dealers making unofficial repairs