Citroen xsara picasso - No glowplug light - Dobe

Hi guys

I have a 2006 citroen xsara picasso 1.6hdi desire 92, 74000 miles.

The first 2 years of ownership was fine, then i noticed the heaterplug light was just staying on for a split second when turning the ignition on, (it used to stay on for around 4/5 secs)

At the same time the car began getting harder to start and when it does start i'm getting a fair bit of smoke from the exhaust, this didn't happen before.

It's also harder to start and more smoke the colder the weather.

i've had the glowplugs changed...no different, so i was then advised to change the glowplug relay, which i did, still no change with starting but now i have no glowplug light at all!

Is there anything before the relay which could be causing the problem like a fuse or another relay??

The mechanic which changed the plugs seems to be at a loss.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by Dobe on 11/10/2013 at 19:24

Citroen xsara picasso - No glowplug light - Wackyracer

Your best option is to get a good auto electrician to take a look at it. He will be able to make the neccesary tests to find out what the problem is.

Citroen xsara picasso - No glowplug light - dieselnut

The glowplug relay is almost certainly activated via the ECU.

The ECU will need to know the engine temperature to decide how long to activate the glow plugs & will probably read the engine coolant temperature sensor.

This could have gone faulty telling the ECU the engine is hot. If you have a multimeter you could check the resistance of this sensor, they usually read a few hundred ohms when hot & a few thousand ohms when cold. It's a no cost place to start. If you havn't got a multimeter try just disconnecting the sensor plug, this will simulate a cool engine but will probably bring up a warning light on the dash.

Many thanks guys, I'll try disconnecting the coolant sensor if that gives me no joy I'll get a auto electrician onto it.
Citroen xsara picasso - No glowplug light - Micky-BO

No glow plug light is a good indicator of no power at / from ecu

As an update to this problem,
1st. Had a diagnostic test....no problems showing.
2nd. Tested power at heater plugs...power for 30secs after ignition, no light but no problem.
3rd. Had injectors tested, all four leaking back too much, all four refurbed £650
4th. Mechanic took it for a test drive, now saying turbo is shot, new cylinder fitted to turbo £220.
£870 spent already, hope it's stopped smoking when it comes back!
Citroen xsara picasso - No glowplug light - bjelivuk

Did you solve your problem with smoke and how?

I have the same problem.