MINI Cooper and Cooper S - Timing Chain Issues afflict standard Cooper? - Sirclip

Hi,

Could you please tell me if the timing chain issues that afflict the Cooper S (R56, 2007 on) also afflict the standard Cooper (petrol) models ?

Many thanks.

MINI Cooper and Cooper S - Timing Chain Issues afflict standard Cooper? - elekie&a/c doctor

I would say yes.Any of the late Mini petrol engines can suffer timing chain and tensioner problems.Same engine fitted to many Peugeot models.These engines seem to suffer from around 50k miles upwards.hth

MINI Cooper and Cooper S - Timing Chain Issues afflict standard Cooper? - Sirclip

Thanks for your response,

I'm so disillsioned and disappointed with BMW. I always held their cars & engineering in high regard, but no longer.

They seems to have serious (read expensive) problems with Cooper timing chains, their own problems with the N47 diesel engines in the 1/3/5 series and the well-known 'swirl flap issues.

Back to the drawing board.....

MINI Cooper and Cooper S - Timing Chain Issues afflict standard Cooper? - Dimebag

Dont be too disappointed, the mini is one of the biggest piles of crap on the road!