Moving - Back to the city...Daft question? Keep the car? - oldroverboy.

SWMBO has got a new job in a borough renowned for traffic problems and draconian parking enforcement. We have been lucky and found somewhere to live within a couple of hundred yards of her job, so no driving required under normal circumstances. Shops and local market walkable as. Zip car is available for short term (even hourly) rentals so should we keep the car or not? we will only occasionally need a car for weekends away.

Our current chevrolet cruze was bought cheap and has only cost servicing and rear pads so far, and is still under warranty. in about a year we might want a car again, so take the hit selling and find something in a year or just hang on tothe car.?

My insurance has risen a mighty £12 from small town wales street parking to big city on street parking. so costs of keeping the car are low.

Suggestions?

Moving - Back to the city...Daft question? Keep the car? - Bromptonaut

If you were starting from scratch it would be a no brainer - zip car or other hire on occasions you need a car. Given you've got the Cruze it's a lot more nuanced.

You say you will be parking on street. Two questions follow; will you have to pay for a permit and what's the likllihood of scrapes/scratches?

We lived in Watford for a few years, both working in London and biking to the station. Sometimes we'd leave the car for a fortnight without using it. At least once we had to scour the streets to find it!!

You say you will be parking on street. Two questions follow; will you have to pay for a permit and what's the likllihood of scrapes/scratches?

Answer 1: £135 annual parking permit

Answer 2: Quiet side street, section we are in no through road.

Moving - Back to the city...Daft question? Keep the car? - Bromptonaut

On that basis keep the car.

The clincher is that you expect to need it again in a year (SWMBO on a fixed term appointment?)

Moving - Back to the city...Daft question? Keep the car? - Sulphur Man

Yeah, keep it whilst it's still in warranty.

But beyond that, maybe try living without a car permanently?

Public transport and cabs in London, plus occasional weekend car hire for longer journeys, has got to be cheaper than running costs and depreciation, unless you choose to chop in the Cruze for some banger-economics special.

Moving - Back to the city...Daft question? Keep the car? - unthrottled

It all comes down to fixed costs. If you can keep them manageable then the convenience of having a car is worthwhile. But If your effective cost of motoring is £5 per mile (not implausible if you include depreciation) then it gets a bit silly.

The car had taken a massive 50% depreciation hit when i bought it 1 year old in Aug 2012, running costs have been 1 main dealer service (about£130) and rear pads £65. Where i was hesitating was because we do like to go to belgium and northern france, but yes, most of the time the car will sit quietly in the street. my insurance fully comp has risen (shock horror!) £12 for being in SW london, and if i sell without buying i'll have all the aggravation that implies,PLUS won't get a lot for it. and buying a known quantity of a car means nearly new car supermarket ex lease hire (1 yearish old) or older and more miles,

Seems the lesser evil is to keep it as i know what i've got. (Bird in the hand?) I especially don't want to find in a year or so that what is available is a 1.o litre ecoboost type thingy...

Moving - Back to the city...Daft question? Keep the car? - 72 dudes

Yes, keep the car, but keep it running and used. Machines don't like to be left for any length of time. Consider inflating the tyres to 40 psi if you know you will not be using it for a few weeks to avoid flat spots occuring (don't forget to deflate before taking it out again). Change the oil annually regardless of mileage too.