mazda 3 1.6d - Real life mpg after 6 months - motormouth

Hi

I'm really pleased with my mazda 3 1.6 D I bought new ( pre reg ) 6/12 ago. However , despite a lot of care I seem to be unable to get more than c48 mpg...the fuel monitor seems pretty accurate, and the brim to brim tests give a similar figure.

I ran it in as per Honest john advice

My old corolla diesel seemed to improve with age economywise, is it worth chatting to mazda or is this real life figure par for the course ?

Cheers

mazda 3 1.6d - Real life mpg after 6 months - craig-pd130

Depends what sort of driving you do.

If you're doing nothing but long open-road journeys of 50+ miles at a time, you should probably get more than 48mpg. If you do a mix of short hops and the odd longer trip then 48mpg is good.

mazda 3 1.6d - Real life mpg after 6 months - motormouth

I guess most journeys are 15 miles, mixed commuting, and similar distance journeys on off peak on A roads. However, on motorway journeys 70-80mph, the figures stay pretty much the same. I guess I was expecting a bit more from a smaller engine...a work mate with a 2.2 honda gets well over 50mpg, which I was sort of expecting tbh

mazda 3 1.6d - Real life mpg after 6 months - craig-pd130

A smaller engine doesn't always give better mpg - especially in modern cars, which are very heavy compared with their equivalents 10 years ago. Your Mazda is at least 1.3 metric tonnes which is a lot of metal to lug around, and that's typical of cars in the same class.

It's a sweeping generalisation, but smaller engines generally produce less power and torque, and usually over a narrower rev range, than larger-capacity engines. The larger engine doesn't have to be worked as hard to move the car along at typical road speeds, which means it can be as economical as the smaller engine when doing the same type/mix of driving.

For what it's worth, I'd say 48mpg is pretty good for your driving mix, to get more than 50mpg regularly from a medium-sized hatch is rare.

mazda 3 1.6d - Real life mpg after 6 months - Andrew-T

For what it's worth, I'd say 48mpg is pretty good for your driving mix, to get more than 50mpg regularly from a medium-sized hatch is rare.

I get about 62mpg from my Pug 207SW with 1.6 diesel, but I do it mostly on long runs, mostly non-M'way. This car is also well over a ton. I used to get about 55 from my 306 diesel, and I suspect the improvement may be partly due to electric steering assistance.

mazda 3 1.6d - Real life mpg after 6 months - skidpan

We had a Focus with the same 1.6 TDCi engine. In similar use it would do the high 40's thus your 48 mpg looks spot on to me. On a longer run you could get as high as 57 or 58 mpg. The problem we found was the warm up time, it took the longest time we have ever known, at least 6 miles in summer, 10 miles or more in winter which really hurts the MPG.

It will get better as the miles pile up, our current Kia Ceed has 30,000 on the clock and continues to improve.

mazda 3 1.6d - Real life mpg after 6 months - Peter.N.

You have to drive very gently to get the sort of consumption that manufacturers quote, I drive my 406 and C5 both 2.0. Hdi at rarely more than 60 mph or 2000 rpm and get an average of 55-60 with a little more on a long run but we do live in a rural area and rarely venture into towns.

As an earlier post said a bigger engine doesn't necessaraly mean worse fuel consumption. One of the factors that gives a diesel economy is that it will tolerate a very weak mixture, the less throttle you use the weaker the mixture, having a larger engine with more power means less throttle and lower revs both of which will improve economy.