Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - grayman

Advice please! - Am in France and need knowledge/info before a garage 'has me by the curlies...' and takes me to the cleaners! Does anyone have any experience of this?

Driving normally, slowing and got a judder (I thought I was too slow for still being in 5th gear), immediately depressed clutch (and engine stalled), changed gear and expected to 'bump re-start' car while still driving - but I had no clutch engagement.
Restarted car with key, could depress clutch normally (completely normal 'feel' on clutch pedal, could select all gears and neutral), -- but only the most minimal torsion from clutch - just enough to move car slowly (trying to find place to stop/park!) - and soon there was no friction/torsion at all.

This is totally different from a 'normal' slipping clutch: sudden onset from symptom-free, no warning of anything wrong - and I am always gentle on the clutch, to get longer life...

Car is Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles.
My own thoughts:
- Possible pressure plate sudden failure? (is it possible? but no previous symptoms...)
- Slipping of friction material? (rivets gone - but no previous noises or vibrations... or if bonded, failure of bond) - but wouldn't that give a burning smell? (no smell, no smoke, nothing...)
- is a broken shaft or anything possible?? (but no abnormal noises, grinds etc...)
- or diff or gearbox? (front wheel drive)

Tomorrow (Monday) I hope to recover the car but should ideally get it delivered to a garage.. and that is the problem. Once there - I will have no way of moving it again to get another quote... so I must do my 'homework' and telephoning first...

Would VERY much appreciate any constructive diagnostic help, to keep bills down!! Thanks :)
grayman

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - Oli rag

Possible sudden oil leak onto clutch?

You could be right with your idea of pressure plate failure.

Would still suspect an oil leak from either the crankshaft oil seal or a gearbox seal has contaminated the friction plate, you really should be able to see the leak if it is the cause.

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - grayman

Yes, I wondered about that too... I had to leave the car this morning - at the time I didn't see anything abnormal under the bonnet or under the car. But - it is a hydraulic clutch...
Certainly I will look carefully.

Unfortunately I don't have a Haynes manual to see where the slave cylinder is (internal to clutch housing or external) - and the car is 20 km away, so normally I can only look when going to get it picked up...

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - craig-pd130

If the master or slave cylinder had failed, I'd expect the clutch pedal would be limp or have loads of free travel ...

I'd suspect either the friction material has broken up or an oil leak has contaminated it, as Oli Rag said above. Best of luck with it.

I agree - and I found no abnormal pedal symptoms - so that is probably not hydraulics.

Does anyone have experience of this happening - a sudden unexplained oil contamination to the clutch? (Oli Rag?)

And... anyone have a ball-park figure in UK for a clutch change - 'with all bits' as I don't know what I'm facing here? and... of any relevant oil seals???!!

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - Cyd

I'd say it sounds very much like pressure plate failure. Usually (notice I said usually everyone, not always), friction plate wear can be discerned by slipping when the engine is under load (often in a higher gear). In my own case the last clutch friction plate failure I had showed up when the car was unable to reverse itself up a kerb, yet drove fine otherwise.

If a spring or two has broken in the pressure plate then this would be a sudden failure and may prevent the pressure plate clamping the friction plate sufficiently to provide drive without slipping.

I'm not convinced by the idea of an oil leak. Not unless the leak is severe. Oil fron the crank would run down the back of the block on the other side of the flywheel from the clutch.. Similarly oil from the gearbox should run down the bellhousing and drip out the bottom before getting on to the clutch.

Of course, the proof is in th epudding, or in this case the disassembly of the gearbox from the car. Try to be there once the gearbox is out.

Thank you Cyd for your thoughts... and for recommending being there when the gearbox is out (though that won't be so easy to arrange... - especially when first removed!)

I am more used to the idea of a seeping of oil, rather than a sudden flow, from a worn oil seal - so I tend to agree with your hesitation and would have thought i would have had some slipping first, that was noticeable. This went from 'normal' to 'totally abnormal' (unable to drive) in seconds.

Again - does anyone have personal experience or know of a sudden and total/nearly total/ failure like this? - (also with such an absence of any previous symptom?)

Thanks to all for your input!

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - bathtub tom

I've had sudden clutch slip from a gearbox oil seal letting go on an old Austin Maxi.

The symptoms were obvious, a patch of oil under the bellhousing and temporary resumption of grip if I slipped it enough to burn off the surface oil.

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - elekie&a/c doctor

I wonder if this car is fitted with a dual mass flywheel,that the 2 parts have become detached from each other.

Thanks e.doc.
Question: - Can a dual-mass flywheel completely fail (absence of transmitting drive), suddenly, with no previous jerkiness or noises or difficulties of gear change, no previous symptoms or indications at all ? I have 'googled' some, but not yet found similar symptoms.
Also - as stated, there was in fact some transmission friction for a while, enough to first move the car on the level at a very low speed (engine in first gear, on idle speed) though zero possibility of accelerating, and soon losing all friction.

The motor still runs normally, and no abnormal sound or feel when using the clutch pedal - no vibrations, noises of 'interference' of pieces rubbing/grinding past each other... nothing at all to say there is anything wrong (!)... except there is no drive between engine and road wheels!!

Also - no warning lights came on the dash: would I expect something from the ECU ?

Thanks again for all replies!

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - Peter.N.

In nearly 50 years of motoring I have never experienced that, the only time I had similar symptoms was in a Citroen XM on which the drive completely failed and I found this to due to failure of the o/s drive shaft centre bearing which had allowed the shaft to slide out of the gearbox.

Sorry you have the problem but would be very interested to hear the outcome.

Edited by Peter.N. on 23/09/2013 at 13:26

Thanks Peter. (And presumably you lost all power - because of the diff...)

Curious thing is that I had some traction for a time after... not much, but enough to move on the level... for a short while.

Anybody please -- comments/info on this aspect - of potential drive train problem - ie especially differential/ gearbox... /drive shaft/ joints/ ? - (ie. other than clutch?)

... keeping in mind the lack of signs of anything 'going' before it had 'gone' !

Thanks to all

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - elekie&a/c doctor

Something else that springs to mind,some of the early renault Megane/scenic models used to wear the splines on one of the driveshafts,thus no drive.I would hate to think how many clutches have been changed unnecessarily for this fault.hth

Would you imagine some bad sounds when those shaft splines first began to rotate? I have had no adverse symptoms... nothing at all!

Any (roadside) test that I can do to differentiate between a clutch problem, and another cause of 'disconnected drive between engine and road wheels' - a "rotating diff" (somehow...) or some internal malfunction of the gearbox, or anything??

By jacking up one front wheel and turning it while in gear, it should normally turn the engine. But if the diff is 'gone', or the clutch is 'gone' - it will turn in both cases, won't it?
All I might feel is potentially some change in stiffness to rotation, if there is still some friction remaining (but insufficient to drive the car...)

And in neutral, it should turn anyway... Or am I confusing myself...?

So I don't see a test manoeuvre, but has anyone any ideas?

I'm afraid otherwise of one of these stories where x, y and z (or French equivalent...) are changed 'in case'/ or 'maybe it's the...'... and it's all put back - with the same trouble as before... or a whopping bill for unnecessary labour and parts! :-(

Edited by grayman on 23/09/2013 at 18:51

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - Peter.N.

I think if you jacked one wheel up and turned it you would be able to feel if it was turning the diff and gearbox, there should be some resistance and if you suddenly reverse the direction it should 'clonk' as the slack is taken up, if you jack up both wheels it should turn the other one in the opposite direction as long as there is some load on it.

Peter

@ Peter - thanks for that.

I would probably have tried a 'reversing direction' on turning a wheel - but may not have thought to do it rapidly. Appreciated!

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to get both wheels up at the same time (equipment and opportunity...) - and I confess I didn't think of it -- so I appreciate that one too!

Other test mentioned to me:
Try with motor running, without using clutch, to go through the gears... results?

Anyone with any others?

Thanks, guys.

If you run the engine with it in gear, if the transmission is at fault you should at least be able to hear some noise from it which will stop when you depress the clutch.

UPDATE:
Sorry this is such a big post... I don't see how to make it shorter and still include the info... I have now run some tests on the vehicle...

PLEASE, please comment/help if you have knowledge and get insight from the following:

Car standing for 2 days: no abnormal oil leaks, normal level of hydraulic fluid, normal clutch pedal feel and movement (possibly a bit lighter than normal… but not markedly so).No visible signs of anything wrong. Starts easily, no abnormal sounds in neutral.

TESTS:
1) Engine off - without using clutch. Select all gears.
All gears selectable, feels normal selection. Same if clutch depressed.

2) Engine on – without using clutch. Select all gears
All gears selectable (engine running) - incl. reverse; some patience and steady pressure needed esp for 1 st ; other gears progressively less so. Car would start to try to move – (especially in 1 st, moved maybe 9” )– then almost ‘go through a resistance point’ then stop trying to move – (this is without brakes) – in 1 st it was almost as if it wanted to ‘go up over a curb’, or other resistance point, then ease off… rather than just rolling forwards – (curious!) moved maybe 9”

3) Engine off - Raise ONE front wheel and rotate manually both directions; test both sides.
Offside – rotatable ‘forwards’ in all forward gears, but not in reverse gear (engine resistance?)
Forwards: First there is resistance for some turning (maybe ½ - ¾ revolution in 1 st , less in others), then it eases off and can turn fairly freely.
Backwards: strong resistance in all forwards gears, not in reverse (was rotatable).

Nearside – Feels different to offside – could rotate both directions. But again, especially gears 2-5, resistance would slacken off after getting through a resistive phase. 1 st and reverse feel similar – a lot more resistance, and I am not sure if I am trying to turn the engine (definitely not, in higher gears).

4) Engine off - BOTH wheels raised; rotate both directions: (presumably testing differential and universal joints, shafts only, connecting both wheels – not its connection to gearbox) – one wheel rotates the other in opposite direction all gears incl. reverse.

Changing direction rapidly gives a ‘normal-sounding’ “clonk….clonk” as slack is taken up and the other wheel is braked and reversed direction. Feels normal to me.

5) Engine on: ONE wheel raised, test all gears, test both sides.
A definite difference offside/nearside….
Offside – test 1: all gears could be stopped by hand on wheel, or higher gears did not rotate wheel. Reverse - unfortunately I did not note reaction – and don’t remember (it was getting late, I was hurrying…)
Nearside – test 2: Different! Nearside, in 1 st (maybe second), wheel could not be stopped manually, or by friction from wheel spanner to tyre. If using brakes – it could be stopped but set up a nasty chattering sound’ – the kind of sound when there are two metal plates that rotate together – but they are loose – you get a kind of ‘chattering’ and ‘whirring’ sound… (if you understand!!). Higher gears could be stopped by hand (2 nd needed care…) – always with this ‘chattering’ sound.

Offside repeated – test 3: NOTE: after testing nearside: initially now it is a similar result, with the ‘chattering’ (not heard the first time…) – then it settled as test continued, to ‘not chattering’ – ie. basically as it was before - though it is a little noisier… something not entirely ‘as before’

Current conclusions : But – PLEASE ADVISE if you have knowledge of this!!

a)-- the “clutch problem -- I am now questioning this, having a different result nearside/offside… I cannot see a logic for it being clutch … but I have no experience of dual-mass flywheels... is that a game-changer? I state again there was no previous symptoms, no ‘chatter’ or vibration or difficulty selecting gears, no indication of clutch slip, before the sudden onset, as seems to be for people I have googled on this question.

b)-- The differential -- SEEMED to connect normally the both sides (road wheels)…. though its connection to gearbox has not been isolated. And – its ‘test’ was with both wheels free to rotate – just sensing the resistance to inertia of changing direction. When one wheel was on ground, and in gear, the feel was completely different… I could rotate a road wheel while in gear

c)-- universal joints, shafts etc connecting the two wheels – seem in normal order

d)-- the gearbox would SEEM to me to be the culprit… but just what has happened, is beyond my depth.

PLEASE – if you have constructive knowledge – or need more infoPLEASE comment!

I am hoping for a strong diagnosis if at all possible!

And yes – I am aware that the only real answer is to take it apart… - though once it is with a garage, I am stuck with whatever they dish me up, good or bad!

Will I need a new gearbox? and total cost?
Is something repairable – and worth repairing? (guess cost??)
What of the clutch/dual-mass flywheel? cost clutch / clutch and DMF?
Any other comments!!!

Many, many thanks!!

Grayman

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - skidpan

Will I need a new gearbox? and total cost?
Is something repairable – and worth repairing? (guess cost??)
What of the clutch/dual-mass flywheel? cost clutch / clutch and DMF?

At some point you have got to make the decsion to scrap the car or pay a garage to investigate/repair it.

The questions you are asking are impossible to answer on a forum, only a garage can diagnose/repair.

You will have to trust a garage or simply scrap the car and get another.

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - scotmech

" normal clutch pedal feel and movement (possibly a bit lighter than normal… but not markedly so)"

A possible clue is the lighter clutch pedal ... the only reason a clutch pedal can be lighter must be connected with the pressure plate assembly ...

The diaphragm spring plate is like a dished plate with fingers and pivots on pins and sits convex, when pressed it moves to a concave shape, this lifts the face plate and releases the clutch friction plate ...

I have only seen this once in my long career in the motor trade (am now retired) ...

I had one that the diaphragm plate split , this weakened the clutch sufficiently to give a weaker pedal but very little pressure to clamp the friction plate ...

This is a possibility ...

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - focussed

You say that you are stuck in France and have been since Sunday 22nd. Whereabouts in France are you stuck? I live here and depending on where you are may be able to point you in the right direction to get some help.

Its very unlikely that the gearbox would have failed, the input and output shafts are very substantial so unless all the gears had lost their teeth you will still have drive through the box. Unlikely as it seems I would say its the clutch that has had some sudden mechanical failure. I have never heard of a DMF completely falling apart and causing lack of drive, they normally give warning noises if they are worn.

I hacve a 406 and C5 both with Hdi engines and both at around 200,000 miles, still with original clutches and flywheels, the clutches on both vehicles are worn as they disengage right at the top of the pedal but they were like that when I bought them and have not got noticably worse in many thousands of miles so my personal opinion is sudden and complete clutch failure.

UPDATE 7 Oct (I had no news before...) - What is needed to remove clutch - and drop gearbox out?
(And thanks @'focussed' and PeterN...)

Car is finally waiting for dismantling and seeing what is up - hopefully repair not scrapping...
The local garage guy has not dealt with one of these cars before but I still favour him over a Citroen agency (he is just 4 doors from me... a good guy, and not averse to getting a second-hand gearbox to fit if necessary). When he lifted the bonnet he began to say the exhaust had to come off and other things to get access to bolts etc (but he has not yet had it up on the ramp) --

I would really appreciate to know from someone who has worked on these - what is involved to get clutch out - and also get gearbox/integral diff. out? (I've googled but not found out what I need).

I thought it was take off the nearside wheel and driveshaft, etc; probably disconnect necessary suspension components -- and access from the side?

Any checklist/order / and advice for easiest route -- would be v. v. much appreciated!
grayman

Edited by grayman on 07/10/2013 at 20:34

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - galileo

Haynes Manual? £14.51 from Amazon or about £10 from Abebooks.co.uk

Yeah good idea ...but...

Right now I have an irate mechanic swearing at my car -- not a happy guy -- not much way I can give him any 'good ideas'-- only unless from someone who really knows! - he believes he has to dismantle left right and centre... and has been going 3-4 hours already and is not even close to dropping out the box...

I found on the internet it quoted for 6-7 hours for a clutch change for this car - this is going to be that before the box is even out!

Any info any readers?? Can you describe best technique in simple terms?

This is going badly right now!

Thanks

Well - I had one very frustrated mechanic - but 'job is done'...or nearly -- and probably a long way round...

(I would still be v. interested to know the right way to get out the box??/simplest solution? He took out both drive shafts, through undoing both bottom ball jpoints - also the radiator and exhaust downpipe (filter) for easier access - other parts too - but a really great guy.)

So - result of trouble? A piece of plastic! PLASTIC -- in the 'heart' of the bi-mass flywheel... a 'spider' controlling positioning of the heads of a number of springs enclosed in tubs in a 'star' configuration -- it was broken in pieces... so the spring carriers moved, and... no more drive! The metal carriers at the central attachments of the 'star' configuration are all bent out of shape (effectively 'compressed' > made shorter, allowing the centre to rotate irrespective of the peripheral surface for the friction plate (or the toothed flywheel if you prefer: same effect).

So the dual mass no longer had 'drive' capacity... leaving me with a 'normal feeling' clutch pedal, and even engine/gearbox sounds -- but no 'go'.

I hope to post some pics. of this if you are interested.... meanwhile I pick up the tab of 1100€ or about £850 (not yet received bill...) - for a piece of PLASTIC given to me by manufacturers of a high-stress item: a clutch and flywheel! Incredible...

Enjoy your motoring...

grayman

Edited by grayman on 09/10/2013 at 16:21

When I said 'job is done...' - I really meant: 'problem revealed'! . And relief it was not gearbox or diff, after all. So - job was done enough to reveal the true problem... Now another 4.5 hours labour - but job not yet done. I'll let you know about the bill... :-!

Enjoy your motoring...

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - littleolliez

I hate to say this but my mum had the same problems it seems to be a problem with them. She had to have whole new clutch fitted and when spoke to people seems alot go at 60k and just above yet citreon will not admit its faulty.

Citroen Xsara Picasso, 1.6 TDi, 2004, 75k miles - Sudden total clutch slip(?) - no previous symptoms - barrywilson@outlook.com
Hi I also have the exact same problem with a xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi I have replaced the dual mass flywheel and have fitted a new clutch that was supplied with the car it looked identical to the one I took off, when I tightened the pressure plate up fully I was still able to move the clutch plate any ideas anyone all info is showing this gearbox as a be4r box but when I described the box to a gearbox specialist he told me they call that type of box a DA box and that they are bad for the planetary gears failing and tho can give the same symptom's as described above the clutch plate shouldn,t move when fully tightened kin of stumped here I checked the serial number of the supplied clutch and its for a be4r box so there shouldn't be a problem with it mating with the flywheel I bought which is also for a be4r box