diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - borderman44

DPF and removing it

I been reading threads on her about removing the dpf and how it’s against the law or illegal to do so.

For years manufactures have been lying to there customers this is illegal its ok for them to say its ok to drive around town it makes be mad when people say you can’t take these off the car as far as I am concerned they are not fit for purpose when you buy a car you should be used for the purpose it was built any purpose the diesel particulate filter is a useless piece of junk that blocks up and if the light is ignored can damage the engines, how come you have to drive it hard for 20 minutes to regenerate the Dpf people should stop buying diesel cars for around town trips its false economy when you have to waste fuel to fix these dam things ,as for vosa i phoned them an as long as the car meets the emissions test they don’t have a problem with this its more of an insurance issue as it’s a modification i think people should get the facts right it might be illegal to take them off but some companys are selling these cars stateing its ok to use them on short trips if you lived in an Eu country it might be illegal . I would stop buying diesel cars I think the dpf on some models people should be allowed to remove them because all they do is cause problems the Eu law should keep the nose out of the uk may be the Eu should stop these manufactures that lie to their customers or there should be warning signs up in the dealerships about this useless heap of junk .an till they become fit for purpose and then people take them off then it should be illegal manufactures are cashing in on these dpfs failing all over the country they should be replacing them for free and not charging customers because if an item is doomed to fail at any point it’s not fit for purpose don’t buy a diesel car with a dpf on as you will hate it people will be driven away from diesel cars if the dpf remains an on going problem they should rename it what a load of rubbish .

one of the reason people buy diesel cars is to get a few extra miles whats the point in buying a diesel if you have to buy additives its all false economy,you look at the fuel figuers and say wow i am going to save a fortune in fuel costs but the reality is your going to save nothing as diesal is more at the pumps and a diesal car is more exspensive to buy .

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - madf

I never read long posts with no paragraphs. Too tiring.

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - DrippingSump

I am with you madf. I am going to wait for the abridged version.

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - Wackyracer

Seems like aload of nonsense ranting to me, Maybe the abbreviated version will be correct with facts rather than thoughts?

It is not illegal to remove DPF's, The same as it is not illegal to use a different brand of tyre to what the car left the factory with or to use fuel/oil brands other than the manufacturer reccomends using.

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - Bromptonaut

Aside from some gibes at the EU point seems to be about DPF and unsuitability of (some?) cars so equipped for contiuous short term urban use. There have been more comprehensible accounts allegeing garages fail to deter such users from seeking the 'economy' of a diesel. To that extent there may be a point.

Got our fourth diesel car on 03 Sept and as a 115PS Berlingo it has a DPF. Said to be maintenance free. Given our driving covers 15-20k miles pa and plenty of sustained high speed running I'm not expecting it to trouble me. Certainly not been aware of it regenerating so far - about 800miles done to date.

ld - borderman44

d

Edited by borderman44 on 18/09/2013 at 15:40

Sorry Dyslexia i do rant on a bit i know it don't make sence lol,

you got all these cars with these filters on are they really worth buying any of them when you do 300 miles around town then you have to take a trip for 20 minutes to clear the dam things out what a waste of fuel .

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - unthrottled

you got all these cars with these filters on are they really worth buying any of them when you do 300 miles around town then you have to take a trip for 20 minutes to clear the dam things out what a waste of fuel .

How many people drive 300 miles solid urban driving without an interim run on a dual carriageway? Those that do would have been better advised to opt for petrol.

It's only fair that as technology improves the benefits are shared between the operators of the vehicle and those standing outside the vehicle. If you don't want a DPF then buy a pre Euro V vehicle.

But think about the scalability of your DPF delete 'solution': If everyone removes their particulate traps and city air quality does not improve, the result will be ever more draconian emissions legislation in a bid to siolve a problem that does not need to exist. Think of 1970's American cars...

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - john96

I could almost agree with all the gubbins added to our cars and the taxes we are forced to pay that go along with them if all the older "polluting" cars were crushed, however as they are (often) sold on to eastern europe or the third world, why should we bother.

or do pollutants only count in the EU???

or do pollutants only count in the EU???

Pollution is a localised problem. CO2 can be considered a global problem, but NO/PM is only of interest in areas of high vehicle density such as city centres.

most people don't go out of town these days and in the cold weather they are much worsh because its cold starting and stoping short journeys in the winter months just puts more fuel down the dpf so it blocks up quiker this will cause more regeneration and in order to a full regeneration you have to hard drive it for 20mins in 4th gear at over 2500 revs this is how crap they are have a look at the video please tell me how a car like this is classed as economical how much saving in fuel as this guy lost its pathetic and they should all be removed .what people should do is not buy these cars and then they might not fit them in the first place .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtI5sDzSAWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0MqfeF6PGE

You, my son, have hit the nail right on the head.? This is p*** poor design at its Best!! We the consumer (unknowningly) pay out the ass to buy this heralded engineering only to pay again their faulty design fails!! Quality and frequency of oil changes has very little to do with it. Terrible design!!

why are we paying for there failer us the motorist have to buy special oils pay more for better fuel quailty where is the savings in this type of car if you do 62 to the galion you spend the next loss in cleaning the soot out of this heap of rubbish .

lmao my question as been answered in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwjamZ98Ebk

in order to a full regeneration you have to hard drive it for 20mins in 4th gear at over 2500 revs

No. This is what people who don't let ignorance get in the way of trying to find a solution to a problem and blaming everyone else when they don't succeed.

Using the highest gear possible gives the best fuel economy and the highest exhaust gas temperatures which aid soot burn-up.

Running around in low gears with the revs screaming away achieves neither.

Don't take my word for it. Join a truckers' forum and try telling them that running round in a low gear gives high EGTs or clears DPFs. They often have exhaust pyrometers so they know what's going on.

Some of these recurring DPF problems will be due to faults on those particular vehicles (faulty pressure sensors etc) which have been misdiagnosed as blocked DPF.

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - maximus

As a layman even I understand the problems with dpf technology. However as a layman I can quite understand that particulates can be harmful to ones health. Also, as an observation(!) I do not notice the plumes of black exhaust smoke that used to be so common, which I presume is partly due to dpf's. Therefore it is quite understandable why they are fitted..As a dpf car owner I await to see if any problems in the future.

Edited by maximus on 19/09/2013 at 18:15

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - Ordovices

The plumes of black smoke that you used to see (Ford 2.3?) have largely been obviated by diesel injection and combustion technology advances, rather than solely by the DPF.

Take a relatively modern car without a DPF (Hyundai/Kia for instance) and compare its output to a Perkins 4.236 hoofed into a landy and you will see what I mean.

Judging emissions by what's visible is irrational CO, NOx, HC and small particles are all invisible so presumably out of sight, out of mind...?

The belch of black smoke on acceleration was smelly and unsightly but probably quite benign as the huge soot particles fell out of the atmosphere in a matter of minutes.

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - Ordovices

The black smoke is just the visible element of the poor combustion. It too contained all of the partially oxidised fuel, aromatics and nano particles, left to roam free when the rest settled as dust.

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - Roly93

A hard to read post !

However if you have diesel DPF problems you have probably bought a diesel where a diesel car is innappropriate.

I have an A4 TDI 143. The only time I have seen a DPF regen ever take place is the week I bought the car probably after it had been test driven and shunted around the dealership etc.

My driving profile is 2 - 3 motorway journeys a week of at least 100 miles each. With maybe 10 miles of sub-urban driving on the weekend.

My car has been returning 48+ MPG on average, so my point is that this is the habitat of a DPF/diesel car really.

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - Paul_T

Is there ever a danger that removing the DPF might lead to the car failing the emissions test?

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - brum

Is there ever a danger that removing the DPF might lead to the car failing the emissions test?

Yes.

It may fail the current (or future, probably more stringent) smoke/emissions MOT test.

It may fail when the MOT rules fully embrace EU leglisation which prohibit the removal of DPF (or modification/removal of any factory fitted emission control or safety systems)

diesel cars - DPF and removing it my opinion - oldtoffee

Looked at the OP, too difficult to read plus far too dodgy spelling and grammar so gave up. Enjoyed reading through the replies though.